New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone in the Rochester area has a 3" Kimber raptor 2 or other 3" 1911. I would like to test fire something before I commit to it. I could supply my own .45 ammo.

Also wouldn't mind firing a small ruger LCR.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but if you want to fire a full size 1911 I have a Kimber Eclipse Target that you can shoot.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the market for a raptor 2 for the sex but is rather test drive it before I commit about 1,200.00 to it..

Alltho the 5" wouldent be bad, might make me want one of them instead..

And here I thought " I won't want alot of handguns once i get my permit"..... Oh well Its better than a meth addiction lol

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Jeff, I am glad you posted that video. I love 1911s but I am not a fan of 3" 1911s for this reason. The evidence is out there, all over the 1911 forums. Their is a reason top 1911 smiths do not work on the 3" guns that much, or at all. They are not reliable in my opinion, and many other people agree. The fact that this video was posted with Pincus (a well known trainer) backing it should back the information even more.

I know people out there will disagree, say things like 'my gun has never had a problem.' But to properly test a carry gun, I think it should be put through a 8hr class or the equivalent. Every gun I have has been thorouly tested at the range before it was carried. I have a 3'' Kimber .45, it sucks for a carry gun. It does not cycle most hollow point ammo and even chokes on ball often. I would never trust a 3" 1911.

Just my two cents,
George

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not trying to sway you from buying one or hijack this thread. Just want people to make educated decisions when it comes to buying carry guns. Even range guns, they are not much fun if they do not run properly.

If you are looking for a carry 1911, 5" and 4 1/4" 1911s are not that difficult to conceal.

George

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just like the look of a 3" 1911. I'm sure I'll buy one. Probly to just sit in the safe and look sexy..

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wish I could help you. I love the idea of using this forum to test fire guns before buying, since there are really no other opportunities in our area. I tried to do a similar thing once (wanted to shoot a Sig P220 before choosing to buy an HK45) but no one could help.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II, using 230 JHP I had no trouble putting a magazine through it. I don't see the point of trying to put 300 rounds through it in one day at the range torture testing it. I only need it to fire the 7 in the magazine. It does that without any problems.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I have a sub compact .45 with over 1K flawless rounds through it. It's just not a 1911 style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts