New York Firearms Forum banner

Transporting handguns (history inside)

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BrianS 
#1 ·
Well I'm in Maryland for my grandfathers funeral and I just learned I'm going to bringing 3 handguns back with me...

I have a 1970 Colt Gold cup national match 1911 in .45

A H&R model 732 revolver chambered in 32 s&w

and the holy grail:

a MINT condition serial matched Colt model 1850 Navy that was carried by my third great grandfather in the civil war.

now the BP pistol I don't have to add to my permit right?

Now I called the NY state police and since I'm transferring to myself in NY I'm able to transport them to ny myself as long as there locked and what not but I have to turn them into the local state police headquarters (canandaigua) to have them checked over and added to my permit.

#2 ·
You don't have to add the BP pistol to your permit provided you do not have the necessary components to fire it. So, if you have the black powder and balls, get it registered on your permit. If not, then you don't have to.

Sorry about your grandfather, but congrats on the new guns.

#3 ·
A safer bet would be to ship them to an FFL and let them hold on to them while your permit amendments clear. Using an FFL will cost more, but you'll have a reasonable expectation that the guns will be returned to you in the same condition they were sent. You also won't run the risk of getting arrested carrying pistols that aren't listed on your permit. Not all the cops are on the same page about this stuff, and there's no recourse for you if the guns come out of the trooper evidence room damaged or abused.

#6 ·
Do NOT turn them into the police, use trustworthy ffl.

Drop them off and be sure to get photos and full documentation of the guns and what shop they are at.

Then visit your county clerk get them added and go pick them up as quickly as possible.

#10 ·
Good luck finding an FFL that will accept handguns shipped from a private owner.

I have turned in pistols to the police to have them added onto my permit, it was simple. I might suggest using the local sheriffs instead of the state police for something like this.

Call the sheriffs office and talk to someone about it.

#13 ·
I already have an ffl lined up. But I will give the sheriffs dept a call and get there input on this.

Thanks bob, but he's in a better place now... Sad because my grandmother just passed 3 months ago.
That sucks man. Hopefully you can take posession of the firearms once you're back in this hell hole.

#14 ·
I've had friends who've had to add pistols to permits from deceased members. They brought them to the sheriff's, the sheriff's test fired it and sent the casing to Albany, ran their checks and they got the pistol back without much time. Not sure if they even do the casing thing anymore; I heard the crime lab in Albany closed. Good luck in your transport

#16 ·
I know a couple of people who went both ways on transporting pistols to New York to have added to their permits, The FFL was easier and more timely then handing the gun over to Law Enforcement, Probably because your dealing with ussally one person. In Law Enforcemant you have mulitipule people involved with different views on the transaction, Trying to get the same person you delt with originally might be difficult. Either way will work, but FFL is less of a hassle and more timely. Sorry you recieved the handguns this way, but we all will meet our maker some day down the road. The Colt 1850 would be a fun one to shoot, I'd love to shoot a gun my Great, Great, Great Grandfather shot back in the Civil War. I'd have to shoot it at least one cylinder full, low powder charge. The others I'd shoot as well, But not that often.

#17 ·
Why not call your local PD and ask them if they will hold them for you until you amend your permit. You ARE risking arrest transporting the guns without them listed on your permit. Ask them if you can ship the guns to them for safe keeping. Much cheaper than using an LGS, they would charge a transfer fee for each gun. No way around the shipping though.

#18 ·
I plan on using the h&r for a summer carry,
the 1911 will be a rare occasion target gun and "fancy carry" in a shoulder rig

the 1850 will be cleaned oiled and put away.... Someday when I figure out what caliber it is I may add it to my permit and "test fire" it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.