New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me when and where I can carry with an unrestricted permit I Erie County and if firearm must be concealed or can it be open carry?

·
Registered
557 Posts
NY is pretty good on where you can carry believe it or not. Really the only places off limits are post offices including parking lots and school building and grounds (unless you have admin permission). Other than that there isn't much to worry about. Something like a courthouse will have a metal detector most likely, but it's not a law that you cannot carry in there. Just a policy. Some places like county or state parks have rules that it's off limits but in most cases no law is being broken, and as far as like a state park it is only a violation level offense anyway (not a crime, just like a speeding ticket) so you have to decide what you want to do. As far as the concealed vs open carry there is a lot of debate about it. Contact your licensing officer on that one because his opinion is the only one that matters. Just realize that it is "socially unacceptable" in most areas and people may be alarmed and police may be called which will probably not lead to much happening but could be an inconvenience or embarrassing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The link supplied above is a good resource...court houses are off limits. There was a time when schools could grant permission, that was changed. The penal law references a license 'to carry concealed'...while it doesn't specifically mention open carry, it is not a good idea. Rural areas upstate may be ok, it all depends on the local police and/or some citizen who sees a gun and yells fire. I personally prefer to keep my gun concealed...less aggravation.

·
Registered
570 Posts
All federal (including parkings lots) and state buildings = no firearms by default. When I get my permit card & letter they specified my county had no carry in their buildings. Some cities have limits/towns/etc. (ie Buffalo says no carry in at least one park I've been to on the water front, but that's on the entrance sign of the park).

As for open vs concealed, it's my understand NY has no open carry options unless you're law enforcement/security. I've been to gun shows where dealers open carried, but I don't know if it's because they're allowed to (job exception) or because the venue didn't care.

Just an FYI, if you go to PA they CAN open carry, so don't be surprised if you see that down there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Open carry only while hunting and at the shooting range. Learn every law regarding carrying your pistol, and then remember, the cop you might run into has his interpretation of the law—but even if he’s wrong you pay for the attorney.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The link supplied above is a good resource...court houses are off limits. There was a time when schools could grant permission, that was changed. The penal law references a license 'to carry concealed'...while it doesn't specifically mention open carry, it is not a good idea. Rural areas upstate may be ok, it all depends on the local police and/or some citizen who sees a gun and yells fire. I personally prefer to keep my gun concealed...less aggravation.
Unless you can cite the laws you're referencing it should be safe to assume your post is incorrect. The penal law does not support your claim that courts are off limits. They may have a rule but it is not in the penal law that guns are forbidden. At the same time, the penal law does say school admin may grant permission to carry and if they do so you are exempt from that law. Unless you have a link to some new version of the penal law, we will have to go by what is publicly available, and that is exactly what I posted prior. It seems someone probably gave you bad information somewhere along the way and you are repeating it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I like this thread. Fair, balanced, and sufficiently polite. This thing could have gotten ugly quick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just so we are clear...the laws in the State of New York do little to prevent gun violence or bad acts...law abiding citizens obey the laws, criminals don't. As for the 'guns in school' issue...Cuomo signed new laws that limit a school's the ability to grant folks [other than those listed] the right to carry on school grounds. the press release was in July/2019...the law was signed by the governor.

S.101A/A.1715 Limits Educational Institutions' Ability to Authorize the Possession of a Weapon on School Grounds

Governor Cuomo: "The answer to the gun violence epidemic plaguing this country has never been and never will be more guns, and today we're expanding New York's nation-leading gun safety laws to further protect our children. These measures will help slow the proliferation of guns by keeping unneeded firearms out of school zones and helping to ensure unwanted or illegal guns don't fall into dangerous hands.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today signed legislation limiting an educational institution's ability to authorize any person who is not primarily employed as a school resource officer, law enforcement officer or security guard to carry a firearm on school grounds (S.101/A.1715), ).

as for the restrictions pertaining to court houses...the applicable statute is governed by the Rules of the NYS Office of Court Administration...[see below] I know first hand that some counties like Saratoga, Warren and Greene don't allow guns in the county clerks office...this is likely a 'home rule' provision, also not covered by the penal law.

Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License  Firearms (other than carried by peace officers and federal officers) are NOT permitted in courthouses under the rules of the NYS Office of Court Administration, which have the force and effect of law. Federal law bans firearms in federal courthouses and US attorney offices, except for law enforcement personnel  Certain cities and all counties may, under home rule options, ban firearms from their governmental building

Bottom line: I try to follow these issues and share information to help others...none if it is meant to be a 'challenge' to anyone's knowledge or understanding of the law. Make your own decisions and do what you think is best. I'm happy to be corrected or educated with information that I may have missed. If this information is not deemed helpful or correct, I ask the moderators to remove it.

wilma

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just so we are clear...the laws in the State of New York do little to prevent gun violence or bad acts...law abiding citizens obey the laws, criminals don't. As for the 'guns in school' issue...Cuomo signed new laws that limit a school's the ability to grant folks [other than those listed] the right to carry on school grounds. the press release was in July/2019...the law was signed by the governor.

S.101A/A.1715 Limits Educational Institutions' Ability to Authorize the Possession of a Weapon on School Grounds

Governor Cuomo: "The answer to the gun violence epidemic plaguing this country has never been and never will be more guns, and today we're expanding New York's nation-leading gun safety laws to further protect our children. These measures will help slow the proliferation of guns by keeping unneeded firearms out of school zones and helping to ensure unwanted or illegal guns don't fall into dangerous hands.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today signed legislation limiting an educational institution's ability to authorize any person who is not primarily employed as a school resource officer, law enforcement officer or security guard to carry a firearm on school grounds (S.101/A.1715), ).

as for the restrictions pertaining to court houses...the applicable statute is governed by the Rules of the NYS Office of Court Administration...[see below] I know first hand that some counties like Saratoga, Warren and Greene don't allow guns in the county clerks office...this is likely a 'home rule' provision, also not covered by the penal law.

Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License  Firearms (other than carried by peace officers and federal officers) are NOT permitted in courthouses under the rules of the NYS Office of Court Administration, which have the force and effect of law. Federal law bans firearms in federal courthouses and US attorney offices, except for law enforcement personnel  Certain cities and all counties may, under home rule options, ban firearms from their governmental building

Bottom line: I try to follow these issues and share information to help others...none if it is meant to be a 'challenge' to anyone's knowledge or understanding of the law. Make your own decisions and do what you think is best. I'm happy to be corrected or educated with information that I may have missed. If this information is not deemed helpful or correct, I ask the moderators to remove it.

wilma
Yea, so the no permission to carry in a school relates to school employees, and as for the other thing you posted about courts it is from an amateur "law" website and is basically giving you a personal opinion of whoever wrote it. Nothing they say about courts exists in the penal law that is on the books. The author's opinions are meaningless. I have found many errors on those types of websites. One even published that you can have a pistol legally at your house with no permit. Follow their advice and you'll be a felon before you know it. Pull the actual law not someones opinion of what it may or may not be. You're going to get yourself or someone else in severe trouble one day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yea, so the no permission to carry in a school relates to school employees, and as for the other thing you posted about courts it is from an amateur "law" website and is basically giving you a personal opinion of whoever wrote it. Nothing they say about courts exists in the penal law that is on the books. The author's opinions are meaningless. I have found many errors on those types of websites. One even published that you can have a pistol legally at your house with no permit. Follow their advice and you'll be a felon before you know it. Pull the actual law not someones opinion of what it may or may not be. You're going to get yourself or someone else in severe trouble one day.
You do what you think is best. I will follow my own understanding of the laws and regulations. As for others, they can do the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NY is pretty good on where you can carry believe it or not. Really the only places off limits are post offices including parking lots and school building and grounds (unless you have admin permission). Other than that there isn't much to worry about. Something like a courthouse will have a metal detector most likely, but it's not a law that you cannot carry in there. Just a policy. Some places like county or state parks have rules that it's off limits but in most cases no law is being broken, and as far as like a state park it is only a violation level offense anyway (not a crime, just like a speeding ticket) so you have to decide what you want to do. As far as the concealed vs open carry there is a lot of debate about it. Contact your licensing officer on that one because his opinion is the only one that matters. Just realize that it is "socially unacceptable" in most areas and people may be alarmed and police may be called which will probably not lead to much happening but could be an inconvenience or embarrassing.
If you have restriction you can only carry where you can't carry anywhere you want only to and from the designated places on permit. pretty much anywhere but around town. It has to concealed oneida county is good for restrictions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unless you can cite the laws you're referencing it should be safe to assume your post is incorrect. The penal law does not support your claim that courts are off limits. They may have a rule but it is not in the penal law that guns are forbidden. At the same time, the penal law does say school admin may grant permission to carry and if they do so you are exempt from that law. Unless you have a link to some new version of the penal law, we will have to go by what is publicly available, and that is exactly what I posted prior. It seems someone probably gave you bad information somewhere along the way and you are repeating it.

So, there is no Penal law that states that firearms are forbidden in court rooms. HOWEVER, the NYSOCA does have rules against it. With that, NYSOCA rules have the "full force and effect of the law"

·
Registered
557 Posts
So, there is no Penal law that states that firearms are forbidden in court rooms. HOWEVER, the NYSOCA does have rules against it. With that, NYSOCA rules have the "full force and effect of the law"
A rule is a rule. There is simply nothing to charge. You can't just make up a law code out of thin air and say someone violated it.
Don't over think it. If you have your gun on you and go through screening they will tell you you may not enter the secured space with it. You will have to remove it and leave it in your car or decide not to enter the secured area. Choice is yours. There will however not be a law created on the fly and no arrest will be made as an officer would need to articulate a specific law being broke - the law does not exist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts