New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our time has (hopefully) come friends…

The U.S. Supreme Court will finally take up a long ignored issue during its next term! Concealed carry and specifically it’s restrictions on New York State residents needing (in most cases) to show proper cause as to why we should be allowed to carry concealed outside of our homes for self defense. Of course we don’t know the outcome of the case but at least they are going to make a decision for once. It can’t get any worse for me at least. I already can’t get my restrictions lifted in Onondaga County because I don’t have a “special reason” to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Our time has (hopefully) come friends…

The U.S. Supreme Court will finally take up a long ignored issue during its next term! Concealed carry and specifically it’s restrictions on New York State residents needing (in most cases) to show proper cause as to why we should be allowed to carry concealed outside of our homes for self defense. Of course we don’t know the outcome of the case but at least they are going to make a decision for once. It can’t get any worse for me at least. I already can’t get my restrictions lifted in Onondaga County because I don’t have a “special reason” to.
Have you used the I'd like to hunt in PA line to get your restrictions removed?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used the I'd like to hunt in PA line to get your restrictions removed?
I haven’t heard of trying that until now. I’d honestly rather not lie or make up a story to get my restrictions lifted. It has been a few years since I have petitioned my judge. I’ve had my permit for about 12 years now. I might just try asking again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I haven’t heard of trying that until now. I’d honestly rather not lie or make up a story to get my restrictions lifted. It has been a few years since I have petitioned my judge. I’ve had my permit for about 12 years now. I might just try asking again.
Well, I didn't lie, and its also worked for half a dozen other who've tried it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I fear that this case may not be "seeing the forest for the trees."
Fact of the matter is a Pistol Lic. can be obtained in NYS to a qualifying individual without them proving special needs.
Many of us have done just that. The problem lies with the individual licensing officers ( usually judges ) that will place administrative restrictions upon your NYS pistol Lic. unless you can articulate a special need or "proper cause". I have even seen words in denial letters that ( paraphrasing ) say " you must prove a need that goes beyond the need of the average citizen in the County". Unfortunately the politically biased Circuit Courts have historically upheld this practice.
Thus opening the door for administrative restrictions through precedent.
I realize this is a narrow or fine point to debate. However, at the SCOTUS level it might be the glitch in the case.
Fact of the matter is, many ( myself included ) were granted a NYS Pistol Lic. without showing a need above and beyond the average, citizen of our Counties. It was not denied. Just so happens that some of us have the administrative restriction placed upon us but we were granted the Lic. I think this case should bring that practice into view when it is argued.
Consider that a person with a normal NYS pistol Lic. can come to the County I live in and carry their pistol concealed in the largest City in the County, go to a restaurant for dinner etc.and I who reside here cannot! Yes, I know that I theoretically cannot be prosecuted under a Penal code that does not exist. However, I do have the dark cloud of Lic. revocation by my Lic. officer if I am caught. Remember, no pistol Lic. = no hand guns AND under the Safe Act say goodbye to your long guns as well!
I believe that there are bordering Counties in PA and NYS that have some sort of agreement to cross issue Licenses to residents of those Counties. I cannot help but wonder if a resident of PA who holds a NYS Lic. because of this arrangement possibly could travel to my County and exercise rights that are denied to me? Think about it! It is crazy!
The judges that place these administrative restrictions on residents of their Counties have no mandate under the NYS law to do so. If it was required by law the Judges who do not place administrative restrictions on Pistol licenses would be violating the law!
It is a personal subjective decision made in arbitrary fashion by the issuing Judge. That is "legislating from the bench" in my opinion. Certainly something that is not supposed to happen.
Rant over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts