New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good used car dealership around or in NY? I'm looking into buy a car nothing fancy just something to get me to gun shows the range and back. I've been to dealerships in manhattan,brooklyn and queens and they have all either been real jack-A's or try'd to sell me on a car that would make me pay high intrest rates. I've got 6k but am only telling the sales reps I got 5k so I have some cash left over for any repairs I am gonna have to take care of. This is my first time going into the car buying field so if anyone knows of a dealership that is good to visit please let me know.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
good used car dealership = oxymoron. stay away.

it may take a while but what you want to do is find an old person selling a late model low mileage sedan

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
go to a new car dealer and look at there used cars,thats the way I have done it, and got good running cars,
that last 4 years after I am done paying them off.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Go to eBay or craigslist and buy from a private owner. Stay away from thoseskell dealers on queens Blvd and the like

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I've try'd going to name brand dealers like toyota and my credit isn't ''good enough'' for the banks to allow me any form of lease or finance and even though I tell the sales reps at new car lots that I'm looking for used they seem to not have any used cars and always try to sell me something new. These car salesmen are real crooks the feds or some form of leo should lock'em all up!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Arm yourself first. Go to Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds .com websites to get the value of cars you are looking for. Pricing advantage is a good place to start. Car Max is a good type of dealership to visit. Check out Consumer Reports and look for buying guides in the magazine section of book stores. Don't be in a hurry. Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Go out into the rural areas closest to you. There are good deals to be had where lots are lucky to sell a couple cars a week. Around here (Chautauqua Co) 6 grand will get you a 4 year old Malibu with 60,000 miles and zero rust. A friend just bought that exact car for 5500. The lot had 2 more simalar cars.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Yeah shop around privately first most of the used cars in dealership come from out of state most of the time ! I know i use to transport them and also make sure that they will pass a real NYS Inspection because most have a sticker that passes the mustard for now until the next year and then $$$$ surprises galore ? Good Luck

If you're in the neighborhood try Rockland Hyundai on Rt59 my son inlaw picked up a nice 2014 with low miles

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Buy from a dealer, they tend to have the best deals WITH a warranty

there are some tricks to buying a used car. First thing, if it has a trunk or if it's a SUV, pull up the carpet in the trunk or spare tire area, if you see ANY RUST, walk away. crawl under the car and look for oil seepage or water leaks, check the reserve reservoir and the brake fluid, If any of them are low, walk away.

I just bought a used Ford E-250 with 1800 miles on it for $21,000 (list was $36K) Power everything and it has the full factory 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. I rust proofed it and put an alarm and remote starter in it.

My last Van lasted 15 years. I better retire with this one

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
you may also want to scour some repair garages. often times they have cars that people decided werent worth fixing, so they fix them and flip them. they also sell vehicles to clean mechanics leins.

ive scored a couple beater commuter cars like this including my current beater, 1998 volvo v70. a whopping $300. NY stole 2/3 that just to get plates on it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Buying a used car was one of my worst experiences at the beginning of 2015.

People are insanely stupid when it comes to selling their car.

1. "I GERT A HERNDA IT'S WERF A LERT OF MOOONAY!!!" No your 11 year old car with 220k miles on it is not worth $3k. I don't care what KBB says.

2. "I got a rust bucket, don't be hatin on the rust bucket." No your old POS truck with a frame that is practically gone is not worth $1500. Again wtf is wrong with you?

3. "I have a late model car for cheap." No you have a car that should be towed to a scrap yard because you wrecked it.

4. "I have a POS car that I stuck a lot of money in." Yeah I really don't care at all that you had maintenance fees and I'm certainly not going to reimburse you for them.

5. "I have a car in good shape, my lowest is still $500 more than the highest KBB rating." LOL no just no.

6. "I have a great deal! Just needs a brake job, new battery, new tires and a transmission/or engine!" Bro really you are stupid, you really are.

And my favorite experience happened meeting a dude to check out his car:

7. "Man I can't get to work if I sell it to you today, can you wait a couple days?" Seriously you are selling your only means of transportation? WTF is wrong with you? No I'm not going to wait, I need a stupid car too or else I wouldn't be here with cash in my hand.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
NY is a big place-- tens of thousands of square miles. If you mean NYC, say that. The world doesn't revolve around NYC.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
My advice, drive to Jersey about an hour and a half in or upstate an hour and a half in and check out used cars in new car dealerships. You don't want to buy a car that was born and bred in the city. Those cars drive through potholes daily and hardly get any highway miles. A car with 50000 miles in the city is worse than a car with 100000 highway miles outside of the city.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Car fax is a joke! It only will show you stuff that gets reported. If someone doesn't report it then it's not reported. Stay away from used car dealers. 95% of them sell nothing but junk that's cleaned up to look good. You are in a bit of a pickle though since you have no credit. Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
Iv been through the used car racket a few times, what always has worked well for me is to find the older seller like aNsky said. They will usually be reasonable on price and they maintain the stuff they buy, bought a 2001 buick lesaber with 90k miles and no rust ran the thing for 3 years and sold it to a friend things still going strong, any time I have tried a used "dealer" they try to push a POS on you, but out here in the boonies it seems easyer to find a seller.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Buying a used car was one of my worst experiences at the beginning of 2015.

People are insanely stupid when it comes to selling their car.

1. "I GERT A HERNDA IT'S WERF A LERT OF MOOONAY!!!" No your 11 year old car with 220k miles on it is not worth $3k. I don't care what KBB says.

2. "I got a rust bucket, don't be hatin on the rust bucket." No your old POS truck with a frame that is practically gone is not worth $1500. Again wtf is wrong with you?

3. "I have a late model car for cheap." No you have a car that should be towed to a scrap yard because you wrecked it.

4. "I have a POS car that I stuck a lot of money in." Yeah I really don't care at all that you had maintenance fees and I'm certainly not going to reimburse you for them.

5. "I have a car in good shape, my lowest is still $500 more than the highest KBB rating." LOL no just no.

6. "I have a great deal! Just needs a brake job, new battery, new tires and a transmission/or engine!" Bro really you are stupid, you really are.

And my favorite experience happened meeting a dude to check out his car:

7. "Man I can't get to work if I sell it to you today, can you wait a couple days?" Seriously you are selling your only means of transportation? WTF is wrong with you? No I'm not going to wait, I need a stupid car too or else I wouldn't be here with cash in my hand.
I've sold a few cars and can vouch for the fact that many buyers are the scum of the earth. I've been asked if I'll take payments, if I can hold onto it for a couple of weeks while they save the money up, etc. They just have no idea about what is reasonable, no basis in reality of how to act. And the low balls are out of this world, too, offering amounts only a desperate-for-cash crack head could consider.

Sellers are just as bad, like you said. Selling a car with a critical "easy to fix" problem that for some reason they didn't get fixed easily.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I've sold a few cars and can vouch for the fact that many buyers are the scum of the earth. I've been asked if I'll take payments, if I can hold onto it for a couple of weeks while they save the money up, etc. They just have no idea about what is reasonable, no basis in reality of how to act. And the low balls are out of this world, too, offering amounts only a desperate-for-cash crack head could consider.

Sellers are just as bad, like you said. Selling a car with a critical "easy to fix" problem that for some reason they didn't get fixed easily.
I had cash to work with (no loan) and sorry but unless the seller says firm that's not the real price. If I was selling a car I honestly would leave myself (unless it was a wicked cheap car) around $300 of play because when I'm buying I'm not paying the price you want unless it's a deal.

The $500 above KBB was fun because I did make him an offer that I thought was reasonable, but he refused. He had to get $500 above KBB for some idiotic reason (car was valued at $1500 in excellent condition and his car was not rust free).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts