New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I really hope I am in the right section. My first day on the forum so please excuse the ignorance.

I have been scouring the internet and forums looking for an answer to this question.

What are the top 10 must have guns that we are legally allowed to purchase in New York State?

The answer can be a combination of Handgun, Shotgun, Long Arm, etc. however it must be allowed in the state.

Would be great to get a discussion going. I would like to make a wish list for the future.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I guess it would depend on what you planned to do with them. Self defense? Home defense? Hunting? Large game, small game or water fowl? Target shooting? Plinking? Shooting clays? You get the idea. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Well for long guns I'd say mini 14, saiga any caliber, SU-16, a neutered AR, pretty much any bolt gun, pump shotgun. As for pistols im pretty sure most revolvers are good to go and semi autos a good 1911 is a no brainer, glocks are pretty popular on this forum personally I'm really into the FNS 9 and the beretta 92a1 at the moment. Not exactly a top ten list but close enough.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
For "must have", 10 is a lot. Now I firmly believe every man, woman and child should have as many guns as suits their fancy, but I cannot think of 10 guns that fill 10 specific roles that I think everyone must have.

There's really only 4 roles that must be filled in my opinion:

1. Concealed Carry handgun
2. Semi-auto battle rifle
3. Accurate, long range bolt gun
4. Shotgun

Everything else is gravy.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
For "must have", 10 is a lot. Now I firmly believe every man, woman and child should have as many guns as suits their fancy, but I cannot think of 10 guns that fill 10 specific roles that I think everyone must have.

There's really only 4 roles that must be filled in my opinion:

1. Concealed Carry handgun
2. Semi-auto battle rifle
3. Accurate, long range bolt gun
4. Shotgun

Everything else is gravy.
C'mon EVERYONE needs a 10/22...

And a semi auto battle rifle is less scary than an assault weapon only if it is painted in desert sand.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
There are a lot of guns available. My top 10 would look something like this:

1. Ruger 10/22
2. Mini 14
3. Bolt action hi power rifle in 308 or 30-06
4. Bastardized AR15 (with spare parts to restore to pre-SAFE should law change)
5. 12 Gauge defense shotgun
6. Lighter gauge shotgun in 410, 20 or 16 gauge
7. Long barrel 12 gauge shotgun for hunting and or trap
8. 45 handgun.. 1911
9. 9mm or 40mm handgun that can accept a double stack magazine should the law change and allow more than 10 rounds
10. Small, easy to conceal handgun

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
1) Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60
2) Remington 870 or Mossberg 590
3) Sks
4) Mini 14
5) Saiga
6) 1911
7) Bolt .308
8) 30/30 lever
9) 357 or 44 mag lever
10) 9mm edc

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Any one you can get your hands on, effectively train with and use.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My top ten owned guns are
1. Kimber Pro-Team Match 1911 for an inheretance to my son.
2. Colt 80 Series Combat Commander 1911 stainless slide & frame for a full size carry gun and inheretance for my other son.
3. S&W 642 Airweight turned out to be my everyday carry gun, Best $400 I ever spent on any gun. I shoot downed cows at a dairy farm I help out on occasionally. Shot another cow this afternoon with it.
4. Interarms 7mm mag for long range deer hunting and elk hunting.
5. Remington 788 in 243 topped with a Redfield 3x9 for shorter range deer hunting.
6. Older Marlin 336 in 30/30 for hunting deer in thickcover.
7. Ithaca model 37 16 gauge with a 4 power scope mounted for deer hunting with rifled slugs where it is shotgun only.
8. An old WesternAuto 22 rife for plinking and small game hunting, most accurate 22 in the collection of over thirty old 22 caliber rifes in the cabinet.
9. Ruger Mark2 stainless with a ten inch bull barre for shooting grouse, squirrels and other small game. Also for plinking and shooting rats at the dairy farm. Great little pistol.
10. Ruger GP100, 357mag, stainless with a six inch barrel for plinking and occaaional open carry.

The list goes on & on, but these are ten of my favorites out of the collection that will be going to the boys when I cash in my chips.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
1. 10/22
2. Bolt action in at least a 243
3. Home defense pump shotgun; 12 or 20guage
4. A good quality 1911 full size
5. 22LR semi auto, ie Ruger SR22
6. A 6" Revolver in .357
7. A good solid full size 9mm or 40cal
8. A nice concealable semi-auto; 9mm, 40or 45ACP
9. Ruger mini13 or mini30
10 Combo shot gun; bird and deer setup/

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I, much like Airbornguy, would say look at categories. I don't even care about specific guns really.

1. CCW or General Purpose handgun. Something that can be used for Home Defense and CCW comfortably. Something in the G19 size range. G19, Walther P99/PPQ, Ruger SR9c, nearly any reputable, double stack 15 round (factory) 9mm or 12 round (factory) .40. THE most important gun IMO. Can easily cover Hunting, Fun, Defense, Competition, and anything else in a single package.

2. .22LR rifle. Something to plink with. Something to enjoy and put many round down range. Something to control critters with. Remington 597. Ruger 10/22. Marlin model 60. Something along those lines.

3. Pump Action Shotgun. Endless possibilities. Consider for Home Defense and hunting. Also for fun. Trap and Rodent plinking. Mossberg 500 (family) and Remington 870 dominate here.

_____________^^^ Must haves.

4. .22LR pistol. Pistol shooting and proficiency is NOT easy. A .22 plinker will save you money while building your pistol skills. You can go 2 routes here. Target or plinker. Target 22 pistols generally have a fixed "slide" with a small bolt that moves back. These include the Ruger Mk. series and the SW 22A series. Plinker .22s match their larger caliber counterparts much more closely and include the Walther P22, Ruger SR22, S&W M&P22, and so on.

5. Long range bolt gun. For hunting out of the range of a Shotgun or just long range fun. The options here depend on you. Common calibers include .308 and .223. Makes include the Remington 700, Savage Model 10, Mossberg 4x4, and many others.

6. Hunting pistol/Large defensive pistol. When you need serious protection, but can't lug a shotgun around. Can go semi or revolver. Semi auto calibers would be the 10MM Auto, or .44 magnum (yes,them make .44Magnum semi-autos). Revolver calibers would be your big boys such as .454 Casull or .500SW. Good for a "camp gun."

7. DEEP CCW gun. For when you want to CCW, but are wearing biker shorts (or thereabouts). This is typically a .380 or even a .22LR. Not much power per say, but more of a "get me out" of a situation gun when no other options exist, and a larger gun is not an option.

_____________^^^Really good ideas.

That's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure every gun you buy can fulfill the use of "fun", and mine do, but those are some categories to hit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts