New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I will admit it up front...I don't know dick about AR15 style firearms. So, cut ma a little slack if I'm an idiot...I already know that.

So, bearing in mind the plight of all you gun owners out there who are getting worked over by the Vampire State I have a couple ideas to float:

First, to "permanently" attach a magazine, would it work to drill a small hole into the bottom of the slot where the bolt catch sits, down into the passage for the magazine catch and then into the magazine release button; then thread in a set screw and fill the hole with JP Weld or something like? Result - fixed magazine that is permanent and requires tools to undo. I would not be impossible to undo, but having to remove the bolt catch makes it a bit harder to do. The upside, as I see it, your gun looks normal when completed, the magazine release is held mechanically in place and can't function, and requires "tools" and "machine work" to undo.

Second idea: Would it count to make your AR single shot by removing the return spring and putting a new spring under the catch so it engaged on every shot? To fire you would have to smack the bolt release to load a round. Sure, it would not longer be "semi" auto, but, in the Vampire State you are only talking about 7 rounds anyway. I'm not thinking about this for anyone with a gun for defense - but maybe for a range/target gun that doesn't have to fire real fast. Then again, from the rifles I've seen it looks like you could easily hit the bolt release with your thumb and never miss a beat. I guess you'd have to epoxy the roll pin in place, or something along those lines.

Anyway, just a couple ideas to toss around.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Okay, I cut you some slack. :)

I'm just kidding. I think you can do either of those, but they're rather impractical when it's a lot less work to install the MR2 or a different stock.

· Registered
136 Posts
For your first suggestion, the Prince magazine lock takes a similar approach.

Same end result and a similar amount of work, but drills the easily replaceable release button rather than the lower.

For the 2nd suggestion, the only issue that I see (and has been raised whenever this comes up) is that you could simply hold the bolt catch down and it would return to semi auto operation. Not sure that would fly. In the UK there is a similar device that has a sear so it requires the lever to be manipulated every time and holding it down will not result in semi auto operation. Significantly more complicated though.

Regarding permanence, you should read the law and make your own decision, but permanent doesn't appear there in regards to these items.

· Registered
2,966 Posts
I just don't understand how the MR2 complies with the "ability to accept a detachable magazine". The magazine still is detachable.
It is not detachable while the weapon is assembled. If it was illegal with an MR2 every single semi rifle with a fixed magazine as well as an SKS would be illegal. Therefore since the SKS is deemed legal we have precedence.

· Registered
384 Posts
not detachable if you put in the magazine, install the mag catch put the washer in and then the hex screw.... you now have to pull the pin and open the upper to reload from the top.... some of the earlier kits did not include the washer....but a call or e-mail and they will send out the washer asap...

· Registered
769 Posts
You second idea is not workable for one reason - there is nothing to stop you from holding the bolt release down (or taping it or wedging a toothpick in it, etc.) and having semi-auto function. You need a mechanism that won't allow the carrier to come forward without specific intervention from you and that also resets only with intervention from you.

I think meketrefe is working on a lever release design but I don't know what his intentions for it are. I brought your #2 solution to him this past spring and he pointed out the above.

ETA: Guess I should've read mchasal's post... :)

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for this. Yes, very similar to what I was thinking. The differences, which may or may not matter are that, "my" way, you can only release the locking action from inside the gun, which may give it more weight with the powers that be. Also, what I'm proposing can be set up ahead of time and used or not, doesn't matter. Conversely, if the locking screw is removed, your original setup still works.

(A disclaimer - I was looking at a polymer lower when the idea struck me. So, it didn't seem very difficult to do.)

Thanks for the feedback.

· Registered
89 Posts
The reasoning for owning an AR15 or other so called evil rifles varies from person to person but for most part it revolves around the big 3, home defense, shooting and hunting. While the MR-2 looks promising I am afraid the powers that be at the NYSP and beyond will view it unfavorably.

In speaking with several people who own AR's for hunting purposes they have come to the realization that having a pinned magazine is their best way to avoid registration. They are limited to 5 rounds already while hunting, most have never had to quickly switch out mags while hunting, not even while yote hunting. This will allow them to still enjoy the ergonomics and modular nature of the AR, the rails etc. A quick reload will be as simple and I use that term loosely as opening the halves and using a stripper clip to drive in 5 rounds and close her up.

They hope for a postive ruling on the MR-2 and are not giving in just yet but for their use they feel it makes sense.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
I just don't understand how the MR2 complies with the "ability to accept a detachable magazine". The magazine still is detachable.
so is a magazine that requires tools to remove. they are all detachable as they must be for service.

and the magazine is not detachable while the gun is assembled. its that simple.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I gave it a try today. I added a hidden hole to the lower and filed a little flat into the release button that can't be seen at all while it is installed. Threaded a set screw in and the mag catch was totally immobilized. The set screw didn't interfere with the bolt catch al all either. Took about ten minutes to do. So, now if needed I have an aesthetically pleasing and effective way to lock the magazine into the lower. Hopefully it won't be needed, but, just another option.

· Registered
145 Posts
not detachable if you put in the magazine, install the mag catch put the washer in and then the hex screw.... you now have to pull the pin and open the upper to reload from the top.... some of the earlier kits did not include the washer....but a call or e-mail and they will send out the washer asap...
All kits shipped had the block washer in the package, but that part is small enough that it worked itself out. Lesson learned, all orders now have the block washer taped down next to the illustrated parts breakdown on the inside.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I gave it a try today. I added a hidden hole to the lower and filed a little flat into the release button that can't be seen at all while it is installed. Threaded a set screw in and the mag catch was totally immobilized. The set screw didn't interfere with the bolt catch al all either. Took about ten minutes to do. So, now if needed I have an aesthetically pleasing and effective way to lock the magazine into the lower. Hopefully it won't be needed, but, just another option.
Okay, just one more note: I realized that by adjusting the mag catch just one turn out, the set screw slips right behind the button, locking it solidly in place without having to drill into the release button at all. I would think that with this set up and either some epoxy to fill in the set screw or removing the facets in the screw ala MR2 instructions, this would be a decent alternative. No changes to the exterior of the gun, a solid lock up of the magazine that is all internal and it's easy to do.

Anyway, that's all I have to add.

Good luck and merry christmas!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.