New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with the Town of Colonie since the ones I have read here was very helpful to me. I scheduled an appointment with Officer Messmer on March 23rd for myself and my wife. Prior to that, we took the pistol course. The appointment was hour long and included the both of us and started out very "matter of fact" and ended with a conversation you may have with someone over dinner. Officer Messmer is a serious man and takes his job seriously. He called me back anytime I left messages for him and answered all my questions. He was very through in his investigation. My wife and I are "model" citizens and have clean records. We had good references and even better neighbors) who we were told couldn't be our references). He interviewed our neighbors and our respective bosses at work. They of courses spoke highly of us. I have been hunting for 10 years and own long guns. Today, we got a letter from the Albany County Clerk that really surprised us. It said our application was approved and w could come an pick it up. That's only 3 months without an interview with the judge required. I am curious to see if there will be administrative restrictions. I will be completely shocked if that is not the case. I am fine with the restrictions since I ha no need at this time (nor the desire) to CC. Hang it for target, hunting and home is all we need. Going to stop by a gun store to see what's in stock. Otherwise, I will buy from an online shop and have it trasfered to a good FFL in the area that has reasonable transfer fees. Any recommendations on FFL's with good inventory, prices, service, or reasonable transfer fees?

·
Registered
388 Posts
As far as FFLs go, you will get about as many opinions as you will get for the question of 'what gun should I get' (I understand you didnt ask that, but you get the point).
I bought my pistol at B&Js on Central Ave. They had a very good price for the item I wanted, I liked the service I got, and felt enough to go back more times.
I am sure that there are many other great places to buy - but I liked the accessibility, the service, and the pricing.

Best of luck with your choices...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as FFLs go, you will get about as many opinions as you will get for the question of 'what gun should I get' (I understand you didnt ask that, but you get the point).
I bought my pistol at B&Js on Central Ave. They had a very good price for the item I wanted, I liked the service I got, and felt enough to go back more times.
I am sure that there are many other great places to buy - but I liked the accessibility, the service, and the pricing.

Best of luck with your choices...
Thanks, I did buy a rifle from them before. I will give them another visit. Good point about FFL opinion.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with the Town of Colonie since the ones I have read here was very helpful to me. I scheduled an appointment with Officer Messmer on March 23rd for myself and my wife. Prior to that, we took the pistol course. The appointment was hour long and included the both of us and started out very "matter of fact" and ended with a conversation you may have with someone over dinner. Officer Messmer is a serious man and takes his job seriously. He called me back anytime I left messages for him and answered all my questions. He was very through in his investigation. My wife and I are "model" citizens and have clean records. We had good references and even better neighbors) who we were told couldn't be our references). He interviewed our neighbors and our respective bosses at work. They of courses spoke highly of us. I have been hunting for 10 years and own long guns. Today, we got a letter from the Albany County Clerk that really surprised us. It said our application was approved and w could come an pick it up. That's only 3 months without an interview with the judge required. I am curious to see if there will be administrative restrictions. I will be completely shocked if that is not the case. I am fine with the restrictions since I ha no need at this time (nor the desire) to CC. Hang it for target, hunting and home is all we need. Going to stop by a gun store to see what's in stock. Otherwise, I will buy from an online shop and have it trasfered to a good FFL in the area that has reasonable transfer fees. Any recommendations on FFL's with good inventory, prices, service, or reasonable transfer fees?
I am a bit surprised that you are okay with having your boss and neighbors interviewed in addition to your 4 references, a lo of people feel that that is rather invasive (myself included). What if you had a beef with a neighbor or your boss and they told some BS lies about you? But hey, if you like being invaded, that is your preference, whatever. As far as checking guns at a store and then buying online, that is a d*** move TBH. If you are going to a store to fell it out, handle it, then purchase it there. These guys don't make money off tire kickers, and the more people who do that will result in us losing places to check guns out. Think about it.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Goto Zacks in Round Lake. Good service and good prices on used pistols .

My experience at B&Js is terrible service. Few times it was as if I was invisible, guess I didn't look the part of a buyer as I was young (23-25).
Good selection there though no doubt.

Ive dealt with all the local FFLs around Albany. Zack's was decent.

Also Bob at Firefly can transfer handguns in for you, he is a good guy to deal with.
If you transfer a pistol in, do it through him.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I am a bit surprised that you are okay with having your boss and neighbors interviewed in addition to your 4 references, a lo of people feel that that is rather invasive (myself included). What if you had a beef with a neighbor or your boss and they told some BS lies about you? But hey, if you like being invaded, that is your preference, whatever. As far as checking guns at a store and then buying online, that is a d*** move TBH. If you are going to a store to fell it out, handle it, then purchase it there. These guys don't make money off tire kickers, and the more people who do that will result in us losing places to check guns out. Think about it.
Yes, I felt the interview with neighbors and the boss is a little invasive myself. I would assume they are pro gun? Just wondering what woulkd happen if they were not? Congrats on the permit!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Degenret, I just shared my experience. Did I want to go through a process similar to getting a security clearance to work for the CIA? No! I wish I could go to a gun store and just buy a pistol. I live in a state and a county and a town that puts up all sort of roadblocks for me to own a pistol. That is the fact. I didn't see that I had a choice but to cooperate. Fortunately, I have great relationship with everyone they talked to.

The intent for this post is to let any one in this town who wants to get a permit understand what it takes. I can't move so I had to go through the process. Albany county is tough and Colonie is even tougher.

Dieter, I will call Zack's and Bob. I have seen some great deals online at buds and impact. If the locals don't stock or can't order something, I think online is a great option! Thanks!

GuyGus, yes, they are pro gun and great neighbors. No idea what would have happened if they werent or if they didnt like me. thanks!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would buy online personally andhave it sent to BOB at firefly. I do all my transfers there and he is great! After dealing with the majority of the local gun stores in the albany/saratoga area...THEY ALL SUCK!!!! I'll buy online and save myself the headache and $$$. When we get a quality store...I'll buy from them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I am a bit shocked. Town of Colonie, Albany County, unrestricted for me and the wife. About 3 months. I guess we got a pro gun judge. Not even sure who th judge was since we didn't have an interview. I wouldn't expect everyone to get the same result though. We aren't connected or anything but our employment, age, life circumstances probably reduced the fear of the judge that we would be irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Okay, I am a bit shocked. Town of Colonie, Albany County, unrestricted for me and the wife. About 3 months. I guess we got a pro gun judge. Not even sure who th judge was since we didn't have an interview. I wouldn't expect everyone to get the same result though. We aren't connected or anything but our employment, age, life circumstances probably reduced the fear of the judge that we would be irresponsible.
The judge is the name signed on the bottom-front of your permit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will call the Clerk's office tomorrow to find out the name of the judge. Can't really figure out the name from the signature. Looks like the first name may start with a and the last name maybe something like Dueont? that last 3 letters o the last name looks like ont I think.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I will call the Clerk's office tomorrow to find out the name of the judge. Can't really figure out the name from the signature. Looks like the first name may start with a and the last name maybe something like Dueont? that last 3 letters o the last name looks like ont I think.
Might be Judge Duggan. He's the only County Judge I know of with a D last name. Don't know to much about him. Doesn't really matter since it ended well for you. You will need to know who it is as its imformation you will need when putting in amendments when purchase a new firearm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Samurai, support the gun shop of your choice, but try to make it a local shop. Online sales not only hurt local businessmen but also your locality as far as sales tax (yeah, I know no-one likes taxes, but it helps us all) and employment and hence the economy overall. Jusy Sayin,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point jonesy, I will keep that in mind for sure. Remember though, I still need a local FFL if i purchase online and the transfer fee goes to them so that is local. I have been to one shop so far and liked them Guns Inc. at Schodack. I will check others too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another recommendation for Zack's, they are nice, knowledgeable and do have decent prices for the most part, and a good selection. B&J's on Central has a bigger selection, but I half the time when I go in there I feel like they aren't interested in selling me anything, and some of their stuff is very overpriced, especially new guns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another recommendation for Zack's, they are nice, knowledgeable and do have decent prices for the most part, and a good selection. B&J's on Central has a bigger selection, but I half the time when I go in there I feel like they aren't interested in selling me anything, and some of their stuff is very overpriced, especially new guns.
Went to Zack's, great guys. I will be going back to them in the future.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Does Zacks have a good selection on quality ear protection? I have to pick up ammo this week and would rather stop at one place instead of two.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yeah they have a bunch. None of the high end types

1 - 19 of 19 Posts