New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When useing a handgun I know we have the 10rd mag rule. However does this mean we can only buy pistols that have a max 10rd capacity?

I recently got my approval letter to buy a new gun and was wondering if we are allowed to buy handguns that have more than ten round mags or if we can only have ones that have ten rounds or less.

· Registered
753 Posts
Correct - in NYS you can't buy a handgun with mag capacity > 10 rounds. Unless you are LEO. Lesser mortals can't possibly be trusted with more than 10. And I don't mean to bash LEOs, just hating on the "NY state of mind".

· Banned
5,971 Posts
It's mag capacity not gun capacity that matters with a removable mag. A glock that comes with 10 round mags is not different than one that comes with the proper sized mags.

· Registered
4,836 Posts
It's mag capacity not gun capacity that matters with a removable mag. A glock that comes with 10 round mags is not different than one that comes with the proper sized mags.
This ^^^^^^^

There are handguns out there that don't have magazine available that are under 10 rounds, so you won't see those available for sale here. A friend just picked up a Walther PPQ that is generally rare for these parts from what I understand due to the highly limited availability of 10 round mags. But the rest of the country they're easily obtained with standard capacity mags.

· Registered
480 Posts
barretta 92F was military issue and has a 17 round mag. You can own the gun or any other...as long as the mag capacity maximum doesn't exceed 10 rounds. Best as I can splain it .
What if you only load a 17rd mag to 10rds ? I mean, we had 10rd mags and were only allowed to put in 7. NYS was willing to trust us then. It's called The Honor System people!!! ;^)

· Registered
57 Posts
What if you only load a 17rd mag to 10rds ? I mean, we had 10rd mags and were only allowed to put in 7. NYS was willing to trust us then. It's called The Honor System people!!! ;^)
Nope, mere possession of a magazine that has the capability to accept more than 10 rounds in it's current form is illegal regardless of how many rounds you have in it. If it was a 17 round magazine permanently modified to only hold 10 rounds, it would be good to go.

Most dealers won't ship a pistol to NY if it comes with a magazine above the 10 round capacity. I've had to ask companies to ship rifles and pistols with NO magazine if that was the case. They will usually oblige and you can legally take possession of your new firearm purchase. But then you are on your own to find a legal 10 round magazine.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got my aproveal letter to pick up my PA from 1pp but due to work i'm going to have a hard time getting off work to pick it up. Does anyone know if they would let a relative pick up the PA for me if I give them the letter?

· Registered
84 Posts
I just got my aproveal letter to pick up my PA from 1pp but due to work i'm going to have a hard time getting off work to pick it up. Does anyone know if they would let a relative pick up the PA for me if I give them the letter?
Bwhaaahaha, you know it's NYC, right? Of course they won't allow anyone but you to pick up the PA, and make sure you have your Driver's license and the pistol permit on you as well.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
So if I permanently modified a 17 round mag to hold 10 rounds I'm good to go. But how can I buy 17 round mags and bring them back to Newyorkistan legally without smuggling them over the border from free states.

· Registered
484 Posts
So if I permanently modified a 17 round mag to hold 10 rounds I'm good to go. But how can I buy 17 round mags and bring them back to Newyorkistan legally without smuggling them over the border from free states.
Stick with buying magazines manufactured to only hold 10. If you have a problem finding one for a current production model, PM or email me and I will try and help you out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.