New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the first time in my life I may be able to enjoy the freedoms that many Americans enjoy but not available to living in NYC.

Sometime next week I will be visiting family in Georgia and my parents said they might take me to a shooting range and shoot themselves as well.

I have a couple questions regarding this.

Since I am from NY and going visit a range in Georgia, will I have to fill out any special paperwork or go through a background check to rent a rifle/handgun to shoot at the range?

Also the range offers $20 handgun sessions and $10 rifle sessions. How long is a session typically and what is involved?

Since I am from NY is it illegal for me being a non resident of Georgia to rent a gun at the range?

Also would it be best to use cash or credit at the range? I am thinking using cash being more safe and not showing up that I used "guns" on my credit card statement being from a place where it is illegal for me to have one.

When I mean "illegal" I mean the nearly impossible process to obtain a handgun or rifle in NYC and not actually having to do with a record as I have a clean background with no offenses.

Sorry if I sound like relatively inexperienced with this but I never had much experience with guns outside of shooting a 22 rifle at my uncles house upstate one time. It really sucks being in NYC.

I am really excited to enjoy some freedoms down south while I visit family. I just want to be best prepared as possible if I get to visit the range.

Thank You

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm no lawyer and generally considered fairly stupid by those close to me, so don't call me for bail, but...
You are not bringing anything back to NY - you won't even be leaving the range, right? So it's all good and legal as long as you are not a prohibited person under Georgia law.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
GO enjoy yourself at the range and pretend that NY doesn't exist. I highly doubt that you'll have any trouble doing whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is an example of just how screwed up this state is. We have people that are paranoid about shooting in another state. Libertyviper I am no lawyer and I don't know the laws of georgia. However, I did travel to texas last year to visit a brother. At the time I did not yet have my NY state pistol permit. We went to a range and all I had to do was show a drivers license. They let us rent and shoot anything we wanted. It was a great afternoon!

Relax, have fun on your trip. My advice is to shoot every last thing your heart desires and that you can afford. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
This is an example of just how screwed up this state is. We have people that are paranoid about shooting in another state. Libertyviper I am no lawyer and I don't know the laws of georgia. However, I did travel to texas last year to visit a brother. At the time I did not yet have my NY state pistol permit. We went to a range and all I had to do was show a drivers license. They let us rent and shoot anything we wanted. It was a great afternoon!

Relax, have fun on your trip. My advice is to shoot every last thing your heart desires and that you can afford. Good luck!
It is an example of frogs in a pot on the stove. It is an example of a generation that has been strapped in car seats for the first 8 years of life. Helmets while riding a tricycle, and no I 'm not criticizing the kids. It is their parents that made them this way after being threatened by a Government here in the land of the Free.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went with my friend to an indoor range in Columbus, OH. He had his Glock 17 and a concealed carry permit and all I had was a NY state driver's license. I was allowed to rent any type of pistol I wanted and shoot it at the range no questions asked. I just had to watch a 2 minutes safety video about how to act on the range. I am guessing most states are like that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with all the comments. Have fun and be safe

Before I went to a range or gun store, I watched a few YouTube videos and internet articles on do's and don'ts. It helped me so I didn't make some newbie mistakes. Follow all safety rules. Make sure you have adequate eyes and ears.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Here locally in Western Washington the two shooting ranges that I go to both have 50 plus handguns used for range guns.
It cost $15 to rent one handgun and you have as much time in the indoor range you want, 10 minutes or 10 hours.
For $25 you can shoot every gun in the house,one at a time. You can shoot from opening time to closeing time.
You have to buy range ammo for use in the range guns.

You can bring any gun to the range and just pay a lane fee.

The $25 any gun deal is the best way to go, it's a great way to actually shoot all types and makes of handguns for a small fee.

All you need is a State issued ID to shot at the range.

Have fun there and tell us how you liked it at the range. There should be a few shooting ranges in PA you could go to with a few friends or family members.

Most Shooting Ranges have a gun sales dept, I've bought several guns at both ranges both New & Used.
I wouldn't buy a range gun, they have way to many rounds down their tubes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most Shooting Ranges have a gun sales dept, I've bought several guns at both ranges both New & Used.
I wouldn't buy a range gun, they have way to many rounds down their tubes.
Well i wont be buying a gun lol and I guess you know why. One reason being my parents house and of course the anti-gun/freedom rules of NYC.

I hope I get a chance to go the the range, my parents said they may take me and they will go shooting with me if we go. I hope so because maybe I can get them away from their fear of guns lol. I mean they are not fully anti-gun but being they never grew up around them besides when we go hunting every few years upstate has them falling for the anti-gun propaganda never have owned a gun before and living in NYC all their life. I mean even in the 1970's the permitting rules for handguns and rifles was ridiculous and we can all thank the Sullivan act for that. NYC just uped the notch tenfold from the rest of the state.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I respect your desire to want to make sure you abide by the law. Your concerns are a result of the fear that NY has instilled in its citizens while eroding away your constitutional right over many years. However, you have nothing to worry about. Georgia respects your rights and while in the confines of her borders, you need not fear the oppressive regime of NY. Georgia will give NY the finger on your behalf. I encourage you to watch a few videos on range etiquette and safety so that you will have less to worry about. This will ensure more enjoyment from your experience. Don't be afraid to ask the range staff if you have anything you're not certain of. On a side note, Georgians are different then we are and sometimes are "reserved" around yankees. Don't be afraid to compliment them on their fine state and hospitality. This will go a long way with them. Have fun and shoot! Your shooting experience down there will be more in line with what our forefathers had in mind when they created our Constitution. When you get back, be an advocate to your friends and family about gun rights since you will then have the experience of two greatly differing divides.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Wow. Ny state really gets into people's heads. It's like a guy that's been in jail so long that once free doesn't know how to handle life outside prison.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

So I just got back from the gun range with my parents and I had so much fun.

Before we shot, all that was needed was our Photo ID's, fill out a safety form and watch an instructional video. They photocopied our ID's and held them until we were finished shooting.

We all rented some guns. I got to shoot around 100 rounds between the two handguns and the AR 15.

I dont recall the brand for the AR I used but I did use both a Glock and Smith and Weston handguns.

It was so awesome and my parents had a good time. For me, I got the hang of using the guns and reloading the much quicker than my parents as I have been researching much before I got there as well as having prior knowledge despite only shooting rifle once in my life. Handgun reloading is abit harder compared to the AR 15 but not terrible. The prices we very reasonable and the range was one of the biggest in the state.

Our range instructor was former military and was very helpful and great to talk with.

I am glad I finally got to taste what I will probably never get in NY. My ultimate goal is to get out of this state and enjoy what I got to do today and even more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
libertyviper, good to hear that you had fun! I'm also a fellow NYCer and newbie to firearms so I get your concerns with all the restrictions.

Have you thought about getting a handgun license? If you apply for (and get) a premise handgun license you can then shoot handguns at the range. I'm (still) going through the lengthy (lots and lots of waiting time) and expensive process now, but I think it will be definitely be worth it.

In the meantime, I try to hop on over NJ when I can where you don't need a permit to shoot at a range. I just needed my license and had to fill out a form. It's difficult to get to without a car (so I have to rely on other people), but definitely worth looking into.

Also, you can shoot rifles in NYC without a permit at a range here in the city. I go to Westside Rifle & Pistol range. You can take a course and then shoot .22lr there (not sure if it's req'd if you've already shot a rifle before?). If you become a member you can also shoot .38 and .44s rifles. The guys are Westside are all super friendly and helpful too.

And keep on shooting!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Everything is more free than NY in *almost* every other state. It is hard for NY's or former NY's to get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts