New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching reflex sights for pistol or shotgun they mention the size of the dot seen through the window. Sample images are given showing the dot superimposed over a silhouette of a head & upper torso. My question is at what distance is the silhouette, 25, 50, 100 feet? I'm trying to figure what size dot I prefer. Thanks.

Product Fluid Font Line Circle

· Registered
687 Posts
well MOA is basically in inches at 100 yards. so the dot of 8 MOA is 8" at 100 yards. If I put a tape measure across my chest and stood at 100 yards it would look like an 8" circle on target at 100 yards. since the dot is the same size at all distances ..... so if I walked in to 50 yards the dot would cover 4" on the tape on my chest. If I walked into 25 yards it would cover 2" on my chest.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Yep. The dot sizes are given in MOA. That is how big the dot will appear, in inches, at 100 yards. Typically for more pinpoint accuracy, you want a smaller dot because, if you have a 1 MOA dot or an 8 MOA dot, and you are shooting at 100 yards, which will be easier to tell exactly where the shot will go? The disadvantage being the dot may be harder to see if it's smaller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.