New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an "Off Brand" stripped lower,and parked a RRA upper on it and I must say it has just about more shake,rattle and roll than any AK or SKS I have ever handled......Any solutions my friends ???

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
An accu-wedge is available. I am not a fan of them. You can get pins that you tighten and they draw the upper/lower together. I have never used them and don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've also heard that adding a small o-ring to the front pin can tighten receiver-receiver fit.

I actually prefer the Accuwedge, if something is needed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have used accu-wedges and they suck! They work on some lowers, but not all. The bottom shelf in the lower is different in some manufacturers. I have not tried the o-ring around the front lug but ive heard it works.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
how is your accuracy? Accuwedge didn't do squat for my gun, made accuracy worse.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
THE RAVEN said:
Any solutions??
Yes, ignore it.
It won't effect accuracy in the least and is a normal, common and expected occurance, up to the point where there's a spec to measure it on old worn receivers to see if it has become excessive.

A new upper mated to a new lower is not going to have exccesive play unless one or both are real POS' but there will indeed be some amount present regardless.

Its there on brand new Colts, BCM, DD, etc.
About the only ones that don't have play are Noveske and factory precison matched pieces.
(BIG duckies IOW)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Armalite national match take down pins.

You buy them direct from Armalite.

·
Registered
528 Posts
About the only ones that don't have play are Noveske and factory precison matched pieces.
(BIG duckies IOW)
Noveske and Larue.

I once showed someone the insides of a factory new Larue and it took three of us in the shop to get it back together. Mark builds 'em tight.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
it took three of us in the shop to get it back together.
Methinks I wouldn't go spreadin' that around :D

Still, a loose fit is a non~issue in the grander scheme of it all.

G

·
If you must have a "Bank-Vault" fit between your upper and lower recievers, you can always have steel bushings intalled by a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried 2 diff uppers on the lower,same result......Guess that's what I get for buying an off brand.....I know it won't change the accuracy at all but still.......:err:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You get what you pay for. Buy a quality lower. This is why it's important to have matched upper/lower from the same company

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This is also why you never should buy "re-branded" lowers as you never know what you are going to get. If the **** is not machined in house, don't bother with it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is also why you never should buy "re-branded" lowers as you never know what you are going to get. If the **** is not machined in house, don't bother with it.
I know that......All I am going to say,in public anyway is that is came from a "local" source so I thought it would be a quality lower......And then again maybe I got a dud....I will however not make the same mistake twice and will stick to a name brand next time,mainly because they probably wouldn't let one like this go out the door....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know that......All I am going to say,in public anyway is that is came from a "local" source so I thought it would be a quality lower......And then again maybe I got a dud....I will however not make the same mistake twice and will stick to a name brand next time,mainly because they probably wouldn't let one like this go out the door....
whatever brand lower it is you have probably fits fine to and upper of the same brand. Mil-Specs seem to all fit each other decent. The commercial stuff is all hit and miss as the specs being slightly off will give u play.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
whatever brand lower it is you have probably fits fine to and upper of the same brand. Mil-Specs seem to all fit each other decent. The commercial stuff is all hit and miss as the specs being slightly off will give u play.
If you get a lower that is very far to one end of the "spec" it can be a real bitch to find an upper that will give you a nice proper fit. Sometimes it is just not possible to find one (even in the same brand) This is why i will never buy spikes and many others crap ever again.

Raven, if I were you I would dump it and pick up a good brand name lower. Not only will it add value to the gun in the long run (no name parts guns aren't worth **** outside of the small local market they are in) But you will get better QC, and fit and finish. Any shop worth their salt will let you check every lower they have (if needed) in order to find one that best fits your desire.

good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you get a lower that is very far to one end of the "spec" it can be a real bitch to find an upper that will give you a nice proper fit. Sometimes it is just not possible to find one (even in the same brand) This is why i will never buy spikes and many others crap ever again.

Raven, if I were you I would dump it and pick up a good brand name lower. Not only will it add value to the gun in the long run (no name parts guns aren't worth **** outside of the small local market they are in) But you will get better QC, and fit and finish. Any shop worth their salt will let you check every lower they have (if needed) in order to find one that best fits your desire.

good luck!
I have two Spikes lowers, two palmetto state, and a stag arms. And i would have to say my spikes tactical fits best on all of my uppers that i have.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts