New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK .... I use to do alot of Ebay sales and slowly went to shipping only via FedEx. I decided to use USPS to ship an item I sold on here .. you know ... local in NY. I shipped it Priority which SHOULD be a one day delivery .... wanna see something funny??

Priority Mail[SUP]®[/SUP]

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

May 26, 2012, 1:33 pm

KEARNY, NJ 07032

Expected Delivery By:
May 29, 2012

Delivery Confirmation[SUP]™[/SUP]

Depart USPS Sort Facility

May 26, 2012

SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

May 26, 2012, 1:03 am

SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152

Dispatched to Sort Facility

May 25, 2012, 4:33 pm

SCHUYLERVILLE, NY 12871

Acceptance

May 25, 2012, 9:59 am

SCHUYLERVILLE, NY 12871

This package has been in 3 states in ONE day but it CAN'T MAKE IT TO A PLACE THAT'S 2.5-3hrs FROM ME!!!! I now see why our govt is completely incapable of anything!! How much fuel do you think they've wasted on this trip that hasn't ended yet??? HAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I watched mine do the same thing last month. At first I thought the package I sent was hi-jacked, guess they wanted to take it for a joy ride.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have received and shipped to Washington state, and Oregon that was received quicker than that. Atleast you spend the extra dollar for the tracking number....

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Similar thing happened to me just recently when a fellow member was shipping me some mags. First they sent it the opposite direction of me, to far western NY. Then they shipped it past me into the NJ sorting facility. Then finally to me.

G

·
A little Google-Foo found this explaination;

Transport Hub
Hubs, as a network structure, allow a greater flexibility within the transport system, through a concentration of flows. For instance, on the above figure, a point-to-point network involves 16 independent connections, each to be serviced by vehicles and infrastructures. By using a hub-and-spoke structure, only 8 connections are required. The main advantages of hubs are:

•Economies of scale on connections by offering a high frequency of services. For instance, instead of one service per day between any two pairs in a point-to-point network, four services per day could be possible.
•Economies of scale at the hubs, enabling the potential development of an efficient distribution system since the hubs handle larger quantities of traffic.
•Economies of scope in the use of shared transshipment facilities. This can take several dimensions such as lower costs for the users as well as higher quality infrastructures.

Many transportation services have adapted to include a hub-and-spoke structure. The most common examples involve air passenger and freight services which have developed such a structure at the global, national and regional levels, such as those used by UPS, FedEx and DHL. However, potential disadvantages may also occur such as additional transshipment as less point-to-point services are offered, which for some connections may involve delays and potential congestion as the hub becomes the major point of transshipment.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Call 1800 UPS and tell them what went on.... If you were told at the counter 1 or 2 days and this occured they should refund your shipping. With USPS it would have been there in 3 days or less. Sorry for the bad luck..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Why do people always think a package goes from your post office directly to the post office your sending it to. All mail/ packages go to the nearest sorting facility, which means usually once a day a truck brings everything from your post office to that facility, then it gets sorted out and sent on its path....besides it is 2012 and the mail has operated this way for a veryyyyy long time, why does this seem to blind side people now?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Call 1800 UPS and tell them what went on.... If you were told at the counter 1 or 2 days and this occured they should refund your shipping. With USPS it would have been there in 3 days or less. Sorry for the bad luck..
You have to actually read the original post. He used USPS PRIORITY. UPS is not mentioned.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I buy from LDD it takes 6 days for him to get my $$ and for me to get my mags. I just shipped some patches to a friend in CT and it took the same 6 days to go 59 miles. I could have walked there faster. LITERALLY!!

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
the people at the counter always tell me to not bother with Priority, even when i ship to NJ.....they tell me it really isn't any faster.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Why do people always think a package goes from your post office directly to the post office your sending it to. All mail/ packages go to the nearest sorting facility, which means usually once a day a truck brings everything from your post office to that facility, then it gets sorted out and sent on its path....besides it is 2012 and the mail has operated this way for a veryyyyy long time, why does this seem to blind side people now?
I use to ship USPS when selling on Ebay. Any shipment in NY use to be one day. I know it has to go to a sorting facility first, (use to be Albany) Apparently it now has gone through two sorting facilities both outside NYS. LOL Priority was 2 days to Georgia many times. The computer at the post office showed delivery being the next day to the address it was shipped to in NY. I'm just saying that USPS Priority is definitely NOT a way to ship things if you want it there quicker than parcel post. Another reason I ship Priority was because it keeps the package out of the main flow of mail ... well it use to. Now ... I think it's all the same. I'll go back to using FedEx only. Guaranteed next day with normal ground delivery anywhere in NY for the same $$.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I haven't had a problem with priority; but if you really want the delivery to take forever, try the new UPS/ USPS "Mail Innovations." This new collaboration between UPS and USPS actually doubles delivery time.

·
Registered
853 Posts
OK .... I use to do alot of Ebay sales and slowly went to shipping only via FedEx. I decided to use USPS to ship an item I sold on here .. you know ... local in NY. I shipped it Priority which SHOULD be a one day delivery .... wanna see something funny??
Not defending the USPS, but you've got nothing to bitch about. Priority mail is not one day shipping. If you wanted that you should've sent it overnight. You shipped on Friday. It'll arrive on Tuesday. Two days (Sundays + holidays don't count). Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
My mother works for USPS and she always gets mad at me when I call them out on how ridiculous some of their shipping times are, or when they jump a package to every town within a 100 mile radius of the delivery address but don't actually send it TO the friggin person you want it to go to, but sometimes, there is just no denying that USPS is avoided alot of times for a reason. The one thing I have to say is good about them is their insurance is backed up pretty darn good, but everytime they have lost a package on me it wouldn't be covered under the insurance anyway because "Oh it was marked as delivered" that's great but it IS NOT THERE!

All my packages were found though, stupid things like delivered next door or stuck in the wrong mailbox

·
Registered
349 Posts
I sent an item parcel post about 150 miles away and it took 7 business days. And priority about the same distance arriving in few days. So yeah priority is faster. I have also seen parcel taking just a few days. So think it just depends on if the postal workers feel like working that week. LOL

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Scale of sort facility means something too.
Little envelope, little box X can handle. Big box needs to go on to Y.

No matter. Years ago every city over 10~15k had a sort facility with local folks employed there.
People cried and pulled thier hair that postage rate for a letter would have to go from 8 cents to 12, so to keep tings somewhat within budget, they closed many, many sort facilites and managed to keep postage at 10 cents.
Oddly enough this slowed things down. Wow, who'd have thought....

We had a sort facility right here in town (pop at the time arouind 11k) that had local mail going in and out overnight via the 'local mail only' drop boxes, and long distance mail 'regular mail' (outside 30~50 mile radius I seem to recall but don't know for sure) would go to Syracuse for further processing.
From the main building mail yourself a letter at 7p on Tues, have it back in your home mailbox by 3 Wed.
Now everything from here goes to Syracuse.
Some stuff they can manage to get back here overnight but packages tend to take 2 days instead.

Stuff from X distance range communities comes in here on trucks throughout the day and then sometime in the night goes to Syracuse on a bigger truck, gets sorted, and local stuff comes back the next day.

But remember, it all started with people crying that postage was going to go up due to the economy.
There was no concern over mail taking a day or two longer to arrive or where it was sorted.
People just wanted to save 2 friggin cents.

We the people made the bed and we the people get to lay in it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think that tracking update forgot this bit:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts