New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone go on want ad online? Is it me or are the prices that people are asking on their rediculous? Nevermind the question, I know they are.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Some of them sure are silly. $800 Keltech Sub200? That's double the retail price. Just silly IMHO

·
Registered
420 Posts
i saw a wasr on their not too long ago for $1000 and a hi -point for $600 firm
the only firm thing you get on that price tag is NO

I saw a AR's going from what is usually market price for a preban....when they are not. You really have to find deals elsewhere these days

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Some people advertise "no background check"
This is why when I'm selling firearms only allow people with pistol permits to buy. It takes out the guesswork of who is legal and who is not. I probably would lose sales but in the long run I have to think of my butt on the line. People who announce no background check are probably not legal to own a gun to begin with. I would flag the ad.

James

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've bought and sold a few things there, mainly before I was on line and I bought the paper copy.LOL

Can't say I have seen anyone saying no backround check, but I don't read every ad.

That's a fair price on the Valmet 412, 2 barrel set, on there right now.....

Spare barrel sets are easy to find, good reliable scope mount for adding rifle calibers availible.

Good starter set for those looking for a combination gun with a decent regulating adjustment.

A FTF with some cash may get a real deal....hmmmm.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
This is why when I'm selling firearms only allow people with pistol permits to buy. It takes out the guesswork of who is legal and who is not. I probably would lose sales but in the long run I have to think of my butt on the line. People who announce no background check are probably not legal to own a gun to begin with. I would flag the ad.

James
I'm a criminal in James' eyes ...... :( That hurts man ... that really hurts. (j/k) ;) Would you accept a copy of my 03FFL?? I knew I should have gotten my pistol permit!! Dang it!! I can't stand the Want Ad Digest. WAAYYYYYYY Overpriced ... It's almost as bad as going to ... oh nevermind. LOL

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been watching the wantads for months and have not really seen a darn thing there I'd buy. Meanwhile I've bought a shotgun, rifle, barrel, and more on Armslist. All at fair prices. It seems to be a lot of dealers on the want ads, not really marked as such, selling 4-10 rifles/shotguns, without prices sometimes. Mostly a waste, but I do keep watching for a nice deal close enough to buy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Two things:
1- The 2012/end of days thing has driven the price of guns sky high as the market has been flooded with brand new inexperienced buyers. The kind of people who don't buy guns till they think the world is going to end.

2- Supply and demand is a simple concept. It is a pain in the ass to find a Sub-2000, also a lot of people want them. That is the recipe for the cost of a product to increase.

***These two factors working simultaneously with the state constantly trying to increase gun restriction only lends itself to even more inflation in the market.

·
Registered
188 Posts
They are high in some peoples opinion. HOWEVER, they sell. And if the customer is happy, and the seller is happy, then it was a solid deal. If it is worth it to someone to pay $800 for a Sub-2000, it was because they wanted it that bad and not because the deal was to good to refuse.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes prices are high now, but the prices on want-ad are just rediculous, and they have been for years. I think it has less to do with the "end of days", and more of it is people trying to get rich. It's dealers/individuals trying to make money off of people that can't legally own guns by offering a no background check purchase, or like you said, the sellers are going after the inexperienced buyers who don't know the value of things.

You say as long as the buyer and seller are happy that's all that matters. Well I guarantee the inexperienced buyer that pays $800 for a sub 2000 wont be happy when they find out later they paid double retail price. Yes prices are inflated right now, but not that much.

NO experienced buyer will pay $800 for a sub-2000, no matter how bad they want it. If for some crazy reason they are willing to pay that much, they should be banned from purchasing firearms as they are helping drive the prices up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes prices are high now, but the prices on want-ad are just rediculous, and they have been for years. I think it has less to do with the "end of days", and more of it is people trying to get rich. It's dealers/individuals trying to make money off of people that can't legally own guns by offering a no background check purchase, or like you said, the sellers are going after the inexperienced buyers who don't know the value of things.

You say as long as the buyer and seller are happy that's all that matters. Well I guarantee the inexperienced buyer that pays $800 for a sub 2000 wont be happy when they find out later they paid double retail price. Yes prices are inflated right now, but not that much.

NO experienced buyer will pay $800 for a sub-2000, no matter how bad they want it. If for some crazy reason they are willing to pay that much, they should be banned from purchasing firearms as they are helping drive the prices up.
I always wonder how much those guys end up getting when they post an $1100 WASR or an $800 Sub-2000.

·
MSG
470 Posts
I look at them all, if you don't and are looking for something in particular you may miss it. As others have said, price is relative to the asking price and final negotiated price, it's all good, start somewhere to end somewhere. I've found and or missed deals everywhere, this I believe is the best fourm going, but not exclusive as I like older guns and more hunting related items and enjoy looking everywhere, some prices are regionally or geographically driven so the internet itself has affected pricing as much as any other one factor alone. Another thread I was reading talked about small LGS, I have a few that I frequent and as another member stated, it's about relationships and customer satisfaction, the good and bad of doing business where ever it may be. Happy shopping where ever you do it and buyer beware, know what your selling and what your buying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts