New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

First off I just want to say that I hate my first post on a forum to start out with a question, but Im kind of time limited so here goes. I will be driving to NY from FL in a couple days and I wanted to bring a couple toys with me to play around with on my Dads farm Upstate. I realize that I cannot legally bring a handgun into the State of NY without having a NY permit, but I hate driving all that way and not being armed. I am a CCW permit holder in the state of FL. The states in the route I will be taking will all reciprocate with my permit, until I reach NY.. Can anyone recommend what I can do with this gun when I reach the NY border?? Ive also read that if you are just "passing through" NY to a more gun friendly state, say VT, that it is legal to possess as long as you dont stay overnight or whatever. IS that true?

On another note, I wanted to bring my AR15 as well.. I understand that 30 round mags are illegal in NY, as well as collapsible stocks and pistol grips. I was thinking of pinning my stock, but there is nothing I can do about the grip. Would they bust my balls that bad and should I leave everything at home?? Man I hate NY gun laws, dont miss them a bit.

Thank you so much for the help in advance :cool:

·
Banned
51 Posts
u can absolutly have no hand gun here if u dont have nys permit i feel ur pain bro but im from fl and have house their and am in ny alot of the year as well it sux but trust me ur best bet b4 ny boarder and def not jersey find a ffl dealer and have them hold onto it for u so u can pick it up on way back ull prob have to pay a storage fee

·
Banned
51 Posts
as for the ar15 u can have pistol grip thats fine just no more than a 10 rd mag and stock has to b pinned b carefull u dont have a flash supressor as well a compensator or break is fine tho

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
u can absolutly have no hand gun here if u dont have nys permit i feel ur pain bro but im from fl and have house their and am in ny alot of the year as well it sux but trust me ur best bet b4 ny boarder and def not jersey find a ffl dealer and have them hold onto it for u so u can pick it up on way back ull prob have to pay a storage fee
Problem with that is the NICS check and their love of delays.

·
Banned
51 Posts
im not even going to go into preeban mags but if u have them that would b fine for ny as well i rly wouldnt bring ur hand gun here tho go forbid u get pulled over with it or cought its a long time in jail

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You can pass through NY with a handgun not on your permit under the interstate transportation of firearms law.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Lying and saying you are going to vermont if you aren't is stupid and illegal. You're risking a felony and posting about illegal activities on this forum which is against the rules.

If your AR is illegal either make it fully compliant or leave it at home. Compliant means pinned stock, no flash hider, brake pinned on and welded, bayonet lug gone.

If you feel naked look into a knife, pepper spray or other non-lethal alternatives.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
First: You are wrong

Second: Slow down and fix your grammar and punctuation so our heads don't hurt when trying to read your posts. Spell out your words. sux and b4 are not words.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Non-resident travel through N.Y.Traveling through New York State while possessing any handgun, for any purpose, without a New York State pistol license, is legally risky.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] New York State law does include a very limited exception for passing through the state for target competition purposes, "by a person who is a member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team" and "while attending or traveling to or from, an organized competitive pistol match or league competition under auspices of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a competitor, within 48 hours of such event or by a person who is a non-resident of the state while attending or traveling to or from an organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association and in which he is a competitor, within 48 hours of such event

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Non-resident travel through N.Y.Traveling through New York State while possessing any handgun, for any purpose, without a New York State pistol license, is legally risky.
If you are passing through and not stopping, you are covered under the federal law (competition or not). Saying that, I would still steer clear of NYC and the immediate area. They have been known to give people a lot of hassle.

On that note, you're not passing through the state. I would suggest leaving your firearms at home. It really isn't worth the possible trouble. Unfortunately, that is probably the best thing to do.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Criminal possession requires the gun to be operable and capable of being fired. So technically, before crossing into NY, you could break the pistol down and hide the firing pin or some other crucial part at a rest area (for retrieval on the way back) in PA or VT. If found with this neutered pistol, you would still likely get arrested, but you would ultimately not get convicted.

Even though this option is great for legal discussion, I personally don't recommend anyone actually doing it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Criminal possession requires the gun to be operable and capable of being fired.
Source? I remember hearing that before also but don't recall where. I think it was a court case but it was under NYC laws?

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
If you have to make it unfireable, why even bother? It seems like you are asking for a legal hassle, and getting nothing in return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts