New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my "Unique Pin Number for just under a year, When the do the NICS Check Electronically I alway get DELAYED!. When it's called in I get 100% PROCEED. I need to call them at the center to see why this is taking place. I've bought about twenty guns since I had this Unique Pin Number.

Any one else getting Delays with a Unique Pin Number?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I put the number on my form every time. Have used three different dealers and none of them ever use it whether they're using the computer or on the phone. All transactions have been immediately "proceed."
I am one of the few in my area with a UPIN and the smaller dealers have never heard of it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Highland, I wasn't aware of any pin number.
Just before last Christmas, I got a delay for the first time in my life when buying a rifle at my lgs.
I was doing the check on their computer and it was the first time I had used a touch screen so the Clerk helped me finish it.
The only reason for the delay I could figure was it was the first time my social security number wasn't used.
I had to back two or three days later to pick the rifle up.
Pedro.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had a UPIN for two years. I had to get it because I was getting erroneously delayed at every transfer.

So I get it and start getting "PROCEED" on the spot. Wow this is great. They usually have transfer to "further review" but I walk out with the gun.

Then all of a sudden I get "Denied" so I appeal and they tell me that the denial was not based on a fingerprint record, so im good to go, and my UPIN is still good. They even send a nice official looking certificate to give to the dealer.

Now lately I have been getting "Proceed" immediately without further review both on phone and the computer. I think whatever was coming up is gone now.

So to summarize, I think there have been some recent changes at nics, although my experience is different than yours.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I've had my "Unique Pin Number for just under a year, When the do the NICS Check Electronically I alway get DELAYED!. When it's called in I get 100% PROCEED. I need to call them at the center to see why this is taking place. I've bought about twenty guns since I had this Unique Pin Number.

Any one else getting Delays with a Unique Pin Number?
It is very, very rare that I see a Delayed when someone is using a UPIN. The last time I did see it,we found out later that the salesman typed in the wrong spelling of the purchasers middle name. Had to re-call the infor in.

I have never seen a Denied when someone is using the UPIN. Many times, it is luck of the draw what the response from NICS is. Very moody program!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm sorry, I should have said UPIN, is this something you have to apply for or is it given to you.
Pedro.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry, I should have said UPIN, is this something you have to apply for or is it given to you.
Pedro.
Pedro
You have to apply for it, It is really simple.
Here is the link to get it going,
FBI - NICS Appeal Frequently Asked Questions

I called the FBI Center up and they put the aplication right out in the mail that day. The application came with a finger print card that I had to take to the local cop shop to get proccessed.
I mailed the completed simple application and finger print card back to them on May 1st 2013, I recieved the UPIN number back on August 5th 2013, It took three months and four days from mailing the compleated applcation and finger print card to them and getting it back.
The woman I talked to was very pleasant. There are two different numbers you can call 1-304-625-0535 or 1-304-625-4995. Or toll-free 1-877-FBI-NICS, 1-877-324-6427.
The only cost involved was a stamp to mail the completed application back to them and the $10 the local police staion charged to take the finger prints.

Before the UPIN I got delayed 100% of the time, which is a pain in the ass. I buy a lot of guns and with the delays I'd have to make another trip to the gun store or pawn shop to pick up the gun. Out here in Washington State you don't need a pistol permit to buy, sell & trade handguns or to use them & open carry. You do need a Conceal carry permit to conceal it. With a Conceal Carry POermit you get to take your handgun home with you as soon as you get the PROCEED from the FBI NICS people.

I'll be calling them up in a few minutes and ask them about getting delayed when the NICS check is electronically sent to them.
When it is called in it goes through the first round then sent to another dept. for the UPIN part of it.
When sent electronically they might skip the UPIN part.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called the FBI NICS department, The 1-304-625-0535 sounded like a fax tone. I then called the 1-304-625-4995 number and it is out of service.
I then called the 1-877-FBI-NICS, 1877-324-6427. It worked and was a recording, I put the proper number in and left my name, phone number and Unique Pin Number for them to call me back. I'll post the responce when I get their phone call and have time to get back on the computer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The UPIN process is painless. Calling the FBI is not. The applications are available on the website. You can even print out the fingerprint card on card stock and crop it. Which is what I did.

You should NOT pay for prints, most departments do it for free for their residents. My wife had them done at the NYSP barracks, which is closest. If you call them make sure you tell them that "you need to be fingerprinted IN INK" for employment or background check. If you say guns or pistol permit they will tell you that they don't do that anymore. Which is true, those fingerprints are all electronic now.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Than
I just called the FBI NICS department, The 1-304-625-0535 sounded like a fax tone. I then called the 1-304-625-4995 number and it is out of service.
I then called the 1-877-FBI-NICS, 1877-324-6427. It worked and was a recording, I put the proper number in and left my name, phone number and Unique Pin Number for them to call me back. I'll post the responce when I get their phone call and have time to get back on the computer.
I saved all the numbers, Thanks Highland!!
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They haven't returned the call yet, the few time I delt with them it went really easy. No bull**** what so ever.

Pedro
If your going to get a UPIN number you should make the call or download the application, & fingerprint card and get it sent in. My brother inlaw sent his in about four months ago, he hasn't recieved the UPIN number yet. You will get a confirmation letter that they recieved your application.
I mailed out the application on May 1st and got the confirmation letter in the mail on May 14th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts