New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like a 6" to 7" inch barrel light single action smooth trigger~ considering doing a .22 pistol league. Thinking around 500$ or less then maybe another 70$ or so for a competition grip if it doesn't have one already. Thinking maybe a Ruger Mark 3 Hunter?
I dont have much experience with .22 pistols any advice or suggestions are appreciated! (wont be until after tax check around April just doing my homework) Have have a gun dealer that will get me a good price just not sure what i want. (although that mark 3 hunter looks sweet lol).

· Registered
1,176 Posts
i have a mark III hunter. if i had to do it all over again i would've gone with a browning buckmark. i have more rugers than anything else in my collection and am definitely a fan, but dis/reassembly of that line of pistol is overcomplicated and tedious. the supplied directions aren't explicit enough and i had to spend some time writing my own for a reference once i figured it out. it's a great gun with lots of options, just a royal pain in the ass to clean. if you still want one i'll sell ya mine cheap!

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
I'll throw another vote in for Buckmarks. Nice trigger, accurate, easy to clean, and they last forever. Get one that has the built in weaver rail on the barrel and drop a good red dot on it and you will have a great bullseye gun. We've been running a 5.5 Target since 1998, shot cases of ammo through it and it still runs great.

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks~now any grip suggestions?

· Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a buckmark and i havent needed anyother .22 target pistols. Out of the box I havent felt the need to upgrade anything on it. Its probably the only gun i own i havent and have no plans to modify.

· Registered
907 Posts
here's a suggestion. go to some gun shops and pick up the guns you are interested in. if they have 2 of the same gun in 2 different bbl lengths stand and aim at arms length at distance in the shop. i think you'll find you can hold a shorter 5" bbl gun steadier than say a 7". maybe it's just me but try it.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't shoot in any .22 leagues, but when I made this decision, I went with a revolver. Specifically, the S&W 617. My reasoning was that even the best semi-autos have ammo issues with some brands. No worry about jamming or feeding issues. Plus, I can use it to shoot shorts, longs, the super quiet stuff, shotshells, etc.

Scope mounts are available without any drilling or tapping (it replaces the rear sight mount). They come in 10 round capacities which will match any post-ban semi-autos. The trigger feels like it is about 1oz in single action, if you touch it it fires. It's very easy to be very accurate with it. The DA pull is amazing but for target you probably wouldn't use this much. No picking up brass, empty the revolver into a box and toss it.

The only thing it needs out of the box is a better front sight, or some orange paint on the front sight. I have a red fiber optic being installed on mine as we speak.

Just something to think about. When I did my research, I would have gotten a Buckmark without hesitation had I not gone with the Smith.

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
I don't shoot in any .22 leagues, but when I made this decision, I went with a revolver. Specifically, the S&W 617. My reasoning was that even the best semi-autos have ammo issues with some brands. No worry about jamming or feeding issues.
The nice part about bullseye is they give you alibis for gun and ammo malfunctions.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
i have a mark III hunter. if i had to do it all over again i would've gone with a browning buckmark. i have more rugers than anything else in my collection and am definitely a fan, but dis/reassembly of that line of pistol is overcomplicated and tedious. the supplied directions aren't explicit enough and i had to spend some time writing my own for a reference once i figured it out. it's a great gun with lots of options, just a royal pain in the ass to clean. if you still want one i'll sell ya mine cheap!
How cheap haha

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a suggestion. go to some gun shops and pick up the guns you are interested in. if they have 2 of the same gun in 2 different bbl lengths stand and aim at arms length at distance in the shop. i think you'll find you can hold a shorter 5" bbl gun steadier than say a 7". maybe it's just me but try it.
I looked around at a few gun shops local none of which had the 7" in stock.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
+1 more for the Buckmark.. I just got one, have only had the chance to put about 50 rounds through it, but it's amazing! I could hit a 4" steel target with all 10 rounds in about 2 seconds, amazing trigger!

I havent had the chance to shoot the Colt yet, it was having FTF issues

· Registered
274 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark II Target, SS, Slab sided bull barrel, rosewood thumbrest grips, adjustable sights, and I have a millet red dot on it. Got it in 1999. It's an absolute tack driver. Very nice gun and I get compliments all the time. Sorry, the only picture I have has a few other guns in it. Good luck.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
460 Posts
i just purchased a ruger 22/45 5.5" bbl. i also handled the buckmark and i must say i loved the grip on it over the ruger but i still picked the ruger because i have shot them before and think they are great. i did get the one that doesnt have the removable grips which i wish it had so i could change out my grips for ones i like more but i have seen videos of people grinding down the built in grip and drilling holes to put on 1911 grips which i am going to consider doing once i shoot it.

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Went with a S&W 22A price was right love the gun and i can afford to shoot it all day every day~ Ammo been killing me lately!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.