New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres the deal. I am worknig on a proposal for the DEC and want to hand them a list of volunteers who will help with the initial clean up and follow ups afterward.

I'm not asking everyone to come everytime. What we need is a pool to pull from for clean ups 3-4 times a year. I willask for everyone to pitch in for the first one.
I have a scrap metal guy already lined up to haul away the metal and he will take other stuff that will add weight to his load.
The idea is to show the DEC that we can and will, clean up the area. I want to convince them to throw in a few signs showing that a TNUSA sponsored crew has made the reopening possible by cleaning up after the slobs. Maybe not in those words but you get the idea....
I know that the Adopt a highway program has signs. so maybe they have them for the AANR (adopt a natural resource) stewardship program which we are also applying for...

Whos in!????

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Made this a sticky for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's difficult for me to say when I could help because of travel time. I am willing though once it's scheduled, if I'm available. Weekends are best, or weekdays during the summer.

Ryan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeff.
@ Ryan: Have no fear I will be making this a weekend deal. I work M-F and though I pass the range everyday going to and fro work. I too can only give up weekends. ( I have 3 kids ages 12-2)
I will be getting with Joe D from the NRA board of Directors hopefully this week to slam together a clearcut proposal to git 'er done!!!!

Remember everyone. THis is not about just one range. WE need to be diligent in making sure this does not happen to ALL the state ranges. Keep in mind that we have a liberal governor who would love to take away our rights. WE can't allow this to happen. Sitting back and letting someone else deal with it is just wrong. We must stand as a united group and make sure to right these wrongs.

DO GOOD ANYWAYS!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
pipe,
i'm in just let me know the date,and time,and i'll do my best to help. i'm in orange,and have never been to the range,so some directions would be needed.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Ok wiseguy..... LOL!
Why don'tcha come help out??
Used to live in Wolf Lake and we had the priveliedge of a private range, I don't get down that way much but was down last week, got myself a nice everything bagel with lox, cream cheese, onion , and tomato from the Bagel bakery in Monticello and my best friend Rick is the owner of Giovanni's so if I am down there visiting I would be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used to live in Wolf Lake and we had the priveliedge of a private range, I don't get down that way much but was down last week, got myself a nice everything bagel with lox, cream cheese, onion , and tomato from the Bagel bakery in Monticello and my best friend Rick is the owner of Giovanni's so if I am down there visiting I would be more than happy to help.
Giovanni's is my favorite!! Hot Godfathers!!!!! Well when ya do come down, whether for the clean up or otherwise we'll have to meet up for a godfather and a beer. or in my case rootbeer. (don't drink. bad for the kids...) As for bagels... They have the best . Even better than the ones I use to get in NYC.

I'll PM ya my cell....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the proposal i sent to Matt Paul @ Region3. It's straight forward and to the point

NEVERSINK RIVER UNIQUE AREA TARGET RANGE CLEAN UP PROPOSAL​

​

Proposal:
Clean up of Neversink River Unique Area target range located at old gravel pit on Cold Spring Rd.
Thomas Downey of TNUSA has offered to organize a sustained volunteer group to clean up the range area. This is being applied for with the AANR Stewardship Program.
Reason: Due to the illegal dumping of debrise at the site the DEC has closed the area to target shooting. Our goal is to clean it up and get it back opened.
The main reason is that for many of us, there is no other options but this range. People use it to teach their children safe practices. If this is not remedied these same people will have to use other resources which may or may not be safe. We also would like to be able to start utilizing the area for youth oriented events. But again this would require the clean up and maintenance of the area.
Plan:
1) TNUSA will bring in an initial crew to do a major clean up of the area.
a: rake up all debrise and separate it into recycleable and trash. Bring in scrap metal haulers to take away the junk.
b: Take all the wood, cardboard and other "Target backings" and haul them to the front entrance for DPW removal (this would include the non metal junk)
c: Aquire plastic 55 gal barrels to be used as trash recepticles.
2) TNUSA would be willing to help with the labor to put up a bulletin board stating the rules of the area. (The one @ the parking area up the road is not working. No one stops to look at it.)
3) TNUSA would organize crews 3 - 4 times a year to go in and do a sweep of the area and clean up any new debrise

Future plans:
TNUSA would like to eventually organize youth oriented events such as Turkey shoots and even utilize the area for archery clubs to hold 3D shoots.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SO..... all the comments are in and now goes the waiting game. Matt Paul from the DEC said he will be in touch soon to talk about the clean up and other details and concerns for the reopening of the site. It's a slow process but I would rather it be done properly and get the range open for good than to have a halfcocked plan that fails.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any word from Matt, on the clean up

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm willing to help. Im not local (Brooklyn) but I do have a cottage on Cold Spring road that I use when its warmer. Itd be nice to have an accessible range. I'll help with what i can

1 - 20 of 39 Posts