New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK not sure if anyone can help me and so far from research it could be anything! literallly.
I found that father carried a 1911 while in Vietnam and on NCO school and up in Choppers. He was just 19 as most others and just worried about coming home. He does not remember what he carried, as a matter of fact I had to show him a picture and ask him questions to figure that he carried the 1911! (vs the Colt M1917).

Anyways I would love to get a "proper" make of 1911 As used by the army in Vietnam but I guess the army too used anything from Colt to Singer sew machines co to make em. He does not have a CLUE what it might and been.

Any insight on this matter would really help me. I know with the 1911 there are so many flavors its hard but looking to know most likely what a "plain old Army 1911" that might have been used in Vietnam. Reason I would like to have a somewhat proper used one is nostalgia ofcourse.

But again, he was just concerned with making it back that he has no idea who made it or anything about it. He now due to all that HATES guns and does even like to talk about it. It took some pressing to get this out of him that it was a semi vs a revolver!

I cant say I blame him but. your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Govt contract Colt 1911 pistols used by the US were manufactured anywhere between 1912 and 1945. 1911s and 1911a1s that were produced during these years are what were issued until the Beretta M9 replaced it. The pistol your father carried could have been either. 1911s from WW1 were sent to armory to be rebuilt and reused for the following wars and conflicts. Their is a lot of good information out there on 1911 pistols, 1911forum.com , m1911.org. 1911forum.com has a USGI sub forum all about this kind of stuff.

Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, Model of 1911
Proofhouse being a good site for serial # information, production dates, manufacturers and so on.

Good luck in your searching,
George

·
Registered
780 Posts
There were over 2 million of the M1911 and M1911a1 pistols delivered to the Goverment starting in 1912 and ending in 1945. The existing guns rebuilt as needed and used up until 1986 when replaced by the Beretta M9. Many of the surplus guns were sold off through the civilian markmenship program, most for $30-$50. The M1911/M1911a1 is still used today by some of the elite forces and untill recently, they were original frames with modern slides, barells and small parts refurbished by an armor. Now they are all new issed guns.

Your Dad likely used some sort of bastardized gun put together with parts from 1912 to 1943 and/or new replacement parts. Lots of info here:

http://coolgunsite.com/

and here:

USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s - 1911Forum

Here is my Dads "parts" gun. It is a 1918 Colt Frame with a 1943 Ithaca slide and mixed small parts:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts