New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I traded a friend of mine a few weeks ago and wanted to get some opinions. I will have pics up soon, but my computer is down and I can't seem to upload from my iPad... Anyways, I traded an 870 express super mag with slug barrel only, bushnell trophy red dot and a cheapo sling for what I have determined(via another thread on here) is a 1951 Winchester model 94! I have already put 100 rounds through it am am very pleased with its accuracy. It is all original and in what would say is good shape. There is some minor scratches on the metal, and a few marks in the stock, but aside from that it is fine. What I'm wondering is did I make a good deal?

Oh, and I determined its date via the serial number search that is in another thread in case anyone is wondering...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Depends who you talk to.... You know have a pre 64 Winchester that alot of guys collect.... The 870 was useablity only... The 94 is collectable by alot of guys.... To the right guy I am sure it is a $450 rifle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
what caliber is the 94?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The way I see it is if you are happy with what you ended up with, it is a good trade. Doesn't matter who made out better or worse if both parties are happy. I traded a S&W 910 and a Glock 23L for a Savage Model 110 in 300 Rem ultra mag with a scope. I didn't like either pistol and I can always use another rifle. I eventually sold off the rifle, (too much recoil).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 30-30

·
Registered
687 Posts
probably would be up on your buddy more if it was in 32 special. actual condition of both would make a difference but in 30-30 you could be up $150 on the deal

·
Registered
112 Posts
The way I see it; shotguns are a dime a dozen. A good 30-30 you can pass down to grandkids. Hopefully the grandkids will re-load, the price of 30-30 has gotten out of control.

Congrats, a good 30-30 is a keeper for sure!!!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
As others have said, if you're happy with it it was a good trade. You can pick up another 870 anywhere if you want another one. That Win Mod 94 is a keeper, IMO, having made its significant contribution to American gun history. I've got an '82 (in .307 Win - oddball caliber, lol) that may dad gave me for my 16th birthday that I would't trade for anything. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree with DSD. Of course there's a money value involved, but also is mental value - what's it worth to you? and I think that if you can answer "it's worth trading my shotgun for", then yes, I'd say you got a good deal.

The monetary value of something is ONLY relevant to what someone is willing to pay... if there's no willing, there's no value, but that doesn't mean that someone doesn't want it.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
You definitely came out on top. To many collectors, a pre 64 Winchester is a solid $450 or better gun. Of course condition and market would be a factor but you must remember that it's no longer being produced. The pre 64 had a milled lifter and nearly all internal parts are superior to the post 64's. (except for a few that were made using the old parts) There is a very distinct sound/feel to that gun when working the action as opposed to the post 64's. With that said, DO NOT redo anything on the gun. It's worth more with the scratches and dings and whatever than it would be all nice and pretty again. You have a desirable gun and yes ... they are a great shooter!! I don't know too many that don't really like the Winchester 94 other than those that want to put scopes on, but the 30.30 really isn't a long range rifle so I see no need for scopes on them anyways. Keep it oiled up and clean as that gun will only go up in value. Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Anyone can get a rem 870. Pre-64 model 94s are a thing of beauty and will continue to increase in value. Gun that easy to find and still made OR a 60 year old collector firearm that is in demand = you win. Does it have a saddle ring....?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone can get a rem 870. Pre-64 model 94s are a thing of beauty and will continue to increase in value. Gun that easy to find and still made OR a 60 year old collector firearm that is in demand = you win. Does it have a saddle ring....?
No saddle ring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updated with pics!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm just sayin, this was all his idea. I mentioned having wanted and older rifle, and then brought up the series they ran on Hatfield McCoy's, and he suggested the trade lol. I had 2 870's, now down to 1 of course. I guess the best part that I wasn't going to say was that I got the 870 I traded him for free when my cousin got arrested. He had to turn over all his guns or sell them, so I convinced him to just give it to me as I would get more use out of it than just turning it in. I've shot this thing and I have to say, I really do love it. Last time I took it out I was hitting a steal plate at 125yds out with no problem from the iron sights. He must have zeroed it at some point, which is more than I can say for the 870. I know the zero was off for sure because my son was messing with the dials on it one day hahaha.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts