New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
They had their hands on their guns from the start, both of them, just WAITING for something to happen.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
Wow, that was an absolute disaster. I don't even know where to begin. Walking around the during a disturbance with your gun in your hand? come on man.....and then ordering them out of the car and firing on them when they drive off? I think these guys are gonna be in some ****.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Holy ****. Was that in the middle of a gang neighborhood or something?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
What the hell gave him the right to do that? I hope the real cops showed up and shot him.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
It was an off-duty Houston police officer who fired the shots. Doesn't matter in my books, the whole situation seems wrong. The article (see link below) clearly states the two driving away were blocked by that truck as they attempted to pull out, then the driver allegedly struck a couple of officers on the way out. I don't think what was printed in the article quite matches up with what we saw on camera, I'm interested in what others have to say about it. The story is not recent - the video may have surfaced a few days ago but the incident happened back in February.

One of the comments under the video provided this link to the story behind the video...

Off-duty HPD officer shoots 19-year-old outside southeast Houston night club | khou.com Houston

· Registered
5,426 Posts
So apparently as long as I "look like" I'm breaking into a car a LEO can dump his glock magazine into my car while trying to pop my head off my shoulders? FTS - if I'm not under arrest keep you gun holstered you ignorant ****.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
Holy moly.....I must have watched a different video because I didn't see any of that. I was under the impression that while working security on their own time they did not have police powers and had to follow the same rules as a regular security guard?

· Registered
174 Posts
Holy moly.....I must have watched a different video because I didn't see any of that. I was under the impression that while working security on their own time they did not have police powers and had to follow the same rules as a regular security guard?
Im not sure when my father was a police officer he was considered on duty 24 hours a day and had to carry a firearm at all times. This was 20+ years ago though.

They were both security guards not police according to the last article posted. I can say though that either way they would be in the wrong. A federal court took a case 30-40 years ago now where a young man ran from the police. As he ran from the police they told him to stop and he continued to flee and they shot him. The ruling became that a police officer can not use deadly force unless the suspect will cause deadly harm to the officer or bystanders.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Im not sure when my father was a police officer he was considered on duty 24 hours a day and had to carry a firearm at all times. This was 20+ years ago though.

They were both security guards not police according to the last article posted. I can say though that either way they would be in the wrong. A federal court took a case 30-40 years ago now where a young man ran from the police. As he ran from the police they told him to stop and he continued to flee and they shot him. The ruling became that a police officer can not use deadly force unless the suspect will cause deadly harm to the officer or bystanders.
Must be different for prisons then. They shoot escapees there.

· Registered
5,426 Posts

My grandfather was a cop about that amount of time ago, back when he was on foot patrol he was told to request a suspect to stop 3 times before he could use his weapon, only once did he have to, caught a guy coming out of a house in the middle of a robbery, told the guy 3 times to stop, he ran anyway, my grandfather shot his in the right upper rear thigh with his .38 revolver, he never got in trouble for that. He was a cop in Yonkers NY.

· Registered
9,138 Posts
I think that the point is moot whether they are on the job or plain Security Guards, from what I saw in three different video's, they were wrong in all three. They should be charged as a common criminal breaking the law. The only time the vehicle in question came close to hitting the one, it was because he ran in front of it. This was a simple hit and run on property, no reason to shoot.

· Registered
174 Posts
this is the case I was referencing . Its been 3 to 4 years since I looked at it.
"Tennessee v. Garner
, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[SUP][1][/SUP], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others. "

I am not sure how it works with prisoners. It maybe different because they are already convicted of a crime so there is no presumption of innocence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.