New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how turkey hunting with a bow works. I saw an awesome picture of a Ninja, Spiker, on another thread with a bow taken turkey. When using an arrow does one just fire center mass? Base of neck? I never considered using a bow due to my absolute inability to use one. The crossbow, however, is my goto groundhog slayer. It is sick accurate with the red-dot.
Erinaceidae Grass Rodent Squirrel Fawn

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shoot the wing butt and score a 10 ! My favorite shot in the spring is when the bird displays (fans his tail feathers) facing away shoot his butt ! In the 1st case
you break wings and hit vitals ,lungs/heart area and the second center shoot the butt and the arrow will end up in the same lung/heart vitals/dead bird either way !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Base of the wing. Look up the vitals. You will be able to retain meat and do mass damage, also sometimes pinning the wings....They do sell broadheads made to shoot the neck and decapitate the bird. I have never tried them so I can't say personal experience for them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't know about shooting them with a crossbow (never had one) but I use a regular old field point with a Zwickey arrow stopper. My arrow pins one wing to the bird and the shock of the thing knocks it for a loop. The trick is not to allow the arrow to pass completely through it. Usually my arrow pins both wings. My bow is a Black Hawk Short Bee 47#

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I personally save old mechanicals I have shot deer with. I will touch the blades up and keep one in the quiver for a wondering fall turkey.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My concern is that the bolts I hit ground hogs with normally just blow straight through, with the exception of the skull which traps it. I use field points on them as it drops them dead. I will look up turkey anatomy as you suggest and hit up some targets. As far as decapitating them... that's some hardcore stuff.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I was wondering how turkey hunting with a bow works. I saw an awesome picture of a Ninja, Spiker, on another thread with a bow taken turkey. When using an arrow does one just fire center mass? Base of neck? I never considered using a bow due to my absolute inability to use one. The crossbow, however, is my goto groundhog slayer. It is sick accurate with the red-dot.
View attachment 35106
If Carl Spackler had a crossbow, one of the funniest movies ever made wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The broadhead that I remember off the top of my head for decapitating I think was called the gobbler guillotine. I think Magnus makes something similar I just don't remember it's name..... Pass through on a turkey with a broadhead through vitals does significant damage quick. I wouldn't do field points just a personal preference.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We use our normal rage expandables that we deer hunt with. We are also using regular compound bows, not crossbows. We always have pass through's on turkeys. It's a SMALL area you need to hit. They need to be standing 90* away from you ideally and we usually aim for the top of the legs. They can't take off flying without the use of their legs to get them going. You're definitely going to want to be in a blind as well.

Here's a hunt my father did a few years back for turkey with his bow.

Shot is around the 1:44 mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very helpful. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts