New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys, don't get me wrong, but hear me out. So many guys carry pistols for personal protection but have little clue how to use it and it shows way too often. When was the last time you went to an outdoor range while it was raining,,,, ran around with barricades and multiple targets, sliped alittle, got muddy, got your pistol all gunked up, shot alot, and got a good understanding that shooting in the rain is ALOT different than shooting on a smooth concrete foundation with your coat off, and some little vest on??? OK,, how about going to the range when the wind is blowing, it is 5 degrees outside and it just dumped a foot of snow.

Most of you guys carry guns in these conditions,, you go to the ATMs, the grocery stores, the party stores, etc..... and living in Western and upper New York, it is far from being a dry, warm, smooth foundation day, every day. In the winter you wear big gloves, big coats and you wear boots, when it rains, you probably run to your car so you don't get wet??? sound familiar any one???

If you carry a weapon for personal defense, to be profficient with it means knowing how and when to use it at all distances,,, it also means knowing how and when to use it in all climates, on all surfaces, as well as during all lighting conditions.

Outdoor ranges have my vote. I hold courses all year round,, in the snow, in the rain and at night, heck, one class we even hit 5 degrees during training in January (REAL FUN THOUGH) and another class we had buckets of water that were used to keep the mud out of the magazines (water won't hurt your gun, but mud and dirt will).

Always keep training as real as it can get,,, so you get cold and wet,, so you have to clean your firearm,, SO WHAT.. Remember, you are fighting for your life,, isn't getting cold and wet worth it,,, just my opinion..

Train Hard, be safe
www.LMIInc.com

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
Great stuff!

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I was once a good weather only shooter who would only shoot when the weather was favorable or if during the winter, the weather wasn't too cold. If the weather conditions were unfavorable I'd shoot inside. Now I'm completely opposite! I don't want to shoot inside and if the weather is bad I want to shoot in it more! I know this past Sunday the rain was really coming down but didn't last into the time we were shooting but I was there for one of the winter shoots where the temperature was freezing and the wind was blowing and it was great! I look forward to more of the weekend shoots.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allstar Graphics said:
Right on Ron. I read alot about your training on ar15.com. Thats why your the man!
Don't be spreading rummors now, ;D, I just have this mindset that I will do everything
I have to, in order to go home at the end of each day and see my family.. I have always trained that way,
and now I teach that way. Some say it is hard corps, I say 'I'm going home,,, PERIOD!...

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I never gave the weather much thought. Good point. When I took my first defensive class it was inside (but FREEZING) I quickly went from "no problem, I can do that" to dropping mags on reloads and clearing a misfire which was actually just me not letting the sear reset so i'm dumping a live round onto the ground. I little stress sure makes things a lot different.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Ron:

I knew there was a reason that I thought you were OK. It's that we are both dedicated nutcases!!!!

Who the heck would go out and shoot in the pouring rain? (Ron and Dave)

Who would be out on the range when it is below zero, blowing snow, and in a light shirt? You take a guess!

Who would be lying on the ground, in the snow or in a puddle, shooting with crap all over their safety glasses?

You got it! Dave or Ron!

Everyone, this is important. If you only practice when it is nice out, then what the heck are you gonna do when it's crappy out? Always, always train for the worst case scenario with a good outcome. If that means flopping your butts down onto the ground and shooting a target on the way up while retreating to cover, then that's what you should do!!!

I've been working with a woman for over a year and she demands the most realistic training possible. Well, I give it to her! In one session, it was pouring rain and I had her take her raincoat off, lie on the ground while I softly slapped her (playfully everyone....) to disorient her. Then she was supposed to fight me off, recover, draw her airsoft gun and shoot me. A couple times, she just decided to get the airsoft out and shoot me right off the start. Way to go!

Afterwards, she said that was the best thing she has ever done.

So....who's up for a short drill session next time it's real crappy out? I'll be there.....

dave

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Anytime you want to host a mini training session/shoot in terrible weather let me know, I'm in. Do you know if there are any plans to make any type of action ranges at GCL for rifles?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
OK. Email me and I can give you my number. I am usually at the club Mon, Weds, and Thurs afternoons to teach or practice. I get there about 3;30 or so. If it's crappy out (rain) then there's a chance I'll shoot

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DAVE, You should come join us then at Canandaigua,,, We shoot every other Sunday, all year round,, Rain, Shine, Snow, Wind, Blizzard, etc...... You'll love it,, It is basically what you do at GCL, but outside, often with the wooden barricades, or shoot house, or drag dummy, baby, etc... Just let me know if you are interested,, the next shoot is this sunday. When we meet we run pistol and shotguns

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I'd love to Ron. This Sunday I am doing a new member safety cert. lately, my weekends are full of either teaching or training in some manner. I actually have to schedule anything on a weekend a few weeks in advance. I guess things could be worse!

I've chatted with some of the shooters from there and they like what you do as well. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying ;D

Schedule is getting more busy, I am now a NLB instructor (No Lie Blades, which is a GSA Vendor), and we are scheduling knife courses with the Govt, Military and LE, which is a good thing, but it will take be out of the state ALOT,, oh well, CQC, Combative Knife and Knife Defense are my favorites ;D

It would be great to see you out there,,, Maybe during a ZOMBIE shoot :eek:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
OK, so I have a list of people that want to shoot in the rain, snow, cold, whatever. This may be a short notice thing, so if you can't make it, OK. I might even put together a short chat about the skills or techniques. This way, you could learn how to do it, then practice on your own when you can.

I'll let you know if and when I can fit it in.....lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts