New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. Supreme Court Asked to Hear Another Second Amendment Case

Today attorney Tom Odom of Prince Law Offices, P.C., will file with the U.S. Supreme Court a brief on behalf of Firearms Owners Against Crime ("FOAC") and Firearms Industry Consulting Group ("FICG"), in support of the request of Tab Bonidy and the National Association for Gun Rights to review a decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Bonidy is a responsible, law-abiding citizen with a permit to carry a firearm who lives in rural Colorado. Like millions of other Americans, he obtained such a permit so that he might be prepared to defend himself outside of his home. When the U.S. Postal Service advised Bonidy that he would be subject to prosecution simply for momentarily storing his firearm in the trunk of his vehicle in an unsecured parking lot made available for postal patrons, Bonidy sought a determination that applying the postal regulation to him under such circumstances would violate the Second Amendment.
The area where Bonidy lives is sufficiently rural that there is no home delivery of mail, the lobby of the post office is open to the public at all times so that individuals may retrieve mail from their post office boxes, and the post office does not maintain any regular security employees. Nonetheless, the Tenth Circuit stated that both the lobby and the unsecured parking lot where Bonidy proposed to lock the firearm in the trunk of his vehicle constituted "secure places" beyond the scope of the Second Amendment right articulated by the U.S. Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).

U.S. Supreme Court Asked to Hear Another Second Amendment Case | Prince Law Offices, P.C.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Who cares? With the SAFE-type cases not being clarified by SCOTUS soon nobody will be allowed to carry anything anywhere.
I appreciate "Livingston" posting, but yes, I am so sick of these peripheral cases, that yes are important, HOWEVER when being able to buy ammo and and own a gun that is a semiauto is at stake, damn it we have bigger fish to fry.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
SCOTUS will not be hearing any 2nd amendment cases anytime soon. Guns are the single biggest divide in our country's history. The gun isdue affects millions upon millions of Americans on both sides of the issue. No matter their decision, there will be overwhelming outcry. They do not want to open that can of worms. Even though the gun issue will never work its way to an end without them, they want nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Guns are the single biggest divide in our country's history. The gun isdue affects millions upon millions of Americans on both sides of the issue. .
Actually it only really affects millions on one side of the issue. Only one side has something to loose the other has nothing to loose. Of course those of us who know better and don't live in a world with unicorns and pixy dust understand if we loose the 2nd we will loose them all them.

The fact that SCOTUS is not taking 2A cases tells me the swing vote in Heller has now swung the other way. This election and the near future judicial appointments to be made by the victor will be the most important in generations

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
With the way the Supreme court of the land has treated big issues in this country as of late, I have lost faith in fair and balanced litigation. Its no longer about being fair, its all political. Nothing more , nothing less. The way things are going for us, which is completely unfair and unbalanced, I wouldn't be surprised if all firearms were outlawed in another 100 years.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
All Pro2a cases are important, however this is the low hanging fruit, it will not make a difference for 99% of gun owners.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
SCOTUS will not be hearing any 2nd amendment cases anytime soon. Guns are the single biggest divide in our country's history.
I don't think that's actually true outside the media. Guns might be a huge divide as portrayed by the media, but the elections tend to tell a different story. The media loves to create divisive headlines and stoke tensions in the public. Then everyone goes the polling booth and the real story gets told: the vast majority of the public doesn't want more gun control. We're probably going to find out how divided the nation really is on the issue in about 11 months.

If avoiding a can of worms was a big motivator for the supreme court, then I doubt they would have ruled on Obergefell v. Hodges.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All Pro2a cases are important, however this is the low hanging fruit, it will not make a difference for 99% of gun owners.
Given the Prince Law Firm's previous record in obtaining favorable decisions, in multiple cases relating to firearms carry… … Our best and only hopes are for the Court to decline to hear the case.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
With Scalia's passing none of this matters anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
SCOTUS will not be hearing any 2nd amendment cases anytime soon. Guns are the single biggest divide in our country's history. The gun isdue affects millions upon millions of Americans on both sides of the issue. No matter their decision, there will be overwhelming outcry. They do not want to open that can of worms. Even though the gun issue will never work its way to an end without them, they want nothing to do with it.
I think that only applies to certain conservatives on the Court, not the liberals. The liberals had no problem in the 1970s overturning all the abortion laws in the country. Why would they care what conservatives have to say about overturning gun rights? It only seems to be the conservatives who were concerned over "public opinion" (aka the media's view) on the ruling. Justice Roberts showed that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Only if a republican wins the office. Otherwise, you're right, SCOTUS will never rule favorably on a gun case again.
Unless the liberal justices hold on until a conservative is elected President and then one of them croaks and the conservative can appoint conservatives hopefully. For example, Hillary elected for four years and appoints a Democrat (unless Obama gets one appointed) thus making the Court 5-4 liberal, then in 2020, a Republican elected, then say Ginsburg dies and she is replaced by a conservative, and the Court swings back to 5-4 conservative.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Unless the liberal justices hold on until a conservative is elected President and then one of them croaks and the conservative can appoint conservatives hopefully. For example, Hillary elected for four years and appoints a Democrat (unless Obama gets one appointed) thus making the Court 5-4 liberal, then in 2020, a Republican elected, then say Ginsburg dies and she is replaced by a conservative, and the Court swings back to 5-4 conservative.
At the end of the day, I'm saddened by the fact that the court has become so politically motivated - one that legislates from the bench (versus interpreting, defending, and enforcing the constitution AS WRITTEN! If it were interpreted as written, then NO justice, liberal or conservative, could possibly pass/validate any law that infringes on 2A. I simply can't understand how doing otherwise is considered legal (or why people would feel obligated to honor their opinions). Unfortunately, it appears that the founding principles of our country are truly lost forever...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.