New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'm traveling from Saratoga to Syracuse, and back. I'm going to have some free time during my drive back on Saturday, so I thought I'd check to see if there are any good gun shops to stop and visit on the way. Preferably something just off of or near the thruway if possible, I'm not looking to take lengthy side trips, especially if more than one sound appealing.

Your recommendations?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Frank's in Gloversville isn't too far from Saratoga.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lock Stock & BBL on rt. 10 north just north of the Canajoharie exit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Butternut Sports right in Syracuse, has an immense collection of firearms. However his prices have been increasing as of late.

Rainbow and Rainbow Guns no more than 5 miles off the exit in Chittenango. Very small shop, most of his prices are extremely reasonable. A few years back I got a stainless 10-22 brand new for $175 out door.

Franks in Canastota is a good one as well, and not more than 10 miles from there is Creek Road Guns and ammo, another great place if your looking to score a deal.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
If you're going to Bass Pro Shops in Auburn, check out Tims Guns in Elbridge...also on Rt 5.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you call Butternut ahead of time he will send his grandson in to meet you on saturdays by appointment. I should have thought to mention that in my first post. Would have had to have called yesterday.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Frank's in Gloversville isn't too far from Saratoga.
Yes, and only a few minutes out of the way if you pick the thruway at 27 in Amsterdam (which is the quickest way from Saratoga IMO). OK stock of handguns, quite a few rifles and shotguns and very good selection of reloading supplies.

Tims in Elbridge is about 15 minutes off of exit 39 on the west side of Syracuse also. Very good selection of handguns and rifles.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Yes, and only a few minutes out of the way if you pick the thruway at 27 in Amsterdam (which is the quickest way from Saratoga IMO). OK stock of handguns, quite a few rifles and shotguns and very good selection of reloading supplies.

Tims in Elbridge is about 15 minutes off of exit 39 on the west side of Syracuse also. Very good selection of handguns and rifles.
Pretty much this. The best for reloading supplies around, lots of long guns, and not a huge selection of handguns, but 2 display counters worth of the most popular. Great prices too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you call Butternut ahead of time he will send his grandson in to meet you on saturdays by appointment. I should have thought to mention that in my first post. Would have had to have called yesterday.
which is a great option of his grandson would actually sell you something without Bill being there. I've sent quite a few people there and every one of them was disappointed because of his outrages prices or unable to even buy anything.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just left Butternut Sports a few minutes ago on my way home. He's asking $45 for a beat up Mossberg forend and $325 for an 870 that's in peices in a box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't been to Frank's in ages - thanks for the reminder. Think I'll stop by Bass Pro and Frank's tomorrow, maybe Lock, Stock and BBL too. So long as it doesn't snow, I'm looking forward to the road trip.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Franks is well worth the stop. You could also stop at Taylor and Vadney in Rotterdam and American Shooter supply on central ave Albany.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts