New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I will use this thread to ask my questions that pop up and anyone else can ask questions too.

I got a Griswold no 8 Cast Iron Skillet yesterday and this morning I tried seasoning it and came to the conclusion I got one of the duo Chro ones (I assume that stood for dual chrome). It appears that the handle is a shiney chrome as well as the top lip around the pan. The rest seems to be a dull silver color. In the photos below you can see the bright silver color on cooking surface which seems to be residual chrome (I don't think this is a nickel one but what do I know).

I guess my question is should I leave it as is and continue to season it and use it or should I remove the chrome on the cooking surface only or remove all of it?

If I should remove some or all of it how should I go about it?

I did email a place about cost to re chrome it and they wanted $175 so that is off the table.

I bought the pan for $15 and it sits flat (only the super slightest wobble).

Tableware Drinkware Kitchen utensil Dishware Cup Automotive lighting Gas Circle Automotive wheel system Font

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I'm not sure about seasoning chrome but the cast iron seasons very well ! I have been using lodge for years ( camping , and at the house , same pans ) lodge to season is really easy to do . I'm thinking the chrome will wash up easy if left alone but you probably got to dry it right away to keep it from rusting .

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chrome is wearing off on this pan (the latest this was made was 1957) so I need to season the unchromed parts and just wondering if I should remove the rest of the chrome or just on the cooking surface of what the best course of action is. I am a noob to these vintage skillets and don't want to destroy it.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The chrome is wearing off on this pan (the latest this was made was 1957) so I need to season the unchromed parts and just wondering if I should remove the rest of the chrome or just on the cooking surface of what the best course of action is. I am a noob to these vintage skillets and don't want to destroy it.
I would rub the chrome off wher the cooking takes place then season that part of it . Seasoning is real easy I turn the oven on at 500 then wipe crisco on the pan , insert an in oven for 45 mins , shut oven off let cool then repeat twice . Then every couple months do it again . I wouldn't want to eating something and have a piece of that chrome come off in my food .

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I wouldn't use it if its got chrome flaking off. If you're going to strip it, a chrome plater can strip the old chrome, otherwise you could sandblast it. I don't see either process hurting the cast iron. Those things are nearly indestructible... unless you leave them on an electric burner on high and forget about it (guess how I know!).

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I first seasoned my Lodge pans by coating good with vegetable oil and putting into a 350 degree oven for an hour. Then after use I woul wash out by hand with just hot water and a sponge. Would dry out with paper towels and then put away after applying a thin coat of oil. Seemed to work really well and wasn't long until I had a real non stick finish on the pan with use.

No experience here with any kind of a nickel or chrome plated pan.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should I just use sand paper to get it off?

For seasoning I have been slowly raising oven temp with skillet to 450 degrees. Then I take it out and rub a bunch of crisco all over it with a folded up paper towel. After rubbing it all down I have been using old tshirt rag to wipe off all the crisco and I throw it back in oven and drop temp to 400. After about 30 minutes I take it out and reapply crisco and wipe it off and throw it back in and repeat a few times. When I am tired of doing that instead of taking it out to reapply after 30 minutes I just leave it in oven and turn it off until it completely cools.

Oh and I put the skillet in cooking surface facing down.

I basically combined these procedures with my own found here.
Cast Iron Seasoning - The Cast Iron Collector: Information for The Vintage Cookware Enthusiast
Wagner and Griswold Society

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't use it if its got chrome flaking off. If you're going to strip it, a chrome plater can strip the old chrome, otherwise you could sandblast it. I don't see either process hurting the cast iron. Those things are nearly indestructible... unless you leave them on an electric burner on high and forget about it (guess how I know!).
Any do it yourself suggestions? I guess I will have to see if I can find a local plater and ask what they charge.

I don't have the space but I have heard that making your own electrolysis tank can be used to strip the chrome since that is how they apply it, you just do it in reverse.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
10parts water to 1part muriatic acid for 15 minutes or even less because it's already worn off a lot. Got this from my friend that's a metal worker.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks and it won't effect the cast iron?

I have a few emails out too different chrome plating places but i expect it to be pricey.

I will have to try the water muriatic acid though. I just really care about the inside so this would be perfect I think.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From looking into it more it looks like the muriatic acid will remove the chrome but then I will still be left with nickel.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A local welding shop might sand blast it for you. Or maybe someone on here with a blast cabinet is local to you? Anyone...anyone?

Muriatic acid is going to attack the cast iron as well as the chrome, leaving a weird texture or pits. But it also will go after the copper under the nickel, so... I don't know...

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea the more I think about this I am think your right and sand blasting will probably be the easiest, safest, and pretty cheap I would assume.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
I'm not sure sandblasting will get the chrome off. We machine chrome plated rolls at work and have to grind the chrome off before we machine them. Chrome is incredibly hard stuff, that's why it's used for some purposes. If you have an air compressor, you can pick up a cheap blaster gun at Harbor Freight that just has a tube you stick in the media, no cabinet is involved. I have one and we used it to strip Jeff's Xd finish off before we recoated it with a bake on finish. That might be the cheapest way to try to get the chrome off. If it doesn't work you will at least have a blaster to use for other stuff. Media is available at Tractor Supply in different grits for about $8 or $9 a bag.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I know nothing about the chromed pan you have but cast iron is great. My wife hates cast iron because I refuse to let her wash it, after use just wipe out with paper towels or if deer is stuck to the pan then throw some water in and bring to a boil then throw out water ,wipe pan with paper towels.
To season cast iron buy a lb or two of bacon and cook ,after bacon is done save grease wipe out pan and the best part ,eat bacon. My pans are seasoned every time I use them. Deer heart with butter, loins in butter (fry fast and hot) or olive oil or mix oil and butter, liver (yuck but wife and kids love it) with onions and venison Parmesan (beaded and fried in pan then drain grease and add sauce and mozz. cheese to pan, stick whole pan in oven bake untill cheese is golden brown. Make sure to pound your meat with meat hammer.

Anyone ready for hunting season?
jim

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Lodge has an excellent page with all sorts of info about cast iron cookware and how to maintain it.

Lodge - Seasoned Cast Iron

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I know nothing about the chromed pan you have but cast iron is great. My wife hates cast iron because I refuse to let her wash it, after use just wipe out with paper towels or if deer is stuck to the pan then throw some water in and bring to a boil then throw out water ,wipe pan with paper towels.
To season cast iron buy a lb or two of bacon and cook ,after bacon is done save grease wipe out pan and the best part ,eat bacon. My pans are seasoned every time I use them. Deer heart with butter, loins in butter (fry fast and hot) or olive oil or mix oil and butter, liver (yuck but wife and kids love it) with onions and venison Parmesan (beaded and fried in pan then drain grease and add sauce and mozz. cheese to pan, stick whole pan in oven bake untill cheese is golden brown. Make sure to pound your meat with meat hammer.

Anyone ready for hunting season?
jim
nothing like eggs over easy with bacon frying in the same pan while the " old " percolator coffee pot is brewing coffee on the camp chef ! Yep I'm ready for back strap medallions wrapped in bacon with some wilted spinach and fresh bread ! Yep I'm getting ready !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts