New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around the forum to see if this had been reported and I couldn't find that it had. So, here are some useful links to the recent Federal Court decision allowing people residing in DC and visitors to carry concealed. They were previously limited to possession in the home; much like NY restricted permit.

The court's decision leaned heavily on Peruta, McDonald , and Heller decisions and seemed t take forever to be decided. It will probably be appealed and if upheld at the next level, would have significant implications for carry in NY. Here's a link to the actual decision and it is very well worth reading!
Judge rules against Washington's handgun ban - CNN.com

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/07/27/dc.gun.ban.order.pdf

NOW, can we find a plaintiff who has been denied an unrestricted permit and wants to challenge NY's screwy system???

·
Registered
236 Posts
I looked around the forum to see if this had been reported and I couldn't find that it had. So, here are some useful links to the recent Federal Court decision allowing people residing in DC and visitors to carry concealed. They were previously limited to possession in the home; much like NY restricted permit.

The court's decision leaned heavily on Peruta, McDonald , and Heller decisions and seemed t take forever to be decided. It will probably be appealed and if upheld at the next level, would have significant implications for carry in NY. Here's a link to the actual decision and it is very well worth reading!

NOW, can we find a plaintiff who has been denied an unrestricted permit and wants to challenge NY's screwy system???
There is no need for a new case. The Kachalsky case in the second circuit already upheld discretionary issuance of carry licenses, and this case just blew it into the weeds. There is now a circuit court split. It is headed for the big bench now. The best news I have read in months!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Tresmond already has a case concerning the permiting system here in NY . So between this ruling and their suit , it should really rock Albany ,s boat pretty good ! These legislators are going to busy trying to come up with another idea to take the place of Sullivan and Dafe because this just blew them both out of the water !

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

NY's "restricted" permits do not limit you to your home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some do, however, limit you to target shooting and hunting and transport to and from. Which, theoretically (or maybe even actually) means you cannot stop for gas on the way or use a bathroom etc.

Unless I am mistaken, which is entirely possible.

Tim

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not under the law but the fact remains you have judges putting additional administrative restrictions on permits. At the very least it may get that ended. I see the bigger implications for NYC than upstate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Issuance, restrictions and revocations are not determined by the penal code, but by arbitration in adjudication. We are already having this debate in another thread.

Darth is correct in that you can't be lawfully arrested via the penal code (not so say that you wouldn't be handcuffed and taken in... which very well might happen). But, the issuing authority most certainly has authority regarding restrictions on the permit and revocation for any reason they see fit. A revoked permit... defaults to the penal code regarding illegal carry.

Mentioning the penal code or "law" in general is a moot point to the discussion.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If I had to guess, that's because of the nature of the city being the capital of our country and all that entails. NYC attracts liberals, plain and simple. Those who aren't liberal were either born here or absolutely had to take a job here for whatever reason. DC is the big show for people involved in Federal politics, lobbying, defense, foreign affairs, etc. There are a lot of people there who have no other choice but to live there. It's not your typical liberal utopia like NYC is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts