·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Good. Let em...

Then when SCOTUS overrules their copy, our own Sullivan laws will also go the way of the dodo

·
Registered
637 Posts
From the sounds of the decision, I don't know if this judge would be OK with NYC style laws. One of the points he brought up was the need to allow citizens from outside DC to carry. And, the restrictive policies from NYC may not float with him - remember this case revolves around carry outside the home. All the plaintiffs should have to do is produce the Stossel piece where he was denied a permit even though he provided proof that he had received death threats.

So, yes, go ahead and copy NYC laws...then when they are struck down there, it helps us.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
So the big question who gets too sign off on the laws? The city or the judge.

If they adopt NYC carry laws I cant see this judge signing off on it based on what he said in his decision. My guess is they implement NYC style laws and it ends up in limbo for another 10 years until another case gets through the system.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
NYC style permit system might meet the standard if they allow out of state to regrister. I stress the word style. The appeals courts have in some circuits upheld the "need" requirement. And Sotomyer already ruled in such a way. Kagan opinion in the most recent case points that she also leans the wrong way on the issue. The others we can look at the heller vote. It is Kennedy swing vote again with a Roberts possible wrong vote. It can't be trusted

·
Registered
685 Posts
NYC style permit system might meet the standard if they allow out of state to regrister. I stress the word style. The appeals courts have in some circuits upheld the "need" requirement. And Sotomyer already ruled in such a way. Kagan opinion in the most recent case points that she also leans the wrong way on the issue. The others we can look at the heller vote. It is Kennedy swing vote again with a Roberts possible wrong vote. It can't be trusted
To much at stake with these gun restrictions and bans to trust those two supreme judges. Most of the other states - approx. 44 - are free states (w/ no AWB and shall issue policies). IMO - the pro 2nd Amend judges would rather defer these cases back to the lower courts rather than lose a major decision. Better to let the residents of NY,MA,CT,MD,CA and Ill suffer then to ' F' it up for the rest of the nation.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

If they adopt NYC carry laws I cant see this judge signing off on it based on what he said in his decision. My guess is they implement NYC style laws and it ends up in limbo for another 10 years until another case gets through the system.
Oh, this is much better than you can imagine. Since DC is not a state, Congress actually controls all DC law. They do allow a fair bit of home rule for DC legislators, but they could pull that home rule option at any time, or repeal any law passed by the DC council.

Several key D senators are up for re-election in Nov midterms in swing states. The stay on the court order is 90 days I believe, so if the DC council passes some law which is a travesty and Congress tries to repeal it, the D senators fighting to hold their seats are going to have to make another stand favoring gun control weeks before their elections.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
This is all such BS- if there's to be any licensing at all, to come even close to Constitutional it should be shall issue- and once issued all states must honor it like a drivers license. Period

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
This is all such BS- if there's to be any licensing at all, to come even close to Constitutional it should be shall issue- and once issued all states must honor it like a drivers license. Period
so what are the chances of us getting you into the SCOTUS?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
From what I read today the NYC style was kinda shot down ! It seems that since the objection to the prior laws was there was no reciprocity in the laws , NYC doesn't have one either ! It seems that a few senators are watching this very close to make sure that it's a " shall issue " law instead of a " May issue " , the commentator seemed to think that with the rulings on McDonald , Peruta , the city would be forced to go " shall issue " in order to comply with the ruling ! This is good news for us ! Plus the lawyers are going to appeal !

·
Registered
6,323 Posts

the city will make their own laws. Somebody will have to challenge them again to get in front of the judge.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
the city will make their own laws. Somebody will have to challenge them again to get in front of the judge.
Is this true? The judge stayed his decision for 90 days. Doesn't a stay mean the case is still open?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
From what I read today the NYC style was kinda shot down ! It seems that since the objection to the prior laws was there was no reciprocity in the laws , NYC doesn't have one either ! It seems that a few senators are watching this very close to make sure that it's a " shall issue " law instead of a " May issue " , the commentator seemed to think that with the rulings on McDonald , Peruta , the city would be forced to go " shall issue " in order to comply with the ruling ! This is good news for us ! Plus the lawyers are going to appeal !
The problem like I've said is they don't like to lose. So they have to issue permits, but that will 1000 dollars a month for you to keep it. Jefferson once said "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." That's the only way to beat these ass holes

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
FYI there seems to movement on the " new " bill concerning concealed carry in DC according to various sources . It seems that 2 DC city council members came off vacation to draft a " new bill " on the carrying of weapons and from someone ( in the know ) has said that the words " shall issue " were in the rough draft . From someone in the know said that the lawyers said that rather than take a chance that SCOTUS ruling against them in their appeal to SCOTUS , they had better write a bill that would " please the court " . It seems that there were limiting factors on where carry was legal but from what was said the city would be voting on the " new rules " sometime next week when everyone was back from vacation ! According to these sources it seems that the city,s lawyers said that adopting rules from NYC was asking for another" smack down " from the court !

·
Registered
286 Posts
According to these sources it seems that the city,s lawyers said that adopting rules from NYC was asking for another" smack down " from the court !
Add to this that if they do adopt the same rules as NYC and the Fed court does smack it down then that would leave the door wide open for a suit to smack NYC's rules down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts