New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle use to have a pistol permit and pistol in WVA (?) decades ago... 30-40yrs. He got in a major car accident and was moved back to NY, and his pistol came with him. I'm not sure where it is now. I'm not sure the status of his permit. Apparently it's not legal to transport to NY or have in NY now.

Question is... how can he transfer it to me, with a valid NYS pistol permit? Can I just register it here in NY? Or does it have to be sent to a FFL in the state he was legal with, then transferred back to me/NY?

Question 2: if it's too expensive or too much of a hassle, can he just surrender it to authorities without trouble?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If he holds no NYS pistol permit and lives in NY he is illegally in possession of the firearm. They will NOT allow the transfer to a valid permit holder.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If he holds no NYS pistol permit and lives in NY he is illegally in possession of the firearm. They will NOT allow the transfer to a valid permit holder.
I beg to differ. I have turned in a few unregistered pistols under amnesty. They run the numbers and if it comes back clean you can put it on your permit. Process only took a few days and was no cost other than the standard amendmenet fee.

The OP should call his licensing office and explain the problem. If for some reason they will not do it it will need to be brought to a out of state FFL and transferred to a NY FFL. It is no problem to surrender it if that is the route they want to go. Wait for a gun turn in and at least get $50 for it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I beg to differ. I have turned in a few unregistered pistols under amnesty. They run the numbers and if it comes back clean you can put it on your permit. Process only took a few days and was no cost other than the standard amendmenet fee.

The OP should call his licensing office and explain the problem. If for some reason they will not do it it will need to be brought to a out of state FFL and transferred to a NY FFL.
If he is in possession of the pistol, and he holds no NYS permit, he is in illegal possession of the firearm. You can't even hold a pistol in the store without a permit legally.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If he is in possession of the pistol, and he holds no NYS permit, he is in illegal possession of the firearm. You can't even hold a pistol in the store without a permit legally.
I am not debating that its illegal to have an unregistered pistol. I disagree with your statement that it cannot be transferred to a permit holder.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I am not debating that its illegal to have an unregistered pistol. I disagree with your statement that it cannot be transferred to a permit holder.
Ah. Well, amendments around here ask where the pistol is coming from, wither a permit holder or a business, and our class instructor said specifically to NOT put in a pistol that is not currently owned by an FFL or Permit holder because it will be rejected as an illegal pistol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cavalry guy is correct. I know personally of several different persons who came into possession of unregistered pistols within NY state. A check on the serial numbers was done, pistol added to their permits. Not a big deal. A couple were WW II bringbacks, a few were found in storage in the estates.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Ah. Well, amendments around here ask where the pistol is coming from, .
It would be coming from the police department because his uncle would have to turn it over to have it become legal again.

Calvary's advise to call your county clerk was right on.

This stuff happens all the time. I have done it with two pistols.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Cavalry is correct, I did the same thing. I had called the Sheriffs office to advise them of a gun that I had come across and I wanted register it. A detective came to my house to pick up the gun, he ran the numbers and came back clean. I was allowed to add that gun to my permit. It was a beautiful Colt Detective Special built in 1972.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I turned in an unregistered pistol (my Grandfather's WWII sidearm - 1911A1 Remington Rand) under amnesty to the Sheriff. NYS has an exclusion in place that gives a resident 15 days to turn in a pistol that is "found" while (for example) sifting through a deceased grandparent's estate. The process of turning in the pistol varies by County. In some Counties, it seems that the local authorities can run the serial number and if the number comes back clean, the pistol can be registered on someone's permit rather quickly. Niagara County unfortunately has a painfully slow process - the Sheriff's office hands the pistol over to the pistol permit investigator and it takes at least 6 months for the serial to clear. I turned my grandfather's sidearm in nearly a year ago and it's still sitting at the pistol permit office. Been waiting for the call back that it's ready for me to amend to my permit, I'll have to call and start hassling them if I don't hear back soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts