New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title about sums it up. I think she's ready for a buy...but can't decide. I have a 391 teknys I like, I like Beretta, but not sure about the Urika 2. Don't know much about it. It's on sale 10% off, shelf gun only. She wants it light, low recoil. Was thinking the gas operated synthetic Urika would be good, but the Franchi has a shorter LOP. Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
868 Posts
My girl shoots a 391 Urika and loves it. I also shot a 391 for many years with no complaints. I think the only difference between the urika and urika 2 is the gas system. (the 2 is suppose to be "self cleaning"). Also keep in mind that after market/ replacement parts are going to be more common to find over the Franchi.

But i guess what you two really need to figure out is what gun fits her the best.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I have a Franchi 48 field grade in 20 gauge, hate to admit I've had it over 40 years, it has been my favorite shotgun all these years. It's light and shoots so nice. Never had a mechanical issue with it, awesome gun.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Franchi looked nicer, but I think she knows the Beretta name a bit more. Both don't have adjustable LOP, or comb. Is it harder to adjust LOP on a synthetic gun vs wood?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great choice - same kind my wife shoots. She commandeered it from me.... I put a shorter stock on it and it fits her well. Consider doing the same if you see her struggling with it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She definitely is fighting with it. It needs to be cut down or a shorter stock put on..what did you swap to? It's leaving red marks, and she's afraid to get her cheek down in it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a spare parallel target stock for about $150, cut it down myself, and put an adjustable butt plate on it that I had lying around. I wanted to keep my original stock in case she got tired of the sport or the gun. If you are willing to cut that stock, you can get it cut and get a 4 way adjustable butt plate put on for around $175. Gun fit is everything, and even more important for a beginner - although they end up getting forced into adapting to a gun instead of getting one fit right and then they lose interest.

I can give you recommendations for folks in the Rochester area that do good work, I don't know anyone in BFLO, but there probably are some.

EDIT - oops, I just noticed you got the synthetic stock. I don't know if you can just swap a wood one in. There is not a lot of folks putting adjustability into the synth stocks. I have only seen one. Here is another option:

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

This guys is pretty well respected. No idea if he can put one on a synthetic stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts