New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of these plastic tubes at a flea market and I was wondering what they were used for. They look like they might be waterproof, so at $.50 each, I picked them up with the idea that I might use them in my BoB. Anyone know what they were used for previously and do you know if they're waterproof? On the top of one it has a GS and the other has a WP. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Tactical toothbrush holders?

I have no idea. Looks like a good thing to keep matches in if they are waterproof. Is there an O-ring under the cap?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that black line at the bottom of the threads appears to be an o-ring. I'm no expert on o-rings though, just o-faces! Lulzzzzzz

Anyway, maybe this weekend I'll test if they're waterproof.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've used them for blue prints and have stored my levels in them. In Florida, we would store art work in them in the event of a hurricane.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I would guess they were to store documents. Throw some oxygen absorbers in there and you should be able to keep things for a long time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
yep looks like a welding rod container... Lots of things you can use those for though if you use your imagination

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tactical pocket rocket? ......ladies

·
5,143 Posts
Tighten the cap and submerge them in water. I'll guess they will keep water out. The whole point of them is to keep the rods from oxidizing right?

G

·
Welding rods are covered with flux.

This flux is intended to enhance the welding process by shielding the weld puddle, form slag and to deoxidize.

It’s critically important to keep this flux dry. Failure to keep this flux dry may result in weld porosity, hydrogen embrittlement and cracking of the weld.

Sometimes welding rods are actually kept in ovens at 100 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent water vapor from permeating the welding rod.

The tubes you’ve got are intended for the storage of welding rods (electrodes) to protect them from water vapor. I sure hope these tubes are water tight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welding rods are covered with flux.

This flux is intended to enhance the welding process by shielding the weld puddle, form slag and to deoxidize.

It's critically important to keep this flux dry. Failure to keep this flux dry may result in weld porosity, hydrogen embrittlement and cracking of the weld.

Sometimes welding rods are actually kept in ovens at 100 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent water vapor from permeating the welding rod.

The tubes you've got are intended for the storage of welding rods (electrodes) to protect them from water vapor. I sure hope these tubes are water tight.
I didn't know you were a welder, so you know NOT to put 6011 in a rod oven then. lol.

·
5,143 Posts
Did you confirm they are waterproof?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts