New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used a Trigger Pull Gauge and how accurate are they and are they worth spending the money on one even if you only use it a couple times to check the weight pull on your trigger?.

I have been thinking of getting one to just have it when I need one, so I have been checking out the prices on them and they range between $20 all the way to $70 for a digital one..

So can anyone tell me would the $20 one vs the $70 digital be just as good with out spending the big dollars on the Digital one or would you say there just not worth having if your only going to use it a couple times?..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good questions, I've been thinking about the purchase as well. Interested in what others have to say...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Its neat to have, especially if you do your own trigger work.

I couldn't make myself spend $40 -$75 for a trigger gauge, so I got a cheap digital fishing/luggage scale from ebay (about $8) that reads to the fraction of an ounce and use that. Its accurate enough for my needs.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
has anyone compared a fishing scale and trigger pull gauge to see if they are in the same ball park?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a Lyman digital trigger pull guage...works pretty decently....I use it to test my after market triggers on my AR's...target Pistols and other guns...I don't know how accurate it is...seems to be pretty close as best I can tell

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Lyman digital trigger pull guage...works pretty decently....I use it to test my after market triggers on my AR's...target Pistols and other guns...I don't know how accurate it is...seems to be pretty close as best I can tell
Thanks,I would like to see a comparison in the digital vs the non digital ones just to see if there is any real difference if any at all except the price of the 2..

·
Registered
703 Posts
The biggest thing I found was the weights are way higher than what you would think...My LWRC stock was at 9 pounds!! I replaced it with a SSA-E and it was down to 4.5!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
digital are easier to read and a little more precise. Not enough to justify $50 IMO.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
For a one time deal you can use a scale or an improvised one. They are not as accurate but they are pretty close.
You cannot use a very sensitive small reloading scale but some postal scale might work. Or you can use a spring, a plank and some
hard 1/8 inch rod and improvise one. All you need is a scale escribed outside a tube and then a hook.
Or see if you can borrow one for a one time deal.

...I mean I don't think one of those $20 ones are going to be more accurate than anything else you can do.

Alternative nr. 1.

With the firearm empty.
For the scale trick simply tie a string to the trigger and to a large bottle of soda. Just make sure there is no drag
and is hanging free. In the basement I have a exercise bar that is perfect where I can tie up the rifle with a bungee
cord. Might need to cant the firearm 2-3 degree to one side to let the string clear the trigger guard.
Then add water slowly until it breaks. Then weight the bottle and the string in the scale. That should be pretty close.
This is very simple.

Alternative nr 2.

Get a 2 dollar 10-15lb spring at the ace store. With two small tubes build a housing one fits into another w/o friction and with both ends
you have a hook. ...you know like those we built as kids for school projects. Then from there weight things into a scale of 1lb, 2lb, etc.. and
then estimate the rest and mark and subdifvide the scale In quarters or eights of the unified unit in pounds. now what you have to do is to start pulling from the trigger until it breaks make sure you do this several times and take note where it breaks. This you can use as an improvise
scale for other thigns for coarse type of measure.
With the firearm empty like always.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts