New York Firearms Forum banner

Unsure of how to proceed...

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  zorronzeke 
#1 ·
So I submitted my concealed weapon permit several weeks ago and understand that there is a 6 month wait involved. I moved back here from Virginia back in December of 2011. I had my concealed weapons permit down there and also bought a Springfield XDM .40 Caliber pistol. The gun is currently still in Virginia with my ex. **Despite a rough break up, she was kind enough to let me leave it down there until I attained my concealed weapons permit in NYS** What steps would I have to take to bring the pistol into NYS lawfully?

Would I have to get the serial number and proof of purchase (Bought it at a Bass Pro Shop) or are there other steps I would have to take? Thanks for any help you can give me.

#3 ·
^ that. and i would recommend talking to the ffl to see if they could take possession until you get your permit and hold it then once you get your permit transfer it to you. that way its not with an ex because 6 months + from now she might not be so nice or feel the same about holding it or sending it you once you have your permit.

#5 · (Edited)
Wasn't there a really long thread about this topic. I remember someone had 100 handguns out of state and doing FFL transfers on all of them would be crazy.

ATF FAQ

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

#11 ·
Wasn't there a really long thread about this topic. I remember someone had 100 handguns out of state and doing FFL transfers on all of them would be crazy.

ATF FAQ

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
But, you would be shipping a gun you can't take possession of until it is on your permit buy state law. There may or may not be a law that says you have to do that if you own it legally in another state, nor am I going to bother looking, but I can pretty much guarantee your asking for a carp load of trouble if you go to the PP department and try to register it.

#12 ·
Since you already own the gun, you don't have to go through a FFL to legally transfer it--what's the point of legally transferring it from yourself to yourself? However, in order to possess the gun in NY, you DO need to have it registered and put on your NYS pistol license. Herein is where the problem lies: part of the gun registration process involves having a P-12 form filled out and sent to the State Police in Albany (the P-12 form needs to be filled out by a FFL with a NYS dealer/gunsmith license). There are procedures in place in many counties to register out-of-state firearms and circumvent the NYS dealer P-12 process--but since many of the county clerk's office employee's don't know the process, they simply tell people that they "need to have it transferred through a FFL".

#15 ·
Don't know the particulars about Steuban Co. but I think this appiles across NY state...you have to get a pistol permit from your county and have someone in VA ship the firearm to a FFL up here. When you have your permit, you can pick up your gun at the FFL. On your application, you'll have to list the firearm and its serial number but no proof of purchase req'd. Again, in Steuban I don't know, but where I live a CC permit is a fantasy, won't happen. Regular ole' permit (i.e. target, hunting, etc.) will have to do.

#16 ·
...you have to get a pistol permit from your county and have someone in VA ship the firearm to a FFL up here. When you have your permit, you can pick up your gun at the FFL. .
I think you missed the point, he is going to ship after it's been added to his permit. If he wanted the gun in NY before he had permit it would have to be held by a FFL. After it's on his permit he will be sending himself his own gun. No transfer of ownership. ATF says OK as long as he's legal to own it in both locations. (no shipping of the magazine)

#19 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback. I need to look into the magazine issue more thoroughly though. But I still have months to go before I hear anything in regards to my application. I know that all of my character references have been called and that was a month ago, so hopefully within the next few months I will hear something.

Again, thanks for all of the input. I will look into the magazine issue, as well as using an FFL to ship... It would be great if I could register it before it is even brought into the state though.

But if worst comes to worst, I'll just move to Pennsylvania. My concealed permit is good there (from VA).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.