New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article in Shotgun News a number of months ago about doing a Uzi build and it peeked my interest. From the article its looks like a straightforward build. I acquired all of the required parts after throughly doing my research. I thought I might catalog my ongoing experience in case anyone else might be interested in doing the build instead of buying one of the CIA Centurions.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to letter from the ATF, a traditional 922r compliant Uzi have the following parts:
1) Receiver
2) Barrel
3) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
4) Bolt
5) Trigger housing
6) Trigger
7) Sear
8) Disconnector
9) Buttstock
10) Forearm/Handguard
11) Magazine body
12) Floor Plate
13) Follower

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For my build I am using an Israeli surplus parts kit, fully welded Nodak Spud reciever, McKay Model "B" bolt and striker assembly, US made 16" barrel, and a US made semi-auto sear. Since my handguards and forearms were in rough shape I also purchased a new set of US made ones for an additional easy 922r part. This puts my 922r parts count at six, which is three more than I really need.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to New York and its AWB, I have to do a couple extra steps to make the rifle fully compliant. The Uzi that the SGN news article covers building takes detachable magainzes, has a folding stock and has a bayonet lug. The fully welded Nodak Spud kit I bought came with the bayonet lug already instead.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is where I wanted to get a little advice/feedback from you guys. With the NYS AWB, I can only have one "evil feature" unless I want the mag pinned to the gun. The parts kit came with the folding stock and not the other fugly wood one. I would much rather have the original folding stock rather than keep the bayonet lug and have to weld the folding stock open. If I remove the bayonet lug then I can use the folding stock. Am I correct in this interpretation?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So since the trigger housing extends below the receiver a good length it is then considered a pistol grip? I was hoping since a pistol grip wasn't listed as one of the 922r parts by the ATF that I might still be able to use the folding stock. I'm guessing that the ATF meant it didn't have a pistol grip on it like the AKs and ARs have on them so you can't replace that as a part. Too bad they don't list the evil features in the letter...

· Registered
1,701 Posts
So since the trigger housing extends below the receiver a good length it is then considered a pistol grip? I was hoping since a pistol grip wasn't listed as one of the 922r parts by the ATF that I might still be able to use the folding stock. I'm guessing that the ATF meant it didn't have a pistol grip on it like the AKs and ARs have on them so you can't replace that as a part. Too bad they don't list the evil features in the letter...
Because the ATF doesn't care about NY's AWB compliance. They are two different things. 922r is on a Federal level. NYS AWB is on a state level.

· Registered
599 Posts
Thanks to New York and its AWB, I have to do a couple extra steps to make the rifle fully compliant. The Uzi that the SGN news article covers building takes detachable magainzes, has a folding stock and has a bayonet lug. The fully welded Nodak Spud kit I bought came with the bayonet lug already instead.
Its going to be so neutered and ****ed that i would not even bother.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.