New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and already have gained an awful lot of useful information. I plan on sticking around! I first came to this site upon googling information regarding the process to appeal a pistol permit denial. Without getting into too much detail, I suspect I may get denied for my permit. My question is should I write the judge a letter explaining some of the red flags on my application (in hindsight I probably should have included it initially) or should I sit tight until I hear definitively yay or nay?

FYI _ I suspect I may be denied because the sheriff has recommended my application be denied. Is it reasonable to believe the judge will follow suit or have you in your process been denied by the sheriff and the judge has still issued you your permit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yup your screwed.. You should have been truthful and upfront on the application.. I suggest you withdraw your application before it gets denied otherwise you will have to explain the denial on any other pistol permits (i.e. other states) you apply for in the future...

They even say on the application list EVERYTHING.. Why did you omit stuff?

·
Registered
876 Posts
It clearly states on the application to list ANY arrests, that's assuming that you did and failed to put it on the application. Honesty is one attribute that the judge looks for when you apply.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
honesty is always the best...withdraw it and wait sometime and apply again

You need to make the deputy feel comfortable with you, own up to your mistakes and explain why you are a better person after it(and of course have time after) show that you have learned from your mistakes and are not a risk. Not including something is a huge red flag, it makes them not feel comfortable and it is pretty much always going to be a denial.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
if the sherrif's dept recommendation is a denial the judge is most likely going to follow it, the big thing with the application process is honesty and owning up to past mistakes. The sherrif's and judge know not everybody is sqeaky clean but they expect honesty. i myself had to list 4 arrests from my teenage an early twenties but i was upfront about it and as a result was granted my full carry. Not to bash you man, but you screwed yourself in a big way by leaving things out. The judge and sherrif's want honesty and to trust you, that trust goes out the window when they dig up things that weren't on your application...

·
Registered
558 Posts
if the sherrif's dept recommendation is a denial the judge is most likely going to follow it, the big thing with the application process is honesty and owning up to past mistakes. The sherrif's and judge know not everybody is sqeaky clean but they expect honesty. i myself had to list 4 arrests from my teenage an early twenties but i was upfront about it and as a result was granted my full carry. Not to bash you man, but you screwed yourself in a big way by leaving things out. The judge and sherrif's want honesty and to trust you, that trust goes out the window when they dig up things that weren't on your application...
i agree with above u kind of did urself in. I have seen from time to time people ask the question about arrests and Should they put them on there permit
might want to read up before u try again

·
Registered
662 Posts
You will definately be denied in Herkimer county upon the sheriff recommendation, you will be allowed to appeal the judges decision though which will amount to going to court and explaining yourself regarding the denial. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys about the confusion. This is the first opportunity I have had to check the responses, Let me clarify. I DID disclose each and every arrest on my application and even one I couldn't get a disposition from because the judge from that court couldn't find my file it was so long ago. When I said I should have included before I meant a letter explaining the arrests I ALREADY DISCLOSED on my application. I was as transparent and truthful as I possibly could have.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I can't believe the bullchips you guys go through to get a simple permit to carry a handgun. Soon they'll want your first born. PA you get in and out in less then half an hour with a full carry permit for a NON-RESIDENT! What a bunch of crap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was denied by the sheriff in monroe county and the judge follow suit,I filed a appeal and when I went to court I asked the judge why I was denied he said he did not know why the sheriff denied me,two weeks later I got my pistol permit in the mail,I would stay the course and see what happens,good luck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was denied by the sheriff in monroe county and the judge follow suit,I filed a appeal and when I went to court I asked the judge why I was denied he said he did not know why the sheriff denied me,two weeks later I got my pistol permit in the mail,I would stay the course and see what happens,good luck
Excellent example 92.. Never surrender never listen to no chump saying oh you'll be denied..he isn't the Judge..and him and the Judge may not see eye to eye anyways..soo you have a chance still keep positive..and if it's denied do exactly what poster 1992 did and when you're in front of the Judge just go through the whols song and dance about how you were young and dumb maybe and, times are changing..fear of safety for your family, looking to get into competitive shooting aspirations lol..just don't do the "it's my right and constitution this and constitution that" that will piss him off probably more.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Sorry guys about the confusion. This is the first opportunity I have had to check the responses, Let me clarify. I DID disclose each and every arrest on my application and even one I couldn't get a disposition from because the judge from that court couldn't find my file it was so long ago. When I said I should have included before I meant a letter explaining the arrests I ALREADY DISCLOSED on my application. I was as transparent and truthful as I possibly could have.
"each and every arrest on my application"......................lol.....I have led a very boring life. I need to get arrested once to see what I'm missing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"each and every arrest on my application"......................lol.....I have led a very boring life. I need to get arrested once to see what I'm missing.
Trust me, its not all its cracked up to be. Anyways, I'm not going to withdraw my application. I'm going to see this process out. Heck I might be making a big deal out of nothing but I got to face the consequences of my actions regardless. I'm going to play the hand I got and see where my cards fall. I'll keep you guys updated on how everything goes. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If you let us know what its all about...alot of guys spill their stories here and alot of them are successful some of the guys might have some good ideas for approaches to your unique situation.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Liberty
You can call the courthouse to see the times he'll be there, Have you set any money aside for an appeal if it goes that far? You only have a small window of time to get it done the way I see it. If you get denied, GET RIGHT ON IT!
If it comes through for you HAPPY SHOPPING!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hightland
Yes very true. This whole thing happened rather quickly. I guess the money I had saved for a gun would have to go for the appeal instead in the event that is what it comes to. What would a lawyer cost for something like this?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts