New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrading restricted permit in Orange Cty NY

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  mikeCentola 
#1 ·
Hi. New member interested in upgrading restricted permit to full carry. Had restricted permit (target, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping) since 1998 with no incidents (not even a speeding ticket). Moved from Rockland to Orange in 2007 (permit changed over in 2007). Want to upgrade mainly for home protection but I travel between two homes weekly Cornwall and Lake George) and don't want to have any issues from transporting between houses (grey area). Have plenty of references and willing to take classes etc if necessary. Any advise on process and chance of success is appreciated.

#8 ·
and don't want to have any issues from transporting between houses (grey area)
Why is transporting between houses on a restricted license a "gray area"? You just follow whatever transportation guidelines are in place in your county and you shouldn't have any problems.

I wish you luck getting your unrestricted license but I would not advise using "I need to transport it between my two houses" as your justification. They'll probably just tell you that your current license already enables you to do that.

#10 ·
You will need to submit an amendment for your NYS Pistol Permit. On the amendment form, select OTHER and write in UNRESTRICTED. Submit the amendment form, along with a letter to the judge. Just put in the letter how long you have had your permit and that you are a responsible person etc etc. Send the amendment along with a check for $5 and whatever else is asked for in the amendment form.

Do not expect to hear from the Judge's office for at least 2 months. After 2 or so months, you will get a phone call and or letter asking you to appear before the judge.

You will appear before the judge in a courtroom setting. The judge will talk to you a bit and make a determination.

You can get the forms online at Orange County Government Web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.