New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any legal way for me to do this? I know trying to buy a stripped lower won't go through the NICS check because "HE'S 20, THAT MUST MEAN HE'LL TURN IT INTO A PISTOL" but what about buying a complete lower with a stock? Does that still count as just a "frame" or whatever they call it? I'd really like to start building an AR but there seems to be a lot of bullsh*t in the way.

thanks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Buy a whole AR and take the lower out? That is legal. (Expensive, yes.) Another dumbass law, but it exists. :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a whole AR and take the lower out? That is legal. (Expensive, yes.) Another dumbass law, but it exists. :(
no point in building my own AR if I already have one.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
no point in building my own AR if I already have one.
No point in that stupid law either, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :(

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You would either need to find someone who would sell you a lower private sale (which is pretty much illegal) or buy a full gun and just swap parts.

·
Registered
573 Posts
A complete lower will be sold as a rifle, because it's logged as one when it comes into the shop, so it will leave as one when you buy it. Just have them order a complete lower for you, and go from there.
The only reason the stripped lowers are "Other" is because they can be legally built into either a pistol or a rifle in most states.
Hell, for that matter, if you find a stripped lower for sale privately, you could have the current owner install a buffer tube, and stock (that you provide) before you bought it, and that should also be legal, since it's being sold to you in a rifle configuration.

(Not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV. Proceed at your own risk, your mileage may vary.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why would it be listed as a pistol in the first place? Its a stripped rifle lower. I believe I bought my stripped lower when I was 19 and didn't even think twice about it. Heck, I think you can turn any "rifle" into a pistol anyways.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's not listed as a pistol, it's listed as an "other" but since it isn't a rifle, he can't buy it, being under 19. It's an "other" because it can be built into either a pistol, or a rifle, and the only way to know what it ends up being is to build it.
I think they changed the forms, and the requirements a year or three ago.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
or wait till you're 21
No thank you.

A complete lower will be sold as a rifle, because it's logged as one when it comes into the shop, so it will leave as one when you buy it. Just have them order a complete lower for you, and go from there.
The only reason the stripped lowers are "Other" is because they can be legally built into either a pistol or a rifle in most states.
Hell, for that matter, if you find a stripped lower for sale privately, you could have the current owner install a buffer tube, and stock (that you provide) before you bought it, and that should also be legal, since it's being sold to you in a rifle configuration.

(Not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV. Proceed at your own risk, your mileage may vary.)
Thanks. I'll talk to Sebastian at Elite Guns about ordering a complete lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts