New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 U.S. Marshals, NYPD Officer Shot in Gun Battle With Accused Child Molester in Greenwich Village | NBC New York

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 • Updated at 8:11 PM EDT
Two U.S. marshals and an NYPD detective were shot Monday afternoon when a gun battle erupted in a Greenwich Village smokeshop as the officers tried to apprehend an accused child molester, authorities said. The suspect was killed in the shootout.
The officers were shot shortly after 1 p.m. in Smoking Culture, a smokeshop on West Fourth Street, where officers were acting on tip that the fugitive was working there. The NYPD detective entered the store between Jones and Cornelia streets and confirmed that suspect was alone. When the detective returned with U.S. Marshals to make an arrest, the suspect, Charles Mozdir, immediately opened fire with a. 32-caliber revolver.

"Mozdir fired upon the officers are very close range and the officers returned fire," Police Commissioner William Bratton said during an update from Bellevue Hospital.
Chopper 4 Over Greenwich Village Shootout

Chopper 4 was over the Greenwich Village scene after a suspect shot two U.S. marshals and an NYPD officer Monday.
The NYPD detective was shot twice in the stomach below his bulletproof vest. The detective was in critical but stable condition. One marshal was shot in the leg and the other was hit in the elbow, the official said. All of the officers were in good spirits, Bratton said.
Bratton said the vest may have saved the officer's life, preventing a bullet that would have struck his torso.
Bulletproof Vest Saves Officer in Village Shootout

An NYPD officer and two U.S. marshals were taken to Bellevue Hospital for treatment after a shootout in Greenwich Village. Jonathan Vigliotti has the story of how a bulletproof vest saved the life of the New York City officer.
Mozdir is accused in the sexual assault of a child in Coronado, California, near San Diego. The 32-year-old was recently profiled on "The Hunt with John Walsh," an "America's Most Wanted"-type show on CNN.
Mozdir was wanted on a $1 million warrant. He was charged with multiple counts of committing forcible lewd acts on a child and attempting to dissuade a witness. He skipped an April court appearance in California and his car was found in Georgia two months later. The trail went cold after that until officers acted on information that he might be in New York City.
His weapon was recovered at the scene. Mozdir had 20 more rounds in his pockets, police said.

So here we are. Three LEO's shot with a revolver, and the perp had TWENTY EXTRA ROUNDS.
Time to ban AR-15 revolvers!

Does anyone in the media have a clue how hard it is to reload a revolver in a gunfight?

Before anyone starts with their IPSC stuff or whatever, here is my challenge:

With a friend to operate the timer, fire 6 shots from a revolver. Reload and fire six more rounds. Record the time.

Now fire 11 shots from a Glock with a 10 round mag. Reload and fire 10 more. Record the time.

You will find, without any doubt, that the Glock has put 21 rounds into the target while the wheelgun was still being reloaded.

The media SUCKS.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
smokeless is banned in NY city...(joke)...just like there are no illegal handguns because the safe act and buy back programs work so well.

As with all the loe's taking hits....the element of surprise is underestimated some times

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
So here we are. Three LEO's shot with a revolver, and the perp had TWENTY EXTRA ROUNDS.
Time to ban AR-15 revolvers!

Nope... Time to ban pockets that can hold over 7 rounds.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
SENSATIONALISM
noun
noun: sensationalism

(especially in journalism) the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement.
"media sensationalism"

Reporters these days have little to no clue how to write a story and engage the reader; if they do not sensationalize a story with really important words, and really hyped up phrases, who would read the story?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of this " sensational story " . I know how hard it is to reload revolvers under fire but he just was a real mainiac concerning the reloading . WOW he sure was fast compared to the PD . These stories always amaze me just how little the MSM really knows about anything . It's kinda like the " shoulder thingy that goes up " statement by our so called smart legislators . Yep I'm impressed

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it wasn't, I'm not that much of a wit.

I'm just somewhat amazed that the tactical bunch gets clobbered so badly by some random pervert. Did he even have smokeless ammo in his .32?
He probably did not have a history of violence towards LEO.
When you apprehend someone at gunpoint, the cell phone cameras work overtime.
It is hard to know how to approach some situations.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what to make of this " sensational story " . I know how hard it is to reload revolvers under fire but he just was a real mainiac concerning the reloading . WOW he sure was fast compared to the PD . These stories always amaze me just how little the MSM really knows about anything . It's kinda like the " shoulder thingy that goes up " statement by our so called smart legislators . Yep I'm impressed
My POINT was that he could have had 200 rounds in his pocket.
Revolvers reload at the speed of draino.
There is NO point to even mentioning that he had 20 rounds, except to incite the liberal idiots.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But more importantly, he did not have an AR-15 or a semi auto or even a large caliber, and he still managed to shoot three cops.

It is NOT the gun, it is the shooter.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
But more importantly, he did not have an AR-15 or a semi auto or even a large caliber, and he still managed to shoot three cops.

It is NOT the gun, it is the shooter.
i understood that , I was just having some fun over the sensationalizing the story ! Plus the admission of the PD that one was " shot in the balls " even with a vest on was funny !

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
the media only knows of three types of guns
AK-47s
AR-15s
Glocks
the top two can be classified as military hardware on the streets and the bottom one is the the invisable gun capable of eluding detection at government buildings and shooting holes in planes.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Plenty of fast people with a gun out there, you won't know who they are until you challenge them. It is not how fast you can shoot unless you are supressing the enemy, it is all about who can put the rounds on target first.

I don't need to be able to fire 16 shots faster than anyone, I only need to be able to hit them in the brainstem once before they can hit me.

For the record, with all the people owning and wearing body armor or on some kind of drugs now a days I consider any bodyshots be a warning shots, there are typically 4 places that body armor does not cover. The legs, Face, Neck and Arms. The only time I will aim for the torso is when I am using a .30 caliber or larger rifle.

The Miami shootout proved a few things. Drugs can make even dead people still a threat. Dody shots don't always stop the threat. Then there is the 9mm thing.

Two things you can do to increase your odds against a drug crazed shooter or a shooter wearing body armor.
A shot to the hips will imobilize or slow the advance of the threat significantly until it can be ended. A shot to the brainstem ends the threat.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plenty of fast people with a gun out there, you won't know who they are until you challenge them. It is not how fast you can shoot unless you are supressing the enemy, it is all about who can put the rounds on target first.

I don't need to be able to fire 16 shots faster than anyone, I only need to be able to hit them in the brainstem once before they can hit me.

For the record, with all the people owning and wearing body armor or on some kind of drugs now a days I consider any bodyshots be a warning shots, there are typically 4 places that body armor does not cover. The legs, Face, Neck and Arms. The only time I will aim for the torso is when I am using a .30 caliber or larger rifle.

The Miami shootout proved a few things. Drugs can make even dead people still a threat. Dody shots don't always stop the threat. Then there is the 9mm thing.

Two things you can do to increase your odds against a drug crazed shooter or a shooter wearing body armor.
A shot to the hips will imobilize or slow the advance of the threat significantly until it can be ended. A shot to the brainstem ends the threat.
So basically under the stress of a gunfight you are going to shoot the gun out of his unarmoured hand.

Go back to your video games.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
dupe

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I don't believe I mentioned shooting the hands or even mentioned hands in the post. Thanks for proving not all intenet bullies can read. Don't play video games don't even own a console, but then again I am not into slinging 16 rounds as fast as I can into an unknown threat in the middle of someplace that may not have and adequate backstop to look like billy bad ass, thanks for playing though. Your internet badass and keyboard commando, NSA guy, internet know it all " law man" is showing through.

I knew there was a reason I had you on my ignore list, thanks for reminding me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts