New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this has probably been asked before, but what is considered a "locking box" for transport? I live in Onondaga Cty, and I read that in addition to using a trigger lock, ammo separate from weapon, in the truck of the vehicle...The handgun(s) must be in a locking box. Seems a little bit excessive, but thats NYS. So what are some examples of an acceptable locking box for transport.

Thanks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Where are you transporting it to!? o_O Is that a county restriction or something? Here you can have them on you and loaded going where you are allowed...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean while driving in the car....to and from the range....to and from the woods, etc. I read on OC Sherrif website that the gun must be trigger locked, in a locked box, and in the trunk while transporting. I just went to the website a few moments ago, and I cannot find that information now.

Pistol License Rules and Regulations 2010

I have a sportsmans restriction handgun permit, and I want to make sure that if for some reason I was to get pulled over while comming from the range or where ever, if I had my gun in the car, I'd be compliant with the law.

Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hey everyone, this has probably been asked before, but what is considered a "locking box" for transport? I live in Onondaga Cty, and I read that in addition to using a trigger lock, ammo separate from weapon, in the truck of the vehicle...The handgun(s) must be in a locking box. Seems a little bit excessive, but thats NYS. So what are some examples of an acceptable locking box for transport.

Thanks.
Your best bet is to call the permit office/ sheriffs and ask them how they want it transported.....

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Agree with Justin, but FWIW I keep a Pelican case in my PU with a cable lock around the rear seat. I think the idea is that gun and ammo are not readily and easily accessible in the heat of the moment. Keep ammo separated and make a reasonable attempt to secure handgun and you should be just fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Exactly what cg just stated. Any cheap metal, lockable box (padlock is best) is fine, cable locked to spare tire or body support in trunk - even better. It's tough in our county.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what cg just stated. Any cheap metal, lockable box (padlock is best) is fine, cable locked to spare tire or body support in trunk - even better. It's tough in our county.
So even like an old metal tool box? (outfitted with foam and padding of course).

Well I'll just go down to the OCS office and find out, I need to go anyways for an ammendment.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So even like an old metal tool box? (outfitted with foam and padding of course).

Well I'll just go down to the OCS office and find out, I need to go anyways for an ammendment.

Thanks everyone.
Make sure you speak to someone who knows the law, not just any officer standing around who is willing to give you their personal opinion.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
The level of confusion in NY in regards to our PP's blow me away. EVERY PP in NY State is a license to carry! Regardless of the restrictions that a local Judge puts on them. Going to and from ranges, if you have a Target/Hunting, can be and should be carried concealed upon the person. No where in Penal code 400 does it state that the weapon needs to be under lock and key unloaded in the trunk. If you are going to the range or participating in an event that you restrictions cover, you are legal in carrying the gun, both in the letter of the law as well as the spirit of the law.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
What do you say to the judge that says in his restriction that the pistols needs to be under lock and key unloaded in the trunk?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Replying to RayKnobs. If the judge put that sort of restriction on the permit, he is superceeding NYS Penal Law. Not being a judge or lawyer, I wouldn't think that he can do that. If so, the OP's permit wouldn't be called a carry concealed permit.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Replying to RayKnobs. If the judge put that sort of restriction on the permit, he is superceeding NYS Penal Law. Not being a judge or lawyer, I wouldn't think that he can do that. If so, the OP's permit wouldn't be called a carry concealed permit.
He can't. Restrictions have no legal power in NYS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts