New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to New Orleans. I traveled with my gun for the first time. I went to the airport a couple days ahead of time to ask what I should to make the checking in process go smoother. I spoke with a supervisor from the TSA, and he gave excellent advice. Went to the airline counter, and asked about their policies. The woman behind the desk had no idea what to do. She looked on the computer, called a friend, polled the audience, couldn't really figure it out.

I ended up locking my field stripped glock into a gunvault combination lock inside my hard side suitcase. I used the cable of the gunvault to lock the it directly into the suitcase itself. I stuffed a box of ammo into a boot inside my suitcase, and filled the rest of the suitcase with other things the TSA does not allow in checked baggage, including the wife's can of hairspray.

Wondering exactly what I would face at the airport, I arrived 2 hours early for my 7:30am flight. I went to the desk to check my bag. I declare that my checked bag has a firearm in it. The lady behind the desk shouts to her co-worker "How do you check a gun here?" Great! After some discussion they ask if it was unloaded, locked and if I was carrying ammo. I answered yes to all. They asked if the ammo was with the gun, I said no. I filled out the orange firearm card and placed it on top of the gunvault. They took the bag and I was good to go. Got the bag when I arrived with no issues.

I carried most of the time while I was down there, except when I was on Bourbon St. This was the first time that I have carried every day for an extended period of time, since my job does not allow it. It felt very comfortable by the second day. Major +1 for the Durbin DJ2 Holster. It helped conceal my G19 under an UnderArmour Polo shirt better than the mag carrier I was wearing.

Speaking of Bourbon Street, I saw some "ladies" carrying something concealed, but I don't think it was a firearm.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
oh they were definitely penis's! LOL

My experience of Bourbon St is this (now mind you I was there in Oct 2005, homecoming weekend for LSU football) -- there is NOTHING down there for anyone except opportunity for all kinds of crime. Gangs, assaults, robberies, rape, etc...

I walked down Bourbon St with my hands in fists, ready to fight. A majority of the men (race unimportant) were grabbin asses & breasts of chicks that walked by, one guy got pick-pocketed right in front of me (friend that was with me told the dude, dude took off after the guy, no idea what happened)... Not to mention the drunk idiots

Has anything changed in 6 years? LOL

I have a wedding down there in October -- what are LA's (New Orleans specifically) CCW laws? Do they even have any? Reciprocity for NYS CCW holders, or do I need to get my Utah/Fl permit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not reciprocity with NY, so you'll need to get an out of state permit. As far as carry laws go, they are very strict on carrying and alcohol. I think the limit is a BAC of .03 or something like that. (The NY driving limit is .08) So if you are carrying on Bourbon St, don't inhale. Also, any place that serves alcohol is off limits. Even restaurants. I've read conflicting things opinions about this. Some say your OK as long as you don't go into the bar area, others say everything is off limits. I just kept out as much as possible. All that being said, the laws are not very tricky. Cary is OK pretty much anywhere as long as there is not alcohol around.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Next time you travel, I would print out the airline's specific policy for checking firearms and just hand it to them when you check-in. That way they don't start running around asking everyone what to do. No point in letting everyone standing around you know you have a gun in your luggage.

Last time I flew with Southwest out of Buffalo, it was very discreet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts