New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I visited a new shop today and had a pretty good experience.

I know the guy's been in business for a while just without a store front....

So here we're walking in and I was dissapointed right away.. There was a sign you couldn't miss.. No loaded fire arms, no exception. Now why in the hell can't I carry my loaded concealed firearm in a damn firearm store!?

Next question... The guy behind the counter is carrying outer waist band.. 1, is this legal in a store rental situation? 2, Isn't open carry illegal?

Just curious..

Overall experience, good. Will I go in again, probably not, just because there are "no exceptions".. BOOOO

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Well I visited a new shop today and had a pretty good experience.

I know the guy's been in business for a while just without a store front....

So here we're walking in and I was dissapointed right away.. There was a sign you couldn't miss.. No loaded fire arms, no exception. Now why in the hell can't I carry my loaded concealed firearm in a damn firearm store!?

Next question... The guy behind the counter is carrying outer waist band.. 1, is this legal in a store rental situation? 2, Isn't open carry illegal?

Just curious..

Overall experience, good. Will I go in again, probably not, just because there are "no exceptions".. BOOOO
Not for nothing, that dealer had the same no firearms policy at his house when he operated out of there. I guess some dealers feel better if the customers aren't armed. It's the same policy at the Dome Show also. I believe that you can carry OWB in your own store, I could be wrong here, but I have seen other people do it as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can carry open in your own store for the same reason you can carry open in your house. From what I understand the other people in the store/your house are there by invitation only and you're not out in the public domain.

Also, in speaking to a lawyer from a NRA class I took, it sounds like it doesn't say anywhere that you can't carry open. She also said it's probably not a pretty good choice regardless, lol. If you look at your permit it does only say license to carry, not license to carry concealed.

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
i ignore those signs mostly since it's not a law. it's concealed for a reason. if they see it and ask you to leave, you must leave, or comply with what they are asking.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Not to nitpick, but was the lawyer well versed in the firearms laws? I always seek out the ones that know the statutes, intentions, and meanings of them as well. There are lots of lawyers out there, but not all will really KNOW the statutes

Look at Section 400-2(f) in the NY Penal Law. This section describes the types of licenses available or issued. One would be for employment (thus only valid for working) and the (f) one is for concealed. Go with the logic of the statute and you will see that although NY does not SPECIFICALLY say concealed, the laws push it to that direction.

One thing you should be careful with: Some licenses are now coming out with 'concealed' added to the 'carry'.

Best rule: If you can be seen in public or from a public access area, keep it concealed. Yes, even on your own property. If you have a controlled access (hmmm such as a gun shop) then open is fine - just don't go wandering around outside.

Besides, a gunshop owner/clerk should darn well have a gun on somewhere.....

Just my 2 cents tossed in the mix.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah I'm not really sure how well versed she was. Just sharing what she said. I think it was more one of those the law doesn't technically say, but I recommend you don't do it type of things.

And I agree, if I was a gun shop owner I'd damn be sure to be armed at all times. I would also humbly request that someone there to do legit business be kind of enough to follow the request of not to carry while in the store.

If this is who I think we're discussing, he's been a great convenient, cheap, source for guns/accessories etc. He's hooked me up a few times and I wouldn't want to lose that mutual respect for each other by going against his wishes of not carrying while in the store. Even if he may not ever know I was legally armed.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I try not to patronize anywhere with a no guns policy if I can help it. I can see requiring a concealed gun stay concealed but not banning them outright, especially from a gun shop.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am wondering if it isn't simply a safety thing, as in "Hey, do you have a holster to fit this ...*bang*" ? When I had a shop 20+ years ago, you would be amazed at the loaded firearms that came in for service, to have a scope boresighted, traded in, cleaned and so on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know the shop, but as its been said, he's probably concerned for his safety. People are pretty stupid at times. If I was carrying concealed and wasn't intending to take the gun out of the holster, I'd probably just ignore his sign.... But... I can understand if I was going to take the gun out that he would want it to be unloaded.

Concerning the open carry comment. That reminds me of the guy that used to sell beer at the Empire dragstrip back in the seventies. He had a large revolver that he carried on his hip in a western style holster. I remember the first time I saw it, I was really taken aback by it, seeing it carried out in the open.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
hey Jarrett, i've been there twice now. I asked the first time I went in and spoke with his wife. We were there for a while looking at different pistols. She basically said that if they don't know you then they'd prefer you unload your firearm before entering, it's just a safety thing. After we talked, she said it'd be fine if I didn't when entering. In all reality though what Mike said is right, keep it concealed and loaded. If they ask you to leave, you MUST comply immediately regardless of the situation unless your life is in danger. The sign is a form of liability coverage as well. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I never think twice about carrying, regardless of that type of sign.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I would assume this is Jackson's Gun and Ammo? I don't know why everyone is so afraid to mention the name of the store. I've dealt with him in the past and have absolutely nothing buy positive remarks. I can't say I agree with his "no loaded firearms" policy but I'm sure it is to help ensure the safety of those in his store. I know I've seen some pretty stupid people whip out a pistol in a store when browsing a store's selection and I'm sure his policy is just to help prevent an accident. I didn't know he opened a store front, I'll have to stop in.

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
I wouldn't let it deter you. As i said above, just be safe and be mindful of it. It's certainly not something that would keep me from buying from the shop. Especially, if it is Jackson Guns. Kordell is a great guy, and I definitely recommend going to him. He's awesome to work with for handgun purchases!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.