New York Firearms Forum banner

Two guns found inside car at a Wayne County high school

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  nessman 
#1 ·
Two guns found inside car at a Wayne County high school | www.WHEC.com

Sheriff's Deputies say they found two guns inside a car at a Wayne County high school.

Eighteen-year-old Zachary Decker of Ontario is charged with possession of a weapon.

Deputies say they found a shotgun and rifle in Decker's car which was parked outside of Wayne Central High School.

He was released on an appearance ticket.

#4 ·
Actually I think the people of Wayne County are wondering why this is a big deal.

My classmates had guns in their vehicles all through hunting season in high school. And when we had archery in gym, I was allowed to ride on the bus with my bow and a quiver full of arrows. The principal just made me walk the bow to his office for storage while I was in my other classes. But I was allowed to walk unattended from his office to the gym and back with it. Nobody questioned the pocket knife clipped on my pocket every day either.

This wasn't in the 70's either, it was in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

#6 ·
Lesson, never tell anyone that you have your guns in your vehicle. Glad he only got a ticket instead of going to jail, hope he can get it dropped.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Yea that kid is actually me i was in a recent move and totally forgot they were in there even the sheriff said i wasnt a threat but they arrested me and took my guns i feel bare without them it was a .22 and a 12 gauge shotgun and you could tell i was moving i had all of my hunting stuff in my trunk locked up so no one could have gotten to them they were searching for drugs saw ammo searched car and found guns

#15 ·
I don't have all the facts but this seems like it might be a good opportunity for a judge to use some common sense and dismiss.

#18 ·
I must be the only person in Wayne County that has a problem with guns on school property. I am not saying lock this kid up or ruin his life, but I have to say a slap on the wrist might be in order. The gun owner MIGHT not go bonkers and try to wipe out the senior class with those guns, but what about another student that knows the guns are n the car??? Many gun laws might be UNlawful, but till changed they are laws to be obeyed. So many people think if THEY do not like the law, they do have to obey it. This is not the case here clearly, but ...........!!!

#23 ·
Well for all you Perry Mason want to bes you are forgetting one thing about the search....it is on SCHOOL PROPERTY!!!! It is a privilege to have a car in the school parking lot not a right, and you know the rules prior to parking there. Also I did read the post by the kid who BROKE THE LAW!!! I did not say he should go to jail and I did agree he should not be given a criminal record. The problem for so many I HAVE THE FUC_ING RIGHT to do anything because of the 2nd amendment gives me the right to, is so many that think that way lose all common sense when it comes to firearms. And yes I did read they were locked in the trunk...oh right no one has ever had their car broken into on school property, or told a friend that you thought was not heard by anyone else. I believe in the right to bear arms and i believe in the overall rights afforded to me by the constitution. I guess the laws about keeping guns away from kids in the house are BS too, because you have the RIGHT to have a gun, so you can do anythig ,put it anywhere and endanger anyone because you have the right!!! The right to own a gun does not give you the right to be stupid with guns or break laws. Some laws are stupid but help CHANGE them if they are. The worst thing a gun owner can do for all of us is to ignore laws and be just lack any common sense concerning them. You think that is a good attitude, tell me what good Ted Nugent has done for us with his rant and idiotic raves.......but then again I guess a lot of you like his rants and raves because it is his right!!!

#24 ·
Rochram... this argument isn't so much a 2nd Amendment one. It's about stupid gun control laws. OK - guns in schools are a no-no... got it. To a degree it makes sense (until a gunman walks in and start firing). But look how ridiculous this law is, and Mr. Decker's situation. Look at this picture... I'm picking on my alma mater North Babylon High School on Long Island... I think this explains my point quite nicely. For this experiment, assume both circled cars have a garden variety .22 rifle you'd find at a Boy Scout camp locked in the trunk. A car with a rifle in the trunk parked across the street on a public road doesn't violate NY PL 265.01. A car parked just inside the school's property line in the parking lot does.

And yes, my senior year during a basketball game, there was a shooting in the student parking lot (someone from the neighboring town had a beef with someone else and shot him with a shotgun (survived)) so we have some personal perspective here. To the bad guy - the law means nothing, and Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold illustrated that point quite nicely in 1999, as well as Mr. Shotgun Shooter from Wyandanch did one night in 1989.

Land lot Urban design Font Wall Adaptation

#25 ·
rocham - i think you are going a lil bit overboard here... The kid said he was in the middle of moving and just forgot. That said, he also said they were locked up and not in an easily seen/get to place, and forgot. Pretty sure we can chalk that up to a mistake, lesson learned

#26 · (Edited)
Looking at the picture you have to consider this too ....criminal- on school property....
not a criminal- not on school property that is also a difference.
I understand and I agree there are some really stupid gun laws, but we have to elect people to change these and use common sense when dealing with gun laws. Defying and ignoring gun laws are not the ways to change them. If.....just if someone broke into that car, took the guns and walked into the school shooting can you see the news headlines!!!!! No guns in the trunk= no chance of that happening...very simple way of eliminating the possibility of innocent young lives lost and more fodder to make even more laws that restrict law abiding gun owners. No guns in post office PARKING LOTS, no guns in state parks, no guns on the Canal trail, each county having different rules for permits,having to have permits....all laws that just make no sense, but ARE LAWS just the same. I am a gun owner, a gun right believer, a parent , grand parent and a great grand parent. My wanting to make school property as safe for young people as possible overrides my rights as a gun owner. I am going overboard? NO I am not..I understand, i can read and I can see why the young man had the guns in the trunk. NOT the issue here.....You go to NYC forget you have your gun on and get stopped. "OH I forgot will get you no where" You go for a drive, pull in a state park for a few minutes of relaxation, get out and your shirt flies up revealing your pistol to a ranger..."Whoops I forgot" will not make it. RESPONSIBILITY...that is what you have with a gun ON you or IN your vehicle. Give the kid a break YESSSSSSSSSSSSS for Christs sake i have said that more than once. To ignore this and chalk it up to "Should be OK in Wayne Co" is crap logic. My last post on this because if you have not seen the common sense in my original post, it will serve no futher purpose in me trying to get thru to any of you that sit there and yell....HELL YEAH.... bring a gun for show and tell to your local school"

#27 ·
If you think some "no guns allowed here" law is going to stop someone from obtaining a gun, walking into said place where guns are a no-no, and start shooting when they have the intent to do so in the first place - then you're living in a fantasy world. Laws don't apply to bad guys who are intent on doing bad things. All we can do is clean up the mess and hope the joke that is our criminal justice system will do it's job.

Arresting some kid who forgot to remove his weapons from the trunk of his car serves no purpose other than to harass otherwise law abiding gun owners. And as I've said before - the kid forgot, so by definition, he's not culpable. It's just another knee-jerk reaction to someone ruining it for the rest of us.

2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to conduct or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is aware that his conduct is of such nature or that such circumstance exists.

He didn't pack his guns in his car knowing he was about to go to school. Sounds like he left them there over the weekend or something and in the process of moving, just forgot them. It happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.