New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the feel for some so I could narrow my choices down while I wait for my permit. Should I drive to Vermont? Any one know of a big place near southern Vermont or one that has a large selection?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Technically, you can't in NY. The local gun shop may be cool - or it may not. You can try driving to Pennsylvania too.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Got a friend with some? No permit = no touchy at gun shops or gun shows here in NY. It is actually against NYS law to handle or posses a handgun w/o a permit.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Massachusetts ranges will allow you to rent guns and it is 100% legal there. Smith and Wesson had one but it is temporarily closed, Google search for others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In PA, at the same exit as the outlet mall about an hour south of Binghamton, is a range where you can try all kinds of guns. Costs about $1 per round but it's a good way to see if you like a certain gun.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
You may have to travel to somewhere in America.

·
Registered
460 Posts
at my local gun store i was allowed to handle guns since i had my paperwork in, here in orange county we need to have receipt with make model and serial number for the second part of the application so all the gun stores are well aware. they also understand the laws well enough to know the wording gives some room for play and "self interpretation" of the meaning of possessing a handgun. not sure your local gun stores will be the same but it is worth a try i think, just stay away from places like gander mtn, go to a small local owned gun shop

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe I will try PA it is like 2 hours drive but a road trip may be in order. I was in Colorado in the winter I should have done it while I was there!
I know about the shops here and the no permit no touch rules. :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yup, just depends where you go. Gander, forget it.

I have 1 paid for already, and 2 more on layaway. Just can't leave the store with them... Lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some are a bit more flexible as long as you have your paperwork turned in. No harm in asking
How does the gunstore employee know you have paperwork submitted? If they are a stranger you just can't take their word about paperwork, and still that would not be legal as you don't know if that person will get his permit or be denied.

·
Registered
698 Posts
After talking to my FFL in NY you can handle a gun at a gun range with out a permit(he looked this up for me as my nephew wanted the same thing). So find a range that sells guns and then its legal.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
After talking to my FFL in NY you can handle a gun at a gun range with out a permit(he looked this up for me as my nephew wanted the same thing). So find a range that sells guns and then its legal.
Not all FFL's are lawyers, see if he'll represent you in court. It may be legal for your nephew 14yrs-20.364yrs but not you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sunset Hill range in PA. It is expensive, but has wide selection and lets you avoid even more expensive mistake of buying a gun you don't like.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not all FFL's are lawyers, see if he'll represent you in court. It may be legal for your nephew 14yrs-20.364yrs but not you.
No they are not former lawyers but this one is a former state trooper. They offer the NRA approved classes at ranges required by most counties to get a permit. So henceforth it would have to be legal. PS my nephew is 32. I suggest calling the range/gun dealership and asking them. I will look for the wording in regards to it and post if i can find it.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
No they are not former lawyers but this one is a former state trooper. They offer the NRA approved classes at ranges required by most counties to get a permit. So henceforth it would have to be legal. PS my nephew is 32. I suggest calling the range/gun dealership and asking them. I will look for the wording in regards to it and post if i can find it.
Ask him to show you exactly what he read. It's not legal to handle a hand gun with out a permit/being leo/millitary duties in NY unless you are under the guidance of a certified instructor and are under the age of 21.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Let's call it illegal.

But either way, some shops will let you fondle their wares without dropping a coin in the slot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts