New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im 21 years old and I dropped out of highschool as soon as I turned 18 and got my G.E.D being ignorant and thinking I would be plenty happy working in factory's for a small wage my entire life.. over 3 years later im now realizing that unless I go to school for something im probably never gonna have a job that I don't hate so I should go to a trade school and do something I might actually ENJOY

I cant decide what to do though... I did go to a vocational school in HS for Auto Body and I did like that so maybe that would be a good route for me (not a bad paying job either) Im also considering welding and HVAC... the biggest problem I see with welding as im sure being under a mask all day next to hot metal in the middle of summer would get old QUICK

Not really sure why I am posting this but if anybody has any good trades that I should look into name em... also recomendations on schools would be good... Doesn't have to be in NY I actually prefer that its not for obvious reasons

·
Registered
994 Posts
In Albany area look into the Union building trades apprenticeships such as electrician, plumber/steamfitter, etc... It took my son about 2 yrs. to get in but he did, just get your name on the list for the test.

The Watervliet Arsenal recently had an ad looking for machinist apprentices starting around $16+/hr. Look at USAJobs.com or something like that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm currently at MCC in the HVAC certificate program and I love it. If you're into this kind of thing I would definitely look into it. I didn't realize it before starting the program but the HVAC/R tech not only has to know about the heating and cooling systems but also needs to be a pipefitter and an electrician as well. It's cool ****.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I'm a machinist/tool maker. Good trade to get in. If you can hook up with an apprenticeship, you'll get paid while learning a trade. I served mine back in the late '70's-early '80s and don't regret it for a minute. You can always get a job if something happens to the place you work at. $16 an hour during an apprenticeship is about the right starting rate. You would get increases in pay as you progress. The NY State approved apprenticeships are 4 years/8000 hours plus correspondence school class work. Check them out. Machinists are getting scarce, Bloomberg Financial had an article just a week or so ago about tool makers being in demand as the supply is short.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Look into the Air force Aircraft Mechanic or a military diesel mechanic. Big money when you get out. If I could have done things over again that's what I would have done.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm currently at MCC in the HVAC certificate program and I love it. If you're into this kind of thing I would definitely look into it. I didn't realize it before starting the program but the HVAC/R tech not only has to know about the heating and cooling systems but also needs to be a pipefitter and an electrician as well. It's cool ****.
I have a friend who goes to school for HVAC and he only has good things to say about it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts