New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just watching Pawn Stars and saw the same Remco toy bazooka come in that I had when I was a kid. Now this was fifty years ago.
(BTW, the value on the toy bazooka was $450-500. Wow! I knew I should have kept that stuff, the comic books also.)

anyway, I remember that along with the bazooka, having a solid wood and metal '03 Springfield, and a real looking plastic M14 that had a battery in it so when you pulled the trigger it would make a rat a tat full auto noise and a motor would drive the flash hider on the muzzle in and out. I know there were others but those still are in memory.

The last toy was a real looking UZI motorized squirt gun I had in college for squirt gun wars we used to have in the dorms.

You youngsters played video games. We old guys would go outside and really waged war.

Anyway any remembrances of your toy, (or digital) arsenals?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I was too busy buying duct tape to reinforce the tires of our go-kart that we kept burning up doing donuts to worry about toy guns lol...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Oh, we popped the muffler off and welded on a straight pipe that gave us another kind of Rat a tat tat (and blue cone flame at night) lol... That was real fun driving around the neighborhood after dark. No brakes either, lol...

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was too busy buying duct tape to reinforce the tires of our go-kart that we kept burning up doing donuts to worry about toy guns lol...
By the time I had hit 10 or 11, I too had discovered the wonderful ness of canibalizing Grampa's old push mower for it's power plant and bolting in on a home made frame and axles with steering swiped off my brother's Soapbox Derby car.. A year later came McCulloch powered karts on a track. But that's another story.

Oh, on the homemade kart. Brakes? We don't need no stinkin' brakes!

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was really jealous of my buddies, the grape farmer kids. At Jr. high, age 13, they had field cars. Nothing like barreling down a farm lane way at 60 mph in a rusted out 59 Biscayne, (or Belair? It only had two tail lights per side versus the Impala's 3,) with Flintstone floors!

In our senior year, because their Dad's gave them a share from the farm for their work they had brand new cars like SS 454 El Caminos and Chevelles, and Boss Mustangs. Not bad for being 17 years old.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That bazooka was awesome. I want one. I had some electric noise making select fire M16 toys. The where like full desert camo. They came out during the beginning of the Gulf War. My cousin and I had fun raiding each other in the woods of hours. They would never market that in todays world of sensitive wussies. I turned out perfectly fine. If they saw a kid with a toy like that there would be a swat team there in no time.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
My brother and I got Tin Can Alley in 1977 as a gift from our parents.

Just imagine what kind of havoc this would wreak today in the People's Republic of New York. BTW, we lived on Long Island at that time.

Notice, there are no dayglo colors painted on the rifle.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I saw that Pawn Stars last night too. That bazooka was pretty darn cool. I'm not quite old enough to have had one of those, but I, too, had the Uzi squirt gun. I think it still lives in my parents attic. I also had the ever popular blue plastic walther looking gun that shot little yellow hard rubber balls, and the version that shot disks.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
I was a missguided youth growing up in the 60's/70's. North Korea never stood a chance w/my brothers and I in the neighborhood. With two brothers, my parents bought us crew served weapons. GI Joe and Nerf were for sissies. "Political Correctness" was NOT in my dad's vocabulary. Cable TV and video games did not exist! Andy Cuomo is about my age, I suspect he spent his youth playing with himself and living a sheltered life in his parents mansion nursing on his mom's teat until he was a teenager.

The short list:

Defender Dan MG:

Tiger Joe Tank:

Marine Raider Bazooka:

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Continued:

Johnny Reb Cannon:

Monkey Gun:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
That tin can alley is the ****! I wish I had that ****. But I'm just part of the "problem generation" or so I'm told ;)

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That shook loose another toy I had.
The "Wanted Dead or Alive" (starring Steve McQueen no less,) Mares leg pistol

image.jpg

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That Jonny Reb cannon reminded me how the Civil War Centennial in the early sixties had us 9 and 10 year olds digging in and waging war dressed in blue and grey caps while carrying plastic muskets.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Here's me circa 1973?? and one of mine (real metal cap gun) eerily similar to my Ruger SP101 EDC now. It was in the cards.

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I grew up in the 90's and the 2000's so i just had Airsoft and Paintball...

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Had all kinds of cap guns and would disappear in the woods for hours with my friends. Eventually the cap guns turned into bb/pellet guns and we would tromp all over the fields and woods with those.
I had an rc tank with rubber tracks, a barrel that went up/down and fired plastic rubber tipped darts. I spent hours setting up lincoln log villages to shoot them down with the tank or plow them down. I would test different building and log configurations to see what stood up to the tank's pounding the best.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I built a MP5 lookalike out of wood. It had detachable mags, single point sling and collapsible stock. I put an inert 32acp bullet in the top of the mags. I made a M9 beretta lookalike out of wood too. We used to play "hide and seek" with our wooden guns. We'd spend all day building them in Grandads shop then all night chasing each other around. I built a "ma deuce" one time. It was so cool! Until grandad found out I sawed the handle off his broom to make the barrel... Then we got paintball guns. I watched my buddy smoke my other buddy in the face at about 200 yds. Taking pot shots as we were getting set up. Luckiest shot I've ever seen. Paintball in the old dairy barn at my buddy's house was awesome!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts