New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my lower build soon so I will need to purchase a mag well vise block, which seems pretty simple and straight forward.

I also figure I might as well buy the upper vise block at the same time since some are sold as sets and could save me some money.

I see two different types:

The kind that mounts to the delta rings
Rectangle Composite material Bicycle part Metal Auto part

The kind that wraps around the receiver
Rectangle Camera accessory Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part

Is one style better than the other? Are there any benefits to one and not the other?

What do you experts suggest?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I have never used a lower vise block. Never seen a need for one. You can make due without one. I do use a bench block that I have laying around for pistol work when I put a lower together.

I use the upper vise block that holds the pins. I got it because the kind that clamps the receiver doesn't fit a billet upper right. I have use it to build a few uppers and never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I've used the delta rings type a few times and love it, have zero problems or issues, very sturdy. Never tried the other one, but it seems it would not be as useful if you were installing the gas tube and rails, as you need to maneuver the rails a bit.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd buy both. Use the one that mounts around the receiver to tighten the barrel nut and the delta ring style for everything else! If you can't buy the wrap around style. I used the delta ring style on a recent build and thought I was going to crack the upper receiver getting the barrel nut just right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Maybe I will buy both as cgrutt said. I don't want to break my upper!

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
When I built my last upper, I actually borrowed the wrap-around style from a forum member and it worked great. The main issue I see with the top one is that it focuses all that torque (from tightening the barrel nut) on the two small points that it mounts to. I tightened my YHM free-float to about 37ft/lbs of torque. If I were using the top one, I think I'd be sweating it out and waiting for something to break.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
30-80 ft-lb is not going to break the upper. If you need more than 80 you need to retime he barrel nut.

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
Only have used the takedown pins style ones. Haven't had an issue!

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 2 cents worth !!! I would say for New Assembly either would work fine,,although me being me I like the wrap around one best ! I think the issue can be if you have a used/older rifle and say ya wanted to pull the BBL off,,who knows what some Bubba Smith torques it to,,or maybe put loctite on the threads,,etc,,,,ya just NEVER know !!!! In that case I want the wrap around one,,,I have seen broken uppers when trying to take the BBL nut off from unknown units,,,,better safe than sorry I guess !! When its all said and done,,buy both,,its all good stuff to have !!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When I built my last upper, I actually borrowed the wrap-around style from a forum member and it worked great..
He borrowed them from me and I'm more than happy to loan them to you if you'd like. I have the block for the magwell and the wrap-around style for the upper. A different member has them at the moment for his build, but if you're interested I'll send them to you as soon as he's done.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No point in even getting the lower vice block in my opinion.. I got one when I did my build and never even used it

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
My 2 cents worth !!! I would say for New Assembly either would work fine,,although me being me I like the wrap around one best ! I think the issue can be if you have a used/older rifle and say ya wanted to pull the BBL off,,who knows what some Bubba Smith torques it to,,or maybe put loctite on the threads,,etc,,,,ya just NEVER know !!!! In that case I want the wrap around one,,,I have seen broken uppers when trying to take the BBL nut off from unknown units,,,,better safe than sorry I guess !! When its all said and done,,buy both,,its all good stuff to have !!
I just had this happen actually.

Upper from a company online... tried to take the barrel nut off and they torqued it on so tight I could not get it off with my dpms claw vise block, even using some heat.

Gave it to someone with a wraparound type vise block to try.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I just had this happen actually.

Upper from a company online... tried to take the barrel nut off and they torqued it on so tight I could not get it off with my dpms claw vise block, even using some heat.

Gave it to someone with a wraparound type vise block to try.
And it worked like a charm! :)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Zombie Thread Alert: so I have an issue with a build I have going now and two upcoming builds. I have a clamshell style vise block problem is that my next upper is a Mega billet GTR3H which is not round and is squared off to match the lower it came with. The clamshell will not clamp on to it. Furthermore, I ordered a Six8 stripped reciever set from LWRC via group buy on another forum and they are proprietary for the 6.8 SPC round and oversized.

So, I've been considering the DPMS Claw since it uses the takedown and pivot pin holes to hold it down plus it has material that goes up inside the upper to support it as well. Any recent updates on using the claw? Brownells sells them and cannot seem to find anywhere else so guess that's my best bet....

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You definitely want to use wrap around receiver block. It comes with an insert that goes inside the receiver for strengthening. Brownells sell a kit which includes wrap around upper block, lower block and barrel nut wrench. In my opinion those are the best tools for the job. The blocks are non-metal and will not leave marks on your receiver.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You definitely want to use wrap around receiver block. It comes with an insert that goes inside the receiver for strengthening. Brownells sell a kit which includes wrap around upper block, lower block and barrel nut wrench. In my opinion those are the best tools for the job.
His issue with a bolck like that is it doesn't work on certain billet uppers he has. They won't work with lefty receivers either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts