New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved to Albany last year from Schoharie (where I had 40 acres to shoot on) and STILL cannot find a club taking new members without a very long, drawn out process. I plan on moving next year so I really just need a place to practice with the couple guns I have.

I live about 45 minutes away from Tribes Hill, but I've heard you can just sign up and it's $20 a year...don't need a sponsor or anything. Is that true? Where do you sign up? How is the range?

Thanks!

I don't shoot a ton...just want a place to get familiar with new guns.
If anyone knows of any other similar places closer to Albany that would be great too!

· Registered
607 Posts
It's true. Sign up at the Tribe's Hill Deli, $20 per year. There have been some vandalizing issues over the past few months, people shooting out posts, property and virtually anything they could drag in to demolish. If you are a mature, respectable type, everything will be fine. Down side, maximum range is about 70 yards.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Me and Verdreaux are the 2 I know on this board that use it. In fact I was was just there a few hours ago. It is $20 a year, you buy the passes at 338 Mohawk Dr Tribes Hill, NY12177 , the Tribes Hill deli. It is right across the way (one road over) from the actual range. The "process" is a single index card to fill out with your name, address, etc. and you walk out with a pass, the rule packet, a member button, and that's it. If it took 5 minutes that would be the longest I have seen. It isn't a manned range (though the Range officer Mark is often swinging by), so you basically have a long table and contiguous bench about 30ft or so long and a separate pistol bunker. There are no lanes or anything (you walk your targets downrange), just a bench (and bunker) and a field. There are target uprights at 25, 50, and 60 yards and the pistol bunker is at ~20 yards. Often it is empty and you have it to yourself, but sometimes you see a few others in there. It is rarely packed. I believe in total there are about 700 members. The most I have seen there at once is 10 perhaps.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Stillwater Rod and Gun Club, Inc is about 40 minutes from Albany, 3 benches to shoot from, no frills but no bs either. Targets at 38 60 105 and 200 yards I believe. Send a check for 52 dollars (2 is for the key) to the address listed and you get a key and a members card in the mail in about two weeks.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stillwater Rod and Gun Club, Inc is about 40 minutes from Albany, 3 benches to shoot from, no frills but no bs either. Targets at 38 60 105 and 200 yards I believe. Send a check for 52 dollars (2 is for the key) to the address listed and you get a key and a members card in the mail in about two weeks.
And that is it? You don't need a sponsor, or anything like that?
Thanks guys!

I'm not trying to sound sketchy finding a no-strings attached place to shoot. I would like to be an active member of a club, I'm just not going to be in NY for very long and I just want a little experience with a few new guns

· Registered
75 Posts
Stillwater is a great little range. Everyone I've met there is friendly and you often have the place to yourself. They're pretty easygoing up there too, as long you respect others, the range, clean up after yourself, use common sense and follow basic firearm safety practices. You can also join by coming to the meeting. I believe the next one is next Tuesday night at 7:30.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
There is a space for a sponsor on the application but I emailed the guy in charge and he said leave it blank if you don't have one, no problem. Yes, it really is that simple. I was amazed considering what some other clubs put you through.

· Registered
262 Posts
Me and Verdreaux are the 2 I know on this board that use it. In fact I was was just there a few hours ago. It is $20 a year, you buy the passes at 338 Mohawk Dr Tribes Hill, NY12177 , the Tribes Hill deli. It is right across the way (one road over) from the actual range. The "process" is a single index card to fill out with your name, address, etc. and you walk out with a pass, the rule packet, a member button, and that's it. If it took 5 minutes that would be the longest I have seen. It isn't a manned range (though the Range officer Mark is often swinging by), so you basically have a long table and contiguous bench about 30ft or so long and a separate pistol bunker. There are no lanes or anything (you walk your targets downrange), just a bench (and bunker) and a field. There are target uprights at 25, 50, and 60 yards and the pistol bunker is at ~20 yards. Often it is empty and you have it to yourself, but sometimes you see a few others in there. It is rarely packed. I believe in total there are about 700 members. The most I have seen there at once is 10 perhaps.
That's good to know because I don't have anywhere to practice. Today is Labor Day and I'm wondering if the deli is open, I want to go up today.

· Registered
262 Posts
Well that was good to know, I found the deli paid my $20 the guy there did'nt know the gate combo so I went there anyhow luckily there were some people there. Not much to look at but for 20 beans I can't complain a bit.

· Registered
252 Posts
Me and Verdreaux are the 2 I know on this board that use it.
I'm there frequently too. The deli has been out of membership cards lately I guess, you can also call Mark (the range master) and he can help you out... he lives <1mile from the range.

Apparently they're going to be re-doing the range... flipping it 90degrees, increasing to 100yards, and adding some sort of clubhouse.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Anyone know if you can shoot steel targets at either Tribes Hill or Stillwater. It appears not many clubs allow it around here.
Sorry I just saw this. You can shoot what you bring to the range. They just don't want you leaving crap around. (Empty cans, bottles, etc.)

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a membership to Stillwater and checked it out last week. Humble range, but what I need.
Just curious, there are no lanes or anything...just a field. If someone else is there shooting do you just have to wait til theyre done?
Thanks

· Registered
2,222 Posts
I got a membership to Stillwater and checked it out last week. Humble range, but what I need.
Just curious, there are no lanes or anything...just a field. If someone else is there shooting do you just have to wait til theyre done?
Thanks
Well you certainly dont want to walk out while they're shooting :) Most ranges without lanes just have a type of honor system. Wait for someone to finish their current string of shooting, ask if you can walk out to set up a target, let them make the gun safe and then go setup.

They'll usually use this time to replace their target or put a new one out, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.