New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What training schools and/or classes have you attended and which ones would you like to attend within the next 12 months?

Me personally I haven't been to any yet but have plans on attend a few classes from RonLauinger and MDTS.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have only taken the NRA basic pistol class out at GCL. My goal is to take an OC class, an open handed general defense class, a knife class, and another gun class by this time next year. I start a new job in two weeks and will be moving sometime after that, so my plate has been full for the past year and will remain so for at least a couple months.

Long term, I'd like to get proficient with a handgun, rifle and shotgun to compete in 3 gun style matches, IPSC or DSM matches.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I will be training at United States Shooting Academy in OK later this month and plan on taking a carbine class with MagPul Dynamics sometime this year and a pistol class with Larry Vickers next spring.

Oh, I forgot to mention SouthNarc will be here in Syracuse for AMIS (see course announcement) in a couple weeks. :-[

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChrisFry said:
I will be training at United States Shooting Academy in OK later this month and plan on taking a carbine class with MagPul Dynamics sometime this year and a pistol class with Larry Vickers next spring.
After taking a few local classes I really want to try out one of the magpul carbine classes. Is the Vickers course next year the one in NY?

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
yeah I'd like to take some pistol classes once I get my permit also!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I took a class at GCL last winter with Dave Jenkins. I think it was called defensive pistol basics I and II. It was normally two 4hr. classes and he put them together to make a full day.

I took the NRA basic pistol class but that was like 12 years ago I think.

Over the next 12 months I might take an OC spray class. I'm not sure what else, if anything. I'd like to take another pistol class but it depends what the schedule is like and what my friends call me and bug me to take.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
darkvibe said:
I took a class at GCL last winter with Dave Jenkins. I think it was called defensive pistol basics I and II. It was normally two 4hr. classes and he put them together to make a full day.
Dave has done a lot of training with Insights from what I understand. They are a Tier 1 training provider and offer some really great courses according to some people I know. How were the classes you did with Dave?

I think Insights is going to be at GCL for a Tactical Rifle class sometime very soon. Know anything about that?

I tried to make it to their Vehicle Tactics course at the GCL last fall (07) but had a schedule conflict and could not attend. I hope they do that class here sometime again soon.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I really liked the class with Dave. It was my first training and it was geared for people like me. We covered some classroom type things in the morning like deescalation and a little bit of law stuff. He didn't get too much into that, probably for legal reasons. Then we did dry fire, trigger reset, draw, clearing jams and did a lot of range drills involving reloading, moving and shooting. Even though it was a full day it was pretty revealing on how much there really is to learn.

He arranges the class where insights instructors fly in to rochester and do a 2 day class at GCL every year. I think it's usually in February.

I was over at GCL today and saw a sign hanging at the rifle range for a class with Larry Vickers. At least I think that was the name. I saw the sign and remembered you mentioned him in your post above.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
darkvibe said:
I really liked the class with Dave. It was my first training and it was geared for people like me. We covered some classroom type things in the morning like deescalation and a little bit of law stuff. He didn't get too much into that, probably for legal reasons. Then we did dry fire, trigger reset, draw, clearing jams and did a lot of range drills involving reloading, moving and shooting. Even though it was a full day it was pretty revealing on how much there really is to learn.

He arranges the class where insights instructors fly in to rochester and do a 2 day class at GCL every year. I think it's usually in February.

I was over at GCL today and saw a sign hanging at the rifle range for a class with Larry Vickers. At least I think that was the name. I saw the sign and remembered you mentioned him in your post above.
Very cool.

Yes, that is probably the same class with L. Vickers and I went back and looked at the email about it and it is in Albion, NY.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate knowing that the program I offer is well received. By the way, I do have a few slots left for the August 3 DPS101 class and then the DPS201 on the 17th.

Feel free to email me or keep in touch at the club guys.

I'll be there tomorrow in the AM for a lesson and then cleaning up our storage area. Stop in and say hey

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RochPersDef said:
Hey,

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate knowing that the program I offer is well received. By the way, I do have a few slots left for the August 3 DPS101 class and then the DPS201 on the 17th.

Feel free to email me or keep in touch at the club guys.

I'll be there tomorrow in the AM for a lesson and then cleaning up our storage area. Stop in and say hey
Dave, can you PM me more info on those classes? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
FYI everyone:

I have three seats left for next Sunday's DPS 101 class (Defensive Pistol Skills 101).

Here are the details:

Sunday, August 3 8am to 6pm
Location: Genesee Conservation League, 1570 Old Penfield Rd. 14624
Cost: 85.00 per person

Dave and the instructors of Rochester Personal Defense have taken the Defensive Firearms Skills Classes 1 and 2 and combined them into Defensive Firearms Shooting Skills 101

Firearms Training

* Firearm safety
* Legalities and justification in self defense (Article 35)
* De-escalation and disengagement from an encounter
* Verbal commands
* Drawing the handgun effectively and safely
* Trigger control and manipulation
* Malfunctions and stoppage clearing
* Tactical vs combat reloading
* Movement of line while engaging your target

You will get to practice all of the skills with an unloaded handgun until you are comfortable, then you will get to go live on the range.

Note: This is not a basic level class. If you have never fired a handgun before, you should look to attending an NRA Basic Pistol class or similar training before attending this class. You must be familiar and comfortable with your handgun to attend this class. All attendees will be asked to provide verifiable experience as well as a NY State Pistol Permit. If you have any questions, call before registering.

Equipment needed: Eye and ear protection, A working and reliable firearm, 300 rounds of ammunition, 3 magazines or speedloaders with holders, a quality strong side type holster, comfortable clothing, ie: shoes and appropriate clothing (no sandals or flops). We will shoot unless there is bitter cold, a downpour, or lightning. Dress for the weather of the day.

If you have any questions, contact Dave at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Bump ity bump

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Thanks everyone.....the class is full.

I'll be setting another up for later this year. Maybe even a winter training class. Same ad the DPS 101, but in the snow/cold.

Those of you that are attending Sunday, see you then!!!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I may have mentioned in another post:

DPS 101 Firearms training

November 8, 2008

8am to 6pm

Genesee Conservation League
1570 Old Penfield Rd
Rochester, NY 14612

85.00 per person

Bring:

A working and reliable firearm of a defensive nature
A strong side, quality holster (no shoulder holsters please)
200 rounds of ammo
Eye and ear protection
Water and snacks
Notebook and pen/pencil
Minimum of 3 magazines or speedloaders with carriers
Appropriate and comfortable clothing for the weather.

Signup by hitting www.safeinrochester.com/firearms, and use the link to pay via Paypal. If you want to use another option, email me.

Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
RochPersDef said:
FYI everyone:

I have three seats left for next Sunday's DPS 101 class (Defensive Pistol Skills 101).

Here are the details:

Sunday, August 3 8am to 6pm
Location: Genesee Conservation League, 1570 Old Penfield Rd. 14624
Cost: 85.00 per person

Dave and the instructors of Rochester Personal Defense have taken the Defensive Firearms Skills Classes 1 and 2 and combined them into Defensive Firearms Shooting Skills 101

Firearms Training

* Firearm safety
* Legalities and justification in self defense (Article 35)
* De-escalation and disengagement from an encounter
* Verbal commands
* Drawing the handgun effectively and safely
* Trigger control and manipulation
* Malfunctions and stoppage clearing
* Tactical vs combat reloading
* Movement of line while engaging your target

You will get to practice all of the skills with an unloaded handgun until you are comfortable, then you will get to go live on the range.

Note: This is not a basic level class. If you have never fired a handgun before, you should look to attending an NRA Basic Pistol class or similar training before attending this class. You must be familiar and comfortable with your handgun to attend this class. All attendees will be asked to provide verifiable experience as well as a NY State Pistol Permit. If you have any questions, call before registering.

Equipment needed: Eye and ear protection, A working and reliable firearm, 300 rounds of ammunition, 3 magazines or speedloaders with holders, a quality strong side type holster, comfortable clothing, ie: shoes and appropriate clothing (no sandals or flops). We will shoot unless there is bitter cold, a downpour, or lightning. Dress for the weather of the day.

If you have any questions, contact Dave at [email protected]
I know this is an OLDER post, but for all the subjects covered, it appears to be a really GOOD deal... I look forward to maybe attending one of these classes in 2009 as a comparison to other Defensive Courses I have taken in the past.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I'm putting together the 2009 schedule now. There is a possible date of April for the DPS 101. You'll know as soon as I get it set.

dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts