New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to PA to get my non res permit from there and wow what a different world. Walked in and 7 min later I got my permit in hand!! IT only took so long cuz the clerk had to take a phone call!! haha....

what sorta check do they do? she made a phone call for my background check and it took let time than it does to buy a long gun here. It was a very different experience than up here thats for sure!!!

Even picked up a free copy of firearm laws booklet that they had there so I can learn there laws.

Wiggled it in when wif wanted to go to rock city and look at large stones! so....ran for the border so to speak!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very nice... Not sure how long of a drive it was for you. But there are many quality gun courses you can take in NY that will help provide you with the Florida/ utah permit which would also cover PA as a carry state. Just an FYI

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice... Not sure how long of a drive it was for you. But there are many quality gun courses you can take in NY that will help provide you with the Florida/ utah permit which would also cover PA as a carry state. Just an FYI
No I know quinnow1, we were just outside the border so....and 20 bucks so..why not......kinda like trading cards...collect them all..........

those courses will be next.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2 wheeler, which PA County did you travel to. I have thought of making that drive many times but did not know where to go?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
PA is great for many reasons but I love the fact the laws are statewide (with small exception in Philly)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to McKean County in Smethport PA. It was the closest County Bldg into PA from the Olean border where we were going. Plus Im familiar with the area and kayne and bradford as we used to do dirtbiking down there. Almost 2 hrs from Rochester and about 20-30 min across the border. They were very nice and I emailed before I went to make sure.

Not sure as I didnt think I'd get the permit right on the spot either. ive read that it had to be mailed but......I had the form all filled out, she called in my background check, took my pic. about a minute later..she handed it to me and said a few words and boom. I said I thought it had to me mailed....she said nope we do it right here now.

It was so damn quick my wife and kids were still in the truck with the a/c running. faster than McDonalds!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went to McKean County in Smethport PA. It was the closest County Bldg into PA from the Olean border where we were going. Plus Im familiar with the area and kayne and bradford as we used to do dirtbiking down there. Almost 2 hrs from Rochester and about 20-30 min across the border. They were very nice and I emailed before I went to make sure.

Not sure as I didnt think I'd get the permit right on the spot either. ive read that it had to be mailed but......I had the form all filled out, she called in my background check, took my pic. about a minute later..she handed it to me and said a few words and boom. I said I thought it had to me mailed....she said nope we do it right here now.

It was so damn quick my wife and kids were still in the truck with the a/c running. faster than McDonalds!!
Man thats nice!...did you get a shake and burger too?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I live about 15 minutes from the PA border. Where exactly do you go? A county building? Will they issue a CCW if you already have a NYS CCW?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I live about 15 minutes from the PA border. Where exactly do you go? A county building? Will they issue a CCW if you already have a NYS CCW?
I went to Montrose to the Susquehanna Sheriff and did the paper work. I got mine back in 3 weeks which I'm not going to complain. I was there a whole 10-15 minutes at the most. Very nice people.

James

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
You go to the sheriff's office of the respective county. Since you're in Broome, the closest county would be Susquehanna County. The sheriff's office is located at
75 Public Avenue, Montrose, PA Google Maps
(here's what the courthouse building looks like):
11035255.jpg

Note that time to receive the permit varies by county. Some will have your permit in your hand before you walk out the door, some (such as Susquehanna) will take a couple of weeks and will mail it to you. They have a max of 45 days to approve/deny but they are a shall-issue state (meaning that they can't deny without good reason).

As far as possessing a NYS CCW permit: you are required to have an unrestricted NYS permit (note: I've heard of some counties ignoring restrictions). (edit - clarification & correction to this statement three posts down)

Some counties try to pull some BS that is not supported by law. For example, Bradford county sheriff says that the two references must either be LEOs or must live in Bradford county. This is an illegal reason to deny a permit. In fact, references are not supported by law either. The "proper" way to handle cases like the Bradford county sheriff is to submit your application anyway. Chances are, it will be approved despite what he says. If denied, you obtain a lawyer and sue them into compliance with the law.

However, since we are non-residents of PA, we can go to any county we choose. So the easier way of handling the above problem is by going to counties that follow the law, such as Susquehanna.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like a looong lunch break trip to Susquehanna is in order this week!

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like a looong lunch break trip to Susquehanna is in order this week!
You enter in the FRONT of the building. No signs were posted and I entered the back. Parking is limited so look for side streets to park. On the application it asks you what type of permit you are requesting. If you have a CCW then check the box "personal defense". Susquehanna matches what you have in NY. That is what the lady told me when I was filling out the application. Also be prepared for construction and some delays into Montrose.

James

1 - 20 of 30 Posts