New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my original review on the PPS: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/handguns/43783-walther-pps-review.html
Here is my review on this training course: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/training/60401-rochester-pers-def-dps201-review.html#post588958

Here I'd like to talk about my experiences with the PPS in particular, over an 8 hour, 300 round course. I used the gun with two 8 round magazines, and one 7 round magazine. The mags were carried in a Blackhawk single stack mag carrier, mounted on the belt (I removed the garbage clip on it). I was really impressed with the carrier, and it actually concealed enough that I wore it out to lunch with two mags in it under just a t-shirt.

First the good news. The gun had no malfunctions or issues of any kind. I hadn't cleaned it before this just so I could test it as much as I was comfortable with a carry gun. It currently has a little over 400 rounds through it without a cleaning, and about 900 total. The gun was accurate, and I had no issues drawing or holsters with the excellent ROCity Veritas appendix holster.

The magazines all got dropped on the ground, and all got very dirty and sometimes filled with tiny rocks. None of this affected performance, and the floorplates held up really well. I'd be worried about the 6 round floorplate doing as well as the larger 7 and 8 rounders.

The bad news. About halfway through the day, I wanted to switch to my backup gun, a P2000sk. The single stack grip of the PPS focuses the recoil in a smaller part of your hand, and it starts to hurt after a while. Especially since the backstrap has a heavy texture on it. Nothing was intolerable, and I did end up sticking with it for the whole day, but when I got home and held the SK, I could tell it would have been a huge improvement in comfort.

One time during a combat reload, I got my hand stuck between the frame and the magazine. This gave me a pretty minor cut/blister, but was a reminder that this was a subcompact gun. Reloads were the time when I most wished I had a full-size grip that my full hand fit on without the magazine inserted.

At one point during the day, I fumbled with the magazine and dropped it during a reload. During an actual incident, that would have been very serious. I believe a double stack magazine would have been easier to consistently grab and hold on to, but of course the blame still belongs with me. One other person did the same thing with their Beretta 92 mag.

In general, it sucked only having 7-8 rounds in my mags compared with everyone else's 10. I was always the first person who needed to go top off mags, and a few times, I couldn't complete the last drill in a set because I was out of ammo.

Overall, the PPS is still a great choice for carry, and held its own in terms of accuracy and speed compared to all the full-size guns. I was not out-classed in either aspect, and I believe shooter skill mattered more than the gun. However, I think the best case situation would be to train with a larger gun that had the same characteristics as the PPS. That would be a P99 QA or a PPQ. Possibly an H&K with LEM trigger, as that is sort of striker-ish, but with a much longer takeup. Training with the PPS wasn't impossible, but it was far from ideal, and I probably won't do it again.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
You could have a 500 round magazine nowadays and everyone would still be able to legally carry the same amount of rounds. :(

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but if your gun holds less than that number, it shows.

Its completely an artificiality of the training course though; in real life the difference between 7 and 10 rounds is probably much less substantial than in a course where you are the only one with 7.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Great review. Thanks for posting it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
True, but if your gun holds less than that number, it shows.

Its completely an artificiality of the training course though; in real life the difference between 7 and 10 rounds is probably much less substantial than in a course where you are the only one with 7.
I agree. I would prefer a P99c, but those are like hens teeth it seems.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
Is the veritas designed for appendix carry or does it work at 3:30-4:00?
Yeah, did u run it in appendix for the class or did you have to stick to strong side ? Was this at brooks I assume based on brads comment above?

Edit to add:
I'm contemplating on taking a training class with a similar class firearm (shield) and was thinking a similar though about doing half with it and half with a full size framed gun. As I've loved all the all day shooting I've done with my g22.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have addressed appendix carry in my review above...woops. The course was held at Brooks.

I ran the Veritas appendix for the entire course. Everyone else in the course was running strong side OWB or IWB. I have strongly preferred appendix carry for the past year or so, and this course only served to reinforce that for me. My draws seemed faster than everyone else (I wasn't paying a ton of attention to it, but it seemed very fast to me), and I was able to monitor the re-holstering process more easily when desired.

There were no safety concerns, as with the PPS you can place your thumb over the back, preventing trigger movement due to the striker indicator. It was very easy to reholster one-handed and without looking due to the Veritas' design. I will write a third review, of the Veritas holster, probably tomorrow. I have been putting it off because I want to get some pictures to include, but it is awesome.

Of everyone in the class, I think I am the only one who could have actually worn my gear in public (and I did, on lunch, when I ran to Subway). That includes the gun, holster, and mag carrier with two mags. Nothing wrong with running gear that isn't concealable, but mine was, and it didn't slow me down for the most part.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
nice, i figured they would let you run in appendix at brooks. i know most if not all indoor ranges around here don't let you so you can run that way in a class either at those locations. good to know that rpd let you too. they are good people :)

i have to get one of those holsters too. nice write-ups too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts